Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: TEF Legends  (Read 10048 times)
Luci

Fatbury's Stalker

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: Thursday, July 21, 2011, 13:41:34 »

Surely there is 1 star in there for Alan Reeeeeeeeves   Cheesy
@MacPhlea

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Thursday, July 21, 2011, 13:47:02 »

Bob Menham (Goal Keeper) - 5 stars... without him the club would have folded financially in 1900 and there would have been none of the other players in the 5 star category or indeed a TEF...

Ok so he was the cause of our biggest defeat as a result of missing a train but even so he is without doubt the clubs biggest unsung hero (and my great grandfather)

By the turn of the 20th century, the goalkeeping spot was held by BOB MENHAM, a former Grenadier Guardsman, who had been brought to Swindon in 1898 from Wigan County . But his credentials were of the highest quality, for only fifteen months previously he had helped Everton to the F.A.Cup Final at the Crystal Palace . There, the Toffeemen had lost by the odd goal in five to Aston Villa - who were also good enough to win the League Championship that year. Menham went into the Town record books as the only goalkeeper to get his name on the score sheet - at the right end that is - and he achieved that feat twice !  His first moment of glory came in the F.A.Cup on November 21 1900 in a Fourth Qualifying Round replay, when the Bristol side Staple Hill came to the County Ground . Swindon were already 5-0 ahead when Bob exercised his authority as team captain to nominate himself as penalty-taker - and he did not waste the opportunity. Later that season, on March 13, Bob again stepped forward to strike the winning goal from the spot in a 3-2 Western League victory over Queens Park Rangers - Town’s first of a dismal season.

And it was in the capacity of club skipper that he made an appeal to the public of Swindon through the local press on behalf of his colleagues, who had agreed to accept a reduced wage so that the club - on the verge of folding up - could continue in business. The paybill had been cut by almost half. The ‘Swindon Advertiser’ set up a subscription list with all donations going to make up the shortfall in the players’ wage packets. Names and amounts totalling £33 14s 6d (£33.72p) were eventually appended to that list !

But, a few weeks earlier, on December 28 1900, Bob Menham made a name for himself for all the wrong reasons. Possibly as a result of too much Xmas cheer, he contrived to miss the train taking his colleagues to Swindon’s away Southern League game at Kettering !  Consequently, one of the full-backs, ‘PADDY’ FAGAN, took up the keeper’s duties and had to retrieve the ball from the back of the net on no less than ten occasions. This indiscretion cost big Bob a one-match suspension, when an 18 year old Irishman from Kildare, PAT KEOGH stepped in. Although TOM BOULTON made a handful of appearances at this time, no serious challengers to Bob’s position came along until late in 1902, when Swindon were drawn away to Chippenham Town in the F.A.Cup.

http://www.swindon-town-fc.co.uk/footprint/TownThroughTime.asp
« Last Edit: Thursday, July 21, 2011, 13:49:21 by @MacPhlea » Logged
blah blah

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: Thursday, July 21, 2011, 13:47:32 »

I'm pleased, but I guess a little surprised that Bodin is now held in such high esteem. My memory of when he actually played here was that the majority of the crowd hated him. Maybe his list of esteemed successors in the left back shirt (Drysdale, Elkins, Heiselberg, Rose etc) has tinted those glasses a tad on the rosier side

And surely David Moss deserves to be stripped of a star or two for his connections to our freinds down the road ?

Brian Williams (Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaanimal) deserves a couple though
donkey
Cheers!

He headed a football.

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: Thursday, July 21, 2011, 13:52:19 »

I'll try to amend based on what we have so far...but I need some other views on Dave Bamber, as I have him as a 2, but he's been suggested as high as 5.

Bob Menham is in!

donkey tells the truth

I headed the ball.

eeeeeeeeeeeeeee-aaaaaaaawwwwwww
Bewster

We fucking love you Gumbo!

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: Thursday, July 21, 2011, 14:42:07 »

Shearer 4, Digby 5, Calderwood 5, Moncur 4, - thats my view. I think you have to look at length of service as well as impact and ability
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Thursday, July 21, 2011, 14:48:33 »

I'll try to amend based on what we have so far...but I need some other views on Dave Bamber, as I have him as a 2, but he's been suggested as high as 5.

Bob Menham is in!
First game for us he was 'tripped' in the penalty area. Penalty was given and he got up and winked at the crowd! - Legend! When we went from shite to being good good in the 4th and 3rd Division he was immense for us. He just had that little bit of quality. Started to fade or rather others came along like Shearer who we relied upon more as we got to the 2nd Div.

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
alanmayes

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: Thursday, July 21, 2011, 14:49:42 »

Peter Noble  4 Star

Peter Eastoe  3 Star

Ray McHale  2 Star
« Last Edit: Thursday, July 21, 2011, 14:57:45 by alanmayes » Logged

"It's not delusions of grandeur sir,it's intolerance of mediocrity and minimal performances."
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: Thursday, July 21, 2011, 15:14:23 »

TEF Legends  Hmmm

Mex...fB.....PaulD....SY......BR.....JJ......oh
donkey
Cheers!

He headed a football.

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: Thursday, July 21, 2011, 15:26:29 »

TEF Legends  Hmmm

Mex...fB.....PaulD....SY......BR.....JJ......oh

Thanks Reg!

donkey tells the truth

I headed the ball.

Doore

« Reply #24 on: Thursday, July 21, 2011, 18:23:01 »

For me Hoddle is 4 star.  I'd also give a star to Danny Invincibile for that goal alone.
Doore

« Reply #25 on: Thursday, July 21, 2011, 18:27:55 »

Oh - and only one star for Hazard is borderline criminal. 3 at least.

I disagree with DMR - this seems like an excellent way to spend an evening over a few beers.  We don't all want to get shit faced, shag 25 fit birds, get blood all over our faces cos they was on their period, get on the beers again, and fuck the 25 birds mums up the shitter while their daughters were passed on on our mates knob - or whatever the hell it is he does with his Saturday nights.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: Thursday, July 21, 2011, 18:39:21 »

I'd also give a star to Danny Invincibile for that goal alone.

And Steve Robinson for much the same.
donkey
Cheers!

He headed a football.

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: Thursday, July 21, 2011, 18:40:36 »

And Steve Robinson for much the same.

Bring your arguements to Leeds...

donkey tells the truth

I headed the ball.

SuggWillSugg MBE

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: Thursday, July 21, 2011, 19:29:58 »

I'd also give a star to Danny Invincibile for that goal alone.

I'd give Fallon a star then..

Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: Thursday, July 21, 2011, 19:50:19 »

We're going away from legend and heading towards cult hero now. Surely Robinson, Fallon and Invincibile are cults.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
Print
Jump to: