Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: 2nd hand mac laptops?  (Read 9402 times)
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: Friday, June 17, 2011, 15:29:05 »

How long ago was that? Virtualisation is a lot better now, I've found Fusion a lot better than Parallels as well. Though I'm somewhat biased against Parallels due to the piece of shit they refer to as Plesk for Windows. Plus we are heavy users of VMware ESXi at work which we seldom have any problems with.

You need plenty of ram as well, 4Gb isn't enough to run side by side but 8Gb does the trick (even more would be better).

stfcinbmth

« Reply #16 on: Friday, June 17, 2011, 17:36:43 »

I can't just take it out of the box and let it loose on the world without installing something else to protect it. With a mac, I can...

Just in case

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-mac-shield
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: Friday, June 17, 2011, 17:44:24 »

Mac's are alright if you've got the money, but you can get similar spec'd Windows laptops for >£500 less.
Barry Scott

« Reply #18 on: Friday, June 17, 2011, 17:51:18 »

How long ago was that? Virtualisation is a lot better now, I've found Fusion a lot better than Parallels as well. Though I'm somewhat biased against Parallels due to the piece of shit they refer to as Plesk for Windows. Plus we are heavy users of VMware ESXi at work which we seldom have any problems with.

You need plenty of ram as well, 4Gb isn't enough to run side by side but 8Gb does the trick (even more would be better).

I do only have 4GB of Ram, but it wasn't the speed or stability that I found a pain in the arse, it was the whole pointlessness of loading a virtual machine within a machine. I eventually found, or at least learned, I had no use for it, as I slowly found a means of achieving the same results while remaining within OSX.

For a while I did still, on occasion, use Notepad++, but I refused to use Fusion just for that and found CrossOver. CrossOver is like a Windows Emulator and requires no Windows OS, it sort of converts an exe to an app and works in much the same way (albeit taking longer to load). To be honest, I don't use that anymore either.

And for any Mac users who don't own LaunchBar yet, buy it. (It's like QuickSilver only better. Everyone should own it!)

http://www.obdev.at/products/launchbar/index.html
« Last Edit: Friday, June 17, 2011, 17:53:01 by Barry Scott » Logged
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: Friday, June 17, 2011, 18:07:43 »

I had Crossover on my old Mac but didn't use it much. It works by replicating the Windows API so can run most things (even stuff like Office) though I'm pretty certain it does actually fire up a Windows OS of sorts (and definitely a file system).

Depends what you need though, for an app or two then Crossover is fine. For more than that you need full blown Windows and seeing as my job is supporting Windows desktops and servers I don't really have a choice. I use virtual machines a lot anyway for testing and training, I even have machines running within ESXi within Fusion (which works surprisingly well).

Mac's are alright if you've got the money, but you can get similar spec'd Windows laptops for >£500 less.

Not quite that straight forward. Resell values for Mac's are a lot higher. Main thing for me though is I can work a lot quicker and more efficiently with a Mac, so the extra cost is more than offset. Plus it all hooks up with my other Apple gear seamlessly.
« Last Edit: Friday, June 17, 2011, 18:09:22 by jonny72 » Logged
stfcinbmth

« Reply #20 on: Friday, June 17, 2011, 18:18:48 »

I did have a Mac G4 for a while, stuck a pci graphics card, 1gb ram and an extra HDD in it=flying machine. Just think it's a design thing, they look nice. Wouldn't mind a play with a G5 next
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: Friday, June 17, 2011, 21:01:52 »

Anyone know of any websites where I can buy a 2nd hand mac laptop relatively cheap.trying to avoid ebay as don't fancy being taken for a ride by some bait nigerian

Getting back on subject....how much were you looking to spend?
magicroundabout
Fanta Pants

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: Saturday, June 18, 2011, 09:00:14 »

this site any good to you

http://www.used-macbook.co.uk/

edit: how shits that. the adverts just link you to ebay. scrap that then
« Last Edit: Saturday, June 18, 2011, 09:02:15 by magicroundabout » Logged

tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: Saturday, June 18, 2011, 09:09:21 »

Haha martin you twat

Thought you wouldve checked the link beforehand...
otanswell

Fuck em all...

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: Friday, June 24, 2011, 18:22:23 »

Getting back on subject....how much were you looking to spend?

300notes or so

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: Friday, June 24, 2011, 19:26:13 »

You will be able to get one of the original Intel White Macbook's for that but it won't be up to much - they're 4 or 5 years old now. Watch out for the plastic case cracking around the edges as it was a common fault. Look out for one with 2Gb of ram and an upgraded hard drive. I'd keep to eBay, just be careful who you buy it from and make sure you get buyer protection.
otanswell

Fuck em all...

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: Friday, June 24, 2011, 20:36:08 »

Cheers mate, will have a look

Jump to: