Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: PC Tablets  (Read 2632 times)
cired45

Ignore
« on: Monday, July 4, 2011, 21:01:53 »

i`m thinking of getting one for the wife, she`s got MS and finds the laptop is getting too heavy for her.  I`m looking at a mid range as i cant afford an i-pad and have seen an advent vega.  Anyone know anything about them or can anyone recommend anything better.  She only wants it for facebook, skype, and a bit of surfing.
Dazzza

« Reply #1 on: Monday, July 4, 2011, 22:19:39 »

Have you tried the Apple refurb store?

http://store.apple.com/uk/browse/home/specialdeals/ipad?mco=MTkyNTgxNTY

I must admit I have only used an iPad but it is fantastic and incredibly user friendly. 

betty_swollox

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, July 5, 2011, 02:39:59 »

Got the Asus transformer for my lady a few weeks ago, which cost us £430 with a handy keyboard and USB attachment.
IPads are good but we needed Adobe Flash and PDF and you can't get them on the IPad.
The Asus runs on Android system so it's more of an open market than Apple. I'd highly recommend the Asus and even if you search the reviews on the web for it they generally say it's the best value tablet curently on the market.
The only down side is wife will be using it a lot on the train and you can't put a sim card in it to run the 3G for the internet connection. However depending on your phone you can connect the Asus to that and use your phones 3G. We just ended up getting a small 3G box that you can connect up to 5 items to, which cost us £49 plus £5 a month for 500GB.

Saying that if she only wants it for Facebook, Skype and surfacing I'd just get her a cheap laptop rather than paying out for a tablet.
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, July 5, 2011, 09:05:46 »

IPads are good but we needed Adobe Flash and PDF and you can't get them on the IPad.

PDF support is built in. It's just Flash you don't get.
Jimmy Glass is an Alien

« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, July 5, 2011, 11:16:48 »

PDF support is built in. It's just Flash you don't get.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think there is an app that has a work around for flash. Its called Skyfire I think.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday, July 5, 2011, 11:22:42 »

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think there is an app that has a work around for flash. Its called Skyfire I think.

Interesting, looking at this review it states:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2374673,00.asp

While Flash videos are supported, Flash games and apps are not.

So it seems to be a partial Flash interpreter, which is better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick. Unless they improved it somehow.
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Sunday, July 10, 2011, 19:31:31 »

Think that Skyfire app runs by pushing everything through their servers and converting it on the fly, or something like that.

The lack of Flash never causes me any problems, though I'm sure it does for some people.

Would be interested to hear what people think of other tablets they've bought.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Sunday, July 10, 2011, 20:06:56 »

My thoughts on other tablets are they are just as overpriced as an iPad Smiley
singingiiiffy

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Sunday, July 10, 2011, 22:50:04 »

i have a dell streak and also recently got a blackberry playbook which i think is awesome! got the playbook free with a curve on play monthly contract, both sync up together. handy bit of kit with flash and also microsoft office (word, excel, powerpoint etc). not sure how they are to buy individually but im guessing cheaper than an ipad and imo better. if u have a phone contract soon to expire then ideal!
sheepshagger
Suburban Capitalist........

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Monday, July 11, 2011, 08:46:21 »

I bought an ASUS Tramsformer and love it - the Android engine is superb and the apps are much better value !!

If you can wait 2-3 months and 3G connection is important away from the house, ASUS and others will be bringing out 3G versions.

The 3G chip that goes on the board is around $60 (cost) so expect a £50 or so premium for this model.

Wise men say........
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: