Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 ... 23   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Adam Birchall  (Read 45030 times)
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: Sunday, July 10, 2011, 10:20:44 »

Gotta say... DEAD CHUFFED. Sounds like his attitude is A1 and having been in the FL before and dropped out he'll have a positive chip on his shoulder too ala Charlie. Hopefully it's welcome to the CG, Adam. Best of luck wee man.

So much for Wimbledon's assertions that PDC wouldn't be able to find his way around the lower leagues.

Without wishing to dampen your enthusiasm, it should be noted that Birchall has been on the STFC radar for a while. He first came to attention in 08....coming off the bench and scoring  an equaliser for Barnet in the Cup. This was the ill fated 0 pen shoot out.

Also attracting attention was Joe Devera.   Birchall, was subsequently invited for trial, but not considered quite good enough, hence the drop to non league.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: Sunday, July 10, 2011, 10:40:36 »

Reg, if you read his interviews from last season, he admits that after not making the grade at Arsenal he lost interest in playing, got a bit billy big shoes and thought it would just happen for him. He went away and waited tables part time and coached youngsters before getting back into the game with Dover and hasn't looked back.  Seems to me that he is just the sort of player who could now rise back up the leagues if he's realised he needs to put the work in to get the rewards from playing.  His recent stint also seems to have made a little more grounded around why he is playing the game.

Gillingham have the disadvantage of Hendon being assistant manager, and he released Birchall from Barnet.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: Sunday, July 10, 2011, 10:59:03 »

Reg, if you read his interviews from last season, he admits that after not making the grade at Arsenal he lost interest in playing, got a bit billy big shoes and thought it would just happen for him. He went away and waited tables part time and coached youngsters before getting back into the game with Dover and hasn't looked back.  Seems to me that he is just the sort of player who could now rise back up the leagues if he's realised he needs to put the work in to get the rewards from playing.  His recent stint also seems to have made a little more grounded around why he is playing the game.

Gillingham have the disadvantage of Hendon being assistant manager, and he released Birchall from Barnet.

I've no problem with signing players who are looking to improve, rather than too many who are on the way down.
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: Sunday, July 10, 2011, 11:03:42 »

I may be missing something, but the only stories I can find connecting Birchall with Gillingham are from Friday (ie before Dover accepted our bid) where Scally, the Gillingham Chairman, offered £15,000...in installments.  All sounds like a bit of a wind up/piss take...and Dover gave it very short shrift.

If this is the bid being discussed, I think we can discount it.  Or is there now speculation that Gillingham have upped their offer?
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: Sunday, July 10, 2011, 11:05:10 »

I've no problem with signing players who are looking to improve, rather than too many who are on the way down.

I think this lad is worth a punt, Reg.  Not all players' careers have a neat up/down trajectory.
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: Sunday, July 10, 2011, 11:05:23 »

In recent years (decade or so) Non-League players have struggled after joining Swindon (Martin, Opara, Dykes, Mohamed) and I think that's down to lack of games played.

We threw Austin in and he thrived... To talk about a players attitude from a few years ago can often be irrelevant, especially when they've done well since.

I firmly believe that Non-Leaguers can replicate form in the Football League if they are given adequate minutes on the pitch.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: Sunday, July 10, 2011, 11:12:34 »

In recent years (decade or so) Non-League players have struggled after joining Swindon (Martin, Opara, Dykes, Mohamed) and I think that's down to lack of games played.

We threw Austin in and he thrived... To talk about a players attitude from a few years ago can often be irrelevant, especially when they've done well since.

I firmly believe that Non-Leaguers can replicate form in the Football League if they are given adequate minutes on the pitch.

Darren Ferguson makes a good point here.
Barry Scott

« Reply #52 on: Sunday, July 10, 2011, 11:17:13 »

Indeed. Mackail-Smith's first season was not great by all accounts, but all their (known to us) non-leaguers, were brilliant.
Only Me

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: Sunday, July 10, 2011, 11:36:17 »

Don't believe it until he's signed on the dotted line. Huddersfield might gazump us !!

Ha ha
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: Sunday, July 10, 2011, 13:10:44 »

It's true though and it did my boys at Peterborough nay harm.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: Sunday, July 10, 2011, 13:18:35 »

I wouldnt have called it a good point if it wasnt true Smiley
Ralphy

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: Sunday, July 10, 2011, 13:26:19 »

Really can't see the Pikeys getting him.

PDC will attract him too.
Ginginho

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: Sunday, July 10, 2011, 14:28:38 »

AFC Wimbledon have also had a bid accepted for Birchall.
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: Sunday, July 10, 2011, 14:34:29 »

AFC Wimbledon have also had a bid accepted for Birchall.

Interesting twist. Hopefully we can 'out wage' them?
Panda Paws

« Reply #59 on: Sunday, July 10, 2011, 14:35:50 »

Interesting twist. Hopefully we can 'out wage' them?

You'd hope so, but at the same time, we don't want to pay over the odds.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 ... 23   Go Up
Print
Jump to: