Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Dead Laptop  (Read 4689 times)
Fred Elliot
I REST MY FUCKING CASE

Ignore
« on: Tuesday, June 14, 2011, 15:40:47 »

Dear Techies

Having a fucking issue with my laptop.

The fucker wont even boot up or get to the boot up screen, the lights come on and the fan runs for a split second then everything dies

My usual reaction would be to bin the fucking piece of shite but it is only 14 months old, so that is a no-no.

Any ideas oh righteous ones ?
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, June 14, 2011, 16:04:08 »

take the battery out and hold down the power button for about 30 seconds, then try again.
Fred Elliot
I REST MY FUCKING CASE

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, June 14, 2011, 16:13:40 »

take the battery out and hold down the power button for about 30 seconds, then try again.

ermmmmmmmmmm

Nope  Sad
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, June 14, 2011, 16:19:21 »

When you say won't get to boot screen, do you get to see anything at all on the screen? Or does it stay blank?

Does it beep in any way whatsoever?

As JJ's suggestion didn't work, if BIOS isn't even showing all I can suggest is to re-seat the RAM modules assuming they are easy to get to.
Fred Elliot
I REST MY FUCKING CASE

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, June 14, 2011, 16:28:27 »

Nothing on the screen what so ever. LED's light up, fan kicks in for a split second then it all dies.

As JJ's suggestion didn't work, if BIOS isn't even showing all I can suggest is to re-seat the RAM modules assuming they are easy to get to.

WTF you talking bout Willis ?
axs
naaarrrrrppppp

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday, June 14, 2011, 16:29:58 »

Screw flap on the back with one or two sticks of memory in, push 'em in harder.
Fred Elliot
I REST MY FUCKING CASE

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday, June 14, 2011, 16:37:17 »

Screw flap on the back with one or two sticks of memory in, push 'em in harder.

Oh ok

Crash
BANGKOK RED

« Reply #7 on: Tuesday, June 14, 2011, 16:42:41 »

Have you tried swearing at it?
Don Rogers Shop

« Reply #8 on: Tuesday, June 14, 2011, 16:44:18 »

Nothing on the screen what so ever. LED's light up, fan kicks in for a split second then it all dies.

WTF you talking bout Willis ?
This is brilliant. My exact thoughts when i read it.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #9 on: Tuesday, June 14, 2011, 16:48:53 »

Undo all the covers and unscrew and take out the hard drive and memory and push them in firmly, it sounds like something could have become unseated, this is a very simple fix and wont take more than 2 mins.

The other thing is that the chip has hugely overheated with a large amount of dust and is failing straight away due to heat build up or the heat build up has fucked the chip itself (fairly expensive).

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Fred Elliot
I REST MY FUCKING CASE

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday, June 14, 2011, 16:53:02 »

Undo all the covers and unscrew and take out the hard drive and memory and push them in firmly, it sounds like something could have become unseated, this is a very simple fix and wont take more than 2 mins.

The other thing is that the chip has hugely overheated with a large amount of dust and is failing straight away due to heat build up or the heat build up has fucked the chip itself (fairly expensive).

JJ

I have always tried to keep it dust free by blowing out the vents with a can of compressed air and I always sit it on a laptop cooler with one of those fan thingy's in it
Fred Elliot
I REST MY FUCKING CASE

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday, June 14, 2011, 17:05:33 »

Tried that

its fucking fucked the fucking fucker
Peter Venkman

« Reply #12 on: Tuesday, June 14, 2011, 17:31:34 »

Then it would appear that either the chip has gone or the motherboard, both of which are probably not worth the cost of repair, if you have tried the easy stuff then unfortunately it will need to be tested with replacement parts, not cheap at all.

A chip even 2nd hand could well be in excess of £80 plus fitting and a motherboard would be a 2nd hand part and could well cost £100 upwards plus the cost of fitting.

What is the model number and make?

Fred Elliot
I REST MY FUCKING CASE

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday, June 14, 2011, 17:45:52 »

Then it would appear that either the chip has gone or the motherboard, both of which are probably not worth the cost of repair, if you have tried the easy stuff then unfortunately it will need to be tested with replacement parts, not cheap at all.

A chip even 2nd hand could well be in excess of £80 plus fitting and a motherboard would be a 2nd hand part and could well cost £100 upwards plus the cost of fitting.

What is the model number and make?

Packard Bell Easynote LJ71
Peter Venkman

« Reply #14 on: Tuesday, June 14, 2011, 18:26:23 »

The Turion II 2.2ghz chip is only £35 for one of those but a motherboard is a bit more difficult to find brand new or even 2nd hand. 

It is more likely to be the motherboard than the chip IMO.

I will continue to look around to see if a different motherboard will fit instead of the original as a lot of manufacturers use a generic motherboard.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to: