Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: New phone  (Read 8167 times)
sonicyouth

Ignore
« on: Saturday, May 21, 2011, 17:29:30 »

My contract is very nearly up and I'm looking at new phones. I've decided to go with Orange as their coverage is better than O2 here - I currently have to go outside to use my phone at work whereas colleagues on Orange have full 3G in the office.

I'm torn between the HTC 7 Mozart and the iPhone 4. I'm currently using an iPhone 3G which has definitely seen better days. I am inclined to head towards the Windows 7 phone for integration purposes; I use 7 at home and work whereas I currently sync my iPhone with my MacBook which I use infrequently.

Has anyone used either phone? What do you like and dislike? Obviously for practical reasons, replacing the iPhone 3G with an iPhone 4 would mean that I keep all my data, settings and apps. What are the Windows 7 apps like?

I'm looking at £35 per month tariff, the HTC handset is free and the iPhone 4 will be £69.99.

Cheers!

stfcinbmth

« Reply #1 on: Saturday, May 21, 2011, 17:38:00 »

Personally, I wouldn't want to go for the 'Walled garden' option. I like my HTC. Why not have a look at the Desire, or oif Orange do it the Desire HD? Android rather than Win 7
« Last Edit: Saturday, May 21, 2011, 17:42:07 by stfcinbmth » Logged
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Saturday, May 21, 2011, 17:56:12 »

I hadn't considered the Android phones.

The insular nature of iOS hasn't bothered me in the 2 years I've used my iPhone so I doubt it'll bother me with the iPhone 4.
stfcinbmth

« Reply #3 on: Saturday, May 21, 2011, 18:06:58 »

The insular nature of iOS hasn't bothered me in the 2 years I've used my iPhone so I doubt it'll bother me with the iPhone 4.

Sorry, missed the iPhone 3g bit
Iffy's Onion Bhaji
petulant

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Saturday, May 21, 2011, 18:39:09 »

I'd go down the Android route. There are some really good phones that have just come out or are due to come out in the next few weeks. Samsung Galaxy S2 and HTC Sensation are both dual core processor phones on Android and look very good indeed.

That said if you're already on an iPhone it makes sense to stay on iOS unless you're really growing to hate it. iphone 5 is out later this year but it will of course depend how soon you want to upgrade.

Heard some good things about Windows Phone 7 but never used one myself so not a clue how the operate or how good and varied the app market is.
stfcinbmth

« Reply #5 on: Saturday, May 21, 2011, 19:01:36 »

Just out of curiosity I wonder how many people use more than five or six of the apps they have installed on their phones on a regular basis. I know I don't, think it's time for a major clear out
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Saturday, May 21, 2011, 19:14:32 »

16, at a quick count.
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Saturday, May 21, 2011, 19:21:05 »

Bloke next to me at work got a Windows mobile not long ago. We take the piss out of him all the time. He's given up trying to defend it now. Wishes he'd bought at iPhone.

People complain about the walled garden approach of Apple, but I've seen more tech commentators saying that Android should take the same approach recently due to security issues with all the different app stores.

Get the new white iPhone so you can look as cool as I do.
stfcinbmth

« Reply #8 on: Saturday, May 21, 2011, 19:27:39 »

Bloke next to me at work got a Windows mobile not long ago. We take the piss out of him all the time. He's given up trying to defend it now. Wishes he'd bought at iPhone.

People complain about the walled garden approach of Apple, but I've seen more tech commentators saying that Android should take the same approach recently due to security issues with all the different app stores.

Would draw the line at a Win 7 phone, the same as I would with a white iPhone  Cheesy
Iffy's Onion Bhaji
petulant

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Saturday, May 21, 2011, 19:31:46 »

Apple seem to be losing ground in the smartphone market though. Their actual phones in terms of specs compared to some of the latest Android phones are pretty poor. The apps aren't all free like they are on Android either. People are starting to slowly realise that you don't have to pay £100 plus on top of a contract just to get a decent phone and OS. A lot of the iPhone's success has been down to many Apple fanboys. Without them their market share would be a lot lower than it currently is.
stfcinbmth

« Reply #10 on: Saturday, May 21, 2011, 19:38:00 »

Apps aren't all free on Android. Mind you the only one I've found the need to pay for is Swiftkey
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #11 on: Saturday, May 21, 2011, 23:33:15 »

Android will be excellent if you're a geek, good if you just want to setup and go. Never failed to find a way for the OS to do what I want either.

No idea about win7 but the iPhone is a nice bit of kit. Consider if it is worth the extra money, can it do much more than other phones?
mrverve

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Saturday, May 21, 2011, 23:39:11 »

iPhone. Simple as that.

(in my opinion of course)
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Saturday, May 21, 2011, 23:47:31 »

jonny - why does he wish he bought an iPhone instead? What issues does he have with the Windows 7 phone?

I'm leaning towards the iPhone, I must admit. I've never found that iOS has any limitations that bother me aside from the lack of flash.
cavpete

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Sunday, May 22, 2011, 09:40:57 »

I got iPhone 3gs and contract ran out was nice phone did everything it said but was stuck to how apple wanted the phone to operate. once i jail broke it i had the phone the way i wanted and had extra apps that i benefited from. I now have a Sony x10 mini pro not the best android phone on the market but it does me as i can change everything to how i want it. If you want to be a cunt and look like every other cunt get a iPhone if you want to be different as there is a huge amount of different phones get android.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to: