Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Help!!!!!!!!!  (Read 4729 times)
otanswell

Fuck em all...

Ignore
« on: Saturday, July 16, 2011, 15:05:48 »

I had an issue with itunes syncing to my iphone, upon further investigation it was suggested i update my bios as its quite an old motherboard. so i did this from the manufacturers website and now the computer will not boot, it doesnt even beep any more when you turn it on.

is there any way to reverse this or is the computer now fucked?Huh?

motherboard is a MSI P4M900M

« Reply #1 on: Saturday, July 16, 2011, 15:18:54 »

Try taking out the CMOS battery for 10 mins.
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #2 on: Saturday, July 16, 2011, 15:23:32 »

If it doesn't beep then it means the BIOS is not posting i.e. not even loading the BIOS before it even gets to windows. Obviously a botched BIOS flash.

Looks like there is a way to recover it but you need to know the version number i.e. are there any letters or numbers after MSI P4M900M which indicate version number?
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #3 on: Saturday, July 16, 2011, 15:30:01 »

http://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=119375.0

Look for the bit where it says "when it all goes wrong". I think you have the award BIOS.
otanswell

Fuck em all...

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Saturday, July 16, 2011, 15:32:34 »

what does that look like?

@SI Pie, ive checked and there doesnt appear to be any version numbers Sad

Fuck em all...

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Saturday, July 16, 2011, 15:35:42 »

http://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=119375.0

Look for the bit where it says "when it all goes wrong". I think you have the award BIOS.

it says you need a floppy disk drive? my computer wasnt built in 1980 soapy tit wank
im going to try the usb stick method but i think if the bios isnt working it wont boot from the usb stick

« Reply #6 on: Saturday, July 16, 2011, 15:36:09 »

It looks like a watch battery.

There is a model of that motherboard with no additional 'version' but just making sure. Have you got access to another computer?
otanswell

Fuck em all...

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Saturday, July 16, 2011, 15:38:27 »

yeah im using the wifes laptop now
the bios is an ami bios apparently

« Reply #8 on: Saturday, July 16, 2011, 15:41:33 »

yeah im using the wifes laptop now
the bios is an ami bios apparently

Yep just checked you're right.

For AMI BIOS

Rename the desired AMI BIOS file to AMIBOOT.ROM and save it on a floppy disk. e.g. Rename A569MS23.ROM to AMIBOOT.ROM

Insert this floppy disk in the floppy drive. Turn On the system and press and hold Ctrl-Home to force update. It will read the AMIBOOT.ROM file and recover the BIOS from the A drive.

When 4 beeps are heard you may remove the floppy disk and restart the computer.

Do you have a floppy drive? If not may be worth formatting a USB flash drive to FAT and doing the same and see what happens.
« Last Edit: Saturday, July 16, 2011, 15:44:33 by Si Pie » Logged
stfcinbmth

« Reply #9 on: Saturday, July 16, 2011, 16:15:32 »

I have a usb floppy if you need one, tho chances are if it won't see a stick it won't see that either
otanswell

Fuck em all...

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Saturday, July 16, 2011, 17:48:56 »

Fucks sake

Tried it with a usb stick and borrowed a floppy drive and put it in and that didnt work either.
So im guessing I have a rather large doorstop now.

Phoned the manufacturer in taiwan and got through to some dog muncher who says

"harrow sir, your motherboard is out of warranty sir, we no fix sir" to which i argued with him saying it was his fucking company whos software indicated it needed updating.

Pissed off to the max does not explain how i feel now.

« Reply #11 on: Saturday, July 16, 2011, 17:56:33 »

This is why you shouldn't flash the BIOS through windows.

Try clearing the CMOS by removing the battery for 10 mins and moving the jumper (per the manual). Then after moving the jumper and battery back try re-flashing.

matt_jada

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Saturday, July 16, 2011, 18:16:16 »

Cant you just do a system restore, turn your computer on and press [F8] to display the Windows Advanced Options menu. Now, select the safe mode item from the menu and press [Enter]

click the Startbutton, access the All Programs | Accessories | System Tools menu, and selectSystem Restore - use the wizard to restore to an earlier date.

If your computer wont load atall try using Last Known Good Configuration:

turn computer on and press [F8] to display the Windows Advanced Options menu. Select the Last Known Good Configuration item from the menu and press [Enter].

A weird solution could be is that If you are using a usb mouse or keyboard this could be the problem try P/S2 mouse and keyboard.

Or another possibility is to make sure you unplug the power cord 1st, then remove the battery for a few seconds. Replace the battery, plug in the power, bootup and

immediately enter the BIOS. Change the date/time settings, then load the BIOS defaults. Save the settings & reboot. Enter the BIOS a 2nd time and manually configure the

CPU & RAM settings, save your settings and reboot.

If you dont know bout Ram settings check: http://www.overclock.net/faqs/26706-info-ram-timings-dummies.html

stfcinbmth

« Reply #13 on: Saturday, July 16, 2011, 18:21:26 »

I don't have a very good feeling about this
woolster

« Reply #14 on: Saturday, July 16, 2011, 18:27:45 »

Cant you just do a system restore, turn your computer on and press [F8] to display the Windows Advanced Options menu. Now, select the safe mode item from the menu and press [Enter]

click the Startbutton, access the All Programs | Accessories | System Tools menu, and selectSystem Restore - use the wizard to restore to an earlier date.

If your computer wont load atall try using Last Known Good Configuration:

turn computer on and press [F8] to display the Windows Advanced Options menu. Select the Last Known Good Configuration item from the menu and press [Enter]
 Huh? Head Hurts.

A weird solution could be is that If you are using a usb mouse or keyboard this could be the problem try P/S2 mouse and keyboard.

Or another possibility is to make sure you unplug the power cord 1st, then remove the battery for a few seconds. Replace the battery, plug in the power, bootup and

immediately enter the BIOS. Change the date/time settings, then load the BIOS defaults. Save the settings & reboot. Enter the BIOS a 2nd time and manually configure the

CPU & RAM settings, save your settings and reboot.

If you dont know bout Ram settings check: http://www.overclock.net/faqs/26706-info-ram-timings-dummies.html

Huh?
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to: