Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: 2nd hand mac laptops?  (Read 9415 times)
otanswell

Fuck em all...

Ignore
« on: Thursday, June 16, 2011, 16:52:42 »

Anyone know of any websites where I can buy a 2nd hand mac laptop relatively cheap.trying to avoid ebay as don't fancy being taken for a ride by some bait nigerian

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Thursday, June 16, 2011, 17:13:12 »

Second hand Mac and cheap don't normally go together. Depends on how old and how much you want to spend.

For recent models (last year or two) I'd always go for the Apple Refurb store, but you need to be careful that you don't end up paying over the odds for something old. You can get a bargain there if you do your research first.
Barry Scott

« Reply #2 on: Thursday, June 16, 2011, 17:29:37 »

Just buy new and sell after a year or so and repeat each year. Macs hold their price really well. (Especially if you upgrade them yourself after purchase - costs less and pushes the price right up.)
@MacPhlea

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Friday, June 17, 2011, 06:09:47 »

Second hand Mac and cheap don't normally go together. Depends on how old and how much you want to spend.

For recent models (last year or two) I'd always go for the Apple Refurb store, but you need to be careful that you don't end up paying over the odds for something old. You can get a bargain there if you do your research first.

This

Just buy new and sell after a year or so and repeat each year. Macs hold their price really well. (Especially if you upgrade them yourself after purchase - costs less and pushes the price right up.)

And this

I confess to being a bit of a mac freak and it's the fact that after 4 years my iMac still runs perfectly and holds 60% of it's value whereas the equivalent PC would have been, in likelihood, fucked over by virus's, worth about 50 squid or, at worst, binned through being just frustratingly slow
axs
naaarrrrrppppp

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Friday, June 17, 2011, 06:16:09 »

Does anyone even get viruses anymore? Haven't had one in years now.
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Friday, June 17, 2011, 06:39:29 »

Does anyone even get viruses anymore? Haven't had one in years now.
Would you like me to send you one? XP Home Secuirty 2011 was a bit of a bugger.

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
axs
naaarrrrrppppp

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Friday, June 17, 2011, 06:51:08 »

I'm good thanks.
cavpete

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Friday, June 17, 2011, 07:10:29 »

Would you like me to send you one? XP Home Secuirty 2011 was a bit of a bugger.

how did you manage to get rid of it in the end nmh

Barry Scott

« Reply #8 on: Friday, June 17, 2011, 07:15:15 »

how did you manage to get rid of it in the end nmh

I removed this fucker a while back. I think I did it by booting in safe mode, then going into MSConfig and removing the start up item and looking for the path. I found it was located in some temp directory within Docs and settings, then removed it from there using a shredder. It was then seemingly sorted. (I think.)
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #9 on: Friday, June 17, 2011, 08:16:49 »

Yeah the security virus is not a difficult one to remove at all, I have done about 30 of them this year already, as virusses and trojans go its one of the easier ones, another nasty one is the one that puts everything into hidden and changes the attributes of all files, it is just a bloody annoying one, but again easy to remove.

I have never got a virus in 20 years of surfing the net by not going to dodgy web sites or not downloading shit and not cluckin on links in emails easy peasy.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
@MacPhlea

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Friday, June 17, 2011, 09:58:50 »

Yeah the security virus is not a difficult one to remove at all, I have done about 30 of them this year already, as virusses and trojans go its one of the easier ones, another nasty one is the one that puts everything into hidden and changes the attributes of all files, it is just a bloody annoying one, but again easy to remove.

I have never got a virus in 20 years of surfing the net by not going to dodgy web sites or not downloading shit and not cluckin on links in emails easy peasy.

Yes but you and I are geeks but most of us have at least one member of the family who has absolutely no idea what they are doing on a computer or what threats lie in wait - that's the problem I have with PC's - I can't just take it out of the box and let it loose on the world without installing something else to protect it. With a mac, I can...
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #11 on: Friday, June 17, 2011, 10:08:34 »

Yes but you and I are geeks but most of us have at least one member of the family who has absolutely no idea what they are doing on a computer or what threats lie in wait - that's the problem I have with PC's - I can't just take it out of the box and let it loose on the world without installing something else to protect it. With a mac, I can...

This is very true, the only thing with Macs is that I hate apple and all of my software is windows based so I cannot afford to change systems now, otherwise yes I agree, but I have heard that virusses are being written that will soon start to affect macs also but yes virusses are much less prevalent on macs so for the less computer literate then a mac could well be more viable virus wise.

And yes we do all have friends and family that will click on any link no mater what, just because they can!

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Friday, June 17, 2011, 10:39:17 »

This is very true, the only thing with Macs is that I hate apple and all of my software is windows based.

I use my Mac at work which is all Windows - I run Windows 7 under VMware Fusion, Mac on one screen and Windows on the other. Performance is great and better than most people's native Windows 7 laptops, though I admittedly I've got the latest MacBook Pro with 8Gb of ram which helps.
@MacPhlea

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Friday, June 17, 2011, 10:54:37 »

I use my Mac at work which is all Windows - I run Windows 7 under VMware Fusion, Mac on one screen and Windows on the other. Performance is great and better than most people's native Windows 7 laptops, though I admittedly I've got the latest MacBook Pro with 8Gb of ram which helps.

Snap...
Barry Scott

« Reply #14 on: Friday, June 17, 2011, 11:10:32 »

When I first moved to a Mac I did wonder whether I could find all the software I was familiar with so I ran XP in VMware. After a while though I found VMware a pain in the arse and had actually found programs for OSX that were better than I was familiar with on Windows.

I haven't actively used Windows, personally, for well over a year now. I do have it on another machine, but it rarely gets turned on and even then it's only for FM - which I could run on the Mac if I could be arsed.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to: