Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Can't get my head around this..  (Read 6148 times)
Power to people

Ignore
« on: Sunday, June 5, 2011, 19:35:02 »

Rebuilt the computer but for some reason I cannot read anything from the second DVDR/W it has power and win xp see's it as E drive but if I put in any CD it does not recognise it before I rebuilt it was fine, I have even tried replacing it with no joy, it is recognised fine in device manager.....any ideas ?

HDD is SATA
Both DVDR/W are connected via IDE on the same cable, cable is labeled Drive 0 & Drive 1

XP is fully up to date with updates etc
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Sunday, June 5, 2011, 19:38:40 »

When you say rebuilt, you mean XP or hardware too?

Have you tries swapping CD drive positions on the cable. Or just running the failing CD drive without the IDE cable connected to the DVD drive.
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #2 on: Monday, June 6, 2011, 08:27:15 »

Loose connection or dodgy cable? I take it you remembered to set the slave and master jumpers on the drives?
magicroundabout
Fanta Pants

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Monday, June 6, 2011, 08:39:48 »

you've got the cable the right way around?

stfcinbmth

« Reply #4 on: Monday, June 6, 2011, 09:04:03 »

I take it you remembered to set the slave and master jumpers on the drives?

This
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Monday, June 6, 2011, 09:30:55 »

He said XP shows it as drive E.

Shirley XP wouldn't recognise it and assign a drive letter if the jumpers were incorrect?
slinky

i'm lovin' it

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Monday, June 6, 2011, 09:34:08 »

He said XP shows it as drive E.

Shirley XP wouldn't recognise it and assign a drive letter if the jumpers were incorrect?

Don't call him Shirley!
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #7 on: Monday, June 6, 2011, 09:41:15 »

Dump the IDE drives and buy a new sata DVD writer for £12.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Melksham Red

« Reply #8 on: Monday, June 6, 2011, 11:35:46 »

I think you might need to move a little plastic tag that's next to the ide connector. One drive should be marked primary and the other slave. Aside from that, fuck knows?

Edit: I see this has been posted, what a twat  Doh
« Last Edit: Monday, June 6, 2011, 11:38:04 by Melksham Red » Logged
Power to people

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Monday, June 6, 2011, 12:44:22 »

Could be cable I suppose...but then why would Windows see it

Not jumpers - windows see's the drive

It has to be something simple surely I'm missing...I'll take another look tonight

I've rebuilt this (software only) as I'm gonig to try and sell it - ebay I expect - as I've bought a laptop, so try and recoup some money,anything better than nothing - but until I sort this I can't sell it
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Monday, June 6, 2011, 13:14:55 »

So you only changed the software not hardware, and it was fine before then. Seems unlikely to be cable/jumper related, though I guess the drive could have died?

To be honest, other than a driver conflict then I'm not sure what else it could be.

You haven't changed/disabled anything in BIOS have you. I'd be surprised because Windows sees the device.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #11 on: Monday, June 6, 2011, 15:08:42 »

If Windows sees the drive and you cannot use it then there are only 2 options available......(if you havent gone into it and changed anything) one is the drive has expired, it can happen at any time at all, sometimes it is more likely to happen after a reinstall, no idea why but this has happened to me several times.

The other option is to go into control panel and uninstall the DVD driver then reboot the pc and let it pick up the driver again automatically.

Power to people

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday, June 7, 2011, 12:25:53 »

I think what I will try and do is to set both of these drives to master and put one one on each channel so one on the primary IDE & one on the secondary IDE assumnig that this will not clash with the SATA drive - failing that I'll bloody rebuild it again as this is just ridiculous and hopefully whatever is going on will cure it
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday, June 7, 2011, 14:30:32 »

Not jumpers - windows see's the drive

Not sure about that. Pretty certain Windows will see the drive to a degree but it will be unusable if they're set wrong.

I think, was a long time ago that I last had to fuck around with jumpers on a drive.

Get a Mac.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #14 on: Tuesday, June 7, 2011, 14:40:13 »

Not sure about that. Pretty certain Windows will see the drive to a degree but it will be unusable if they're set wrong.

I think, was a long time ago that I last had to fuck around with jumpers on a drive.

Get a Mac.

If the jumpers are set wrong then windows WILL NOT see the drive, the only 2 things that will stop a drive working that windows can see is the 2 items I posted above, either the drive has fucked or the driver for the drive has fucked and needs reinstalling, nothing else at all will stop the drive working, trust me I do know this for a fact.

If you reinstall windows it could fix the problem but a much easier remedy the problem is to uninstall the drive in control panel and then reinstall it after a reboot.

DO NOT GET A MAC.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to: