Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Football Streaming coming to an end?  (Read 4343 times)
stfcinbmth

« on: Friday, June 24, 2011, 11:06:34 »

Good to know that the Government are looking after us

http://www.afterdawn.com/news/article.cfm/2011/06/24/uk_plan_to_block_streaming_websites_criticized
Barry Scott

« Reply #1 on: Friday, June 24, 2011, 11:18:34 »

As always. The cunty cunts only ever have our best interests at heart. Good bye freedom, hello China.
BANGKOK RED

« Reply #2 on: Friday, June 24, 2011, 11:22:31 »

And there was me thinking monopolies were not allowed.
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Friday, June 24, 2011, 11:48:35 »

Not going to happen. Even if they try it will fail.

China can do it as they control everything, not a chance within the UK or EU.
stfcinbmth

« Reply #4 on: Friday, June 24, 2011, 12:20:27 »

Not going to happen. Even if they try it will fail.

China can do it as they control everything, not a chance within the UK or EU.

You can imagine them thinking about it though jonny, even to the extent of us minions only being allowed to access Government approved websites. Great to see the FA and Premier League snivelling because they're not getting a cut of the pie. Money, money, money grabbing twats
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Friday, June 24, 2011, 12:23:41 »

Don't panic people. If the government try to implement it, it will go over budget, take ages to do, and not work. Then the next Government will scrap it.

The Government. F***ing up IT projects since 1970.

Unfortunately they will try and push it on the ISPs.
Barry Scott

« Reply #6 on: Friday, June 24, 2011, 12:47:11 »

Don't panic people. If the government try to implement it, it will go over budget, take ages to do, and not work. Then the next Government will scrap it.

That was my thought. Simply make it law that ISPs have to block domains and IP blocks at the whim of the government. There's no additional tech needed then. Well, unless they can find a way of implementing some stupid tech at the cost of £100m or so a year, after being awarded to a firm that someone in government knew.
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Friday, June 24, 2011, 12:55:54 »

You can imagine them thinking about it though jonny, even to the extent of us minions only being allowed to access Government approved websites. Great to see the FA and Premier League snivelling because they're not getting a cut of the pie. Money, money, money grabbing twats

Sure they'll think about it and the content rights owners will keep pushing for it but nothing will happen in the end.

They could try to get ISP's to block certain domains and IP addresses, but it's a moving target which they won't be able to keep up with. Even then there are ways to get round those blocks so they will never shut them all down.

Even with legislation I'm not sure what they're suggesting will be compliant with EU law though the bigger issue is the law of the internet - government involvement in blocking websites is a dangerous path and there will be uproar worldwide.
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Friday, June 24, 2011, 15:14:24 »

Well, unless they can find a way of implementing some stupid tech at the cost of £100m or so a year, after being awarded to a firm that someone in government knew.

Capita, no doubt.
oxford_fan

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Friday, June 24, 2011, 15:51:04 »

My mate works for Ofcom and that's what he said will happen; government will transfer the responsibility to ISP's, who'll avoid the big fines by fining or booting people off their networks who file share or stream tv. He's downloading gb's of music by the day to make sure he's got a good stock before they cut off the supply.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Friday, June 24, 2011, 16:08:34 »

That was my thought. Simply make it law that ISPs have to block domains and IP blocks at the whim of the government. There's no additional tech needed then. Well, unless they can find a way of implementing some stupid tech at the cost of £100m or so a year, after being awarded to a firm that someone in government knew.

I'd better work on buttering up people in Government, this sounds like a splendid idea.
Barry Scott

« Reply #11 on: Friday, June 24, 2011, 17:22:00 »

I'd better work on buttering up people in Government, this sounds like a splendid idea.

[barely relevant pointlessness]
Some government body in the US needed a Facebook profile builder, so they can monitor US citizens on Facebook.

They contracted the building of said application to a company at a cost of $2.7m I believe it was. Bearing in mind there's software you can buy that does more than their Facebook program and at a cost of about $50, I think it's fair to say knowing someone in Government, be it US, or UK one suspects, could be slightly lucrative.
[/barely relevant pointlessness]
Spencer_White

« Reply #12 on: Friday, June 24, 2011, 17:41:52 »

They can fight it. But people power will bring them down in the end.

The fans dont need football to be a billion pound industry.
BANGKOK RED

« Reply #13 on: Friday, June 24, 2011, 17:48:50 »

Doesn't matter what blocks they put in place. Some smart sod will think of a way to get around it.
pumbaa
Ha, no cunt in my title anymore. Oh.....

Fartmeister

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Friday, July 1, 2011, 08:19:40 »

You've neglected the fact that it was also take them 3 years to determine what their requirements are, and then continue to change them constantly...*

* A well known fact that 'requirements creep' is a significant contributor to government project 'failures'
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: