Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Whats wrong with this laptop?  (Read 8106 times)
Saxondale

Ignore
« on: Sunday, June 5, 2011, 17:50:34 »

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/laptops/703_7006_70006_xx_xx/xx-criteria.html

Come on computer people.  Im looking for a laptop to replace this fucked acer aspire.  This one seems to be strangely cheap with better spec.  Spec also seems to compare to some of the £450 - £500 laptops.  Am I missing something obvious?

HP G62-b30SA 15.6" Laptop - Red
Dual-core AMD Athlon™ II X2 P340 processor
Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Memory: 4GB
Hard drive: 500GB
with 1.3 mp webcam
Product description
The HP G62-b30SA laptop comes equipped with the dual-core AMD Athlon™ II X2 P340 Processor, and has the 64-bit Microsoft Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium operating system pre-installed. A 500GB hard drive provides ample storage space for a good-sized multimedia collection, whilst 4GB of RAM ensures a smooth performance for multitasking and demanding applications. Stylishly designed with a Velvet Red shell, the G62-b30SA is equipped with a 15.6" LCD screen with LED backlighting for energy-efficiency and instantaneous full brightness. An integrated DVD Rewriter provides a convenient hub for entertainment, as well as allowing you to backup data to blank discs. The integrated graphics in the G62-b30SA laptop are ideal for immersive everyday computing and light entertainment, and the impressive visual display is accompanied by great sound from Altec Lansing speakers. The HP G62-b30SA also offers a good level of connectivity, with built-in WiFi technology for wireless internet and network access, as well as a 5-in-1 media card reader, three USB 2.0 ports, an RJ-45 Ethernet port, plus HDMI and VGA outputs for hooking up to external displays. An integrated webcam and microphone make it easy to video chat with friends and family

Never knowingly overstated.
stfcinbmth

« Reply #1 on: Sunday, June 5, 2011, 17:55:25 »

If you want to take a chance that's up to you, it might be a tad out of date but look at it first

http://smidgenpc.com/2010/05/07/laptop-reliability-ratings-which-laptop-is-really-most-reliable/
Saxondale

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Sunday, June 5, 2011, 18:08:44 »

Thanks for that.  This HP is £300.  The acer I have now has a fucked screen for the second time in the 2 years and 3 months Ive had it.  Really not sure what to do.  At £300 its almost something I can justifiably use and expect to last 2 years most before upgrading. 

Spec looks decent enough though doesnt it?  Nothing obviously shit?

leefer

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Sunday, June 5, 2011, 18:19:15 »

Hi gk...looks fine to me though if you look at the normal price that was the highest it was for only two weeks in Feb.....a ploy used by supermarkets especially....wine being the obvious.

A six quid bottle of wine origanally,sold for a week at eight quid...........so when they put them on offer they say knocked down from eight quid................not the six it usually sells for.

That said if you are like me and use a lappy for the basics then buy the cheapest you can get.
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Sunday, June 5, 2011, 18:22:19 »

Am I missing something obvious?

Being unable to actually purchase it from them?

At least I can't.
Saxondale

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Sunday, June 5, 2011, 18:23:24 »

Thanks Lee.  I do use the laptop for work, but its web stuff, excel and office stuff.  Nowt complicated.

Saxondale

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Sunday, June 5, 2011, 18:24:11 »

Being unable to actually purchase it from them?

At least I can't.

Well I know its not available on the web.  Probably wont find it in the store either.  We'll see.

stfcinbmth

« Reply #7 on: Sunday, June 5, 2011, 18:26:12 »

Just one I've selected from PC World from the most reliable brand for 99 quid more and a better processor. Intel superior to AMD so probably no need to upgrade in two years time. Would prefer something with a separate graphics cards rather than onboard, but that's just a personal choice

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/asus-a52f-ex1240v-4gb-core-i3-laptop-red-09809628-pdt.html

Pretty sure though you will get more bang for your buck online from

http://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/

http://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/

Have a mooch around them
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Sunday, June 5, 2011, 18:28:04 »

Well I know its not available on the web.  Probably wont find it in the store either.  We'll see.

Looks like a price fuck up to me. They have the same model available in stock as a refurb for £400.
Saxondale

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Sunday, June 5, 2011, 18:35:25 »

Thanks all.  Ill let you know what I go with.  I seem to remember getting back from buying this lappy having asked the same sort of question on here and finding some of you warning me off of acer.  Your premonitions seem to have come true.

Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Sunday, June 5, 2011, 18:50:58 »

It's a .97 ending price. They are clearance items. As you said, finding one may prove tricky.
Power to people

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Sunday, June 5, 2011, 19:23:34 »

I actually have the HP G62 the Intel Core I3 one - good laptop had it for about a month and it is quick for most things, good it for a good price in PC World
Barry Scott

« Reply #12 on: Sunday, June 5, 2011, 19:40:03 »

I actually have the HP G62 the Intel Core I3 one - good laptop had it for about a month and it is quick for most things, good it for a good price in PC World

This is what I was going to post. My old dear needed a new one, so I found a refurb on Currys, which is an i3, 4GB, 500GB for £349, which to me seemed near unbeatable in price. (It now appears to be gone as they seem to have no G62s on the refurb part of their site - still worth a look though.)

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/refurbished-laptops/315_3227_30329_xx_xx/xx-criteria.html

I also saw some good deals on Amazon Warehouse Deals when I was looking (2 weeks ago).

This one doesn't seem bad.

Amazon Warehouse Deals

« Last Edit: Sunday, June 5, 2011, 19:42:22 by Barry Scott » Logged
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #13 on: Monday, June 6, 2011, 09:08:47 »

Go for an i3 or i5 processer.

The reason the first lappy is cheap mr GK is because it is a pretty redundant (i.e. crap) processor, no other reason really.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Saxondale

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Monday, June 6, 2011, 18:35:41 »

Thanks for that.  So whats the opinion on a Sony Vaio with an i5, 4gb and 500gb hard drive.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to: