Pages: 1 ... 35 36 37 [38] 39 40 41 ... 61   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Disappearing members  (Read 372320 times)
Flashheart

« Reply #555 on: Thursday, March 29, 2018, 06:57:36 »

I find most discussion about football to be banal.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #556 on: Thursday, March 29, 2018, 07:02:06 »

Also a lot of football fans are idiots as well, you only have to go on Twitter and read the pathetic ‘banter’ between rival fans (mainly Premier League) which is generally puerile and tedious.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #557 on: Thursday, March 29, 2018, 07:08:12 »

While most of the above is true, it does beg the question why other club’s forums seem to flourish with their football related threads.

I usually have a peek at forums of clubs we are playing, before and after, and there is a decent amount of discussion/waffle/bollocks on football.

Maybe there’s only so many times you can say so and so is shite/head like a 50p piece/where’s the money gone.

And the reason this forum is mostly frequented by oldies is that the young these days can’t read or write!
Sippo
Living in the 80s

I ain't gettin on no plane fool

Ignore
« Reply #558 on: Thursday, March 29, 2018, 07:10:57 »

But this forum was never created for the football. It was all about the 'bants'.

I'm sooo cool and down with the kids.

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #559 on: Thursday, March 29, 2018, 08:12:18 »

Maybe its something to do with the fact that there is little to no information coming out of the club for us to discuss?

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #560 on: Thursday, March 29, 2018, 08:17:26 »

I hardly ever post but I do like to have a read of what’s going on.
I found it interesting that quite a few people had an opinion on the Trusts lack of communication, yet when the chair of the Trust came online and gave everyone the opportunity to ask questions, only a couple of people really bothered to take the time to ask him anything? There is a general apathy around the club at the moment and I think it’s a shame, but has been caused by years of neglect...possibly starting around the time we got dicked by Preston, although it was probably much earlier?! I’m even more disappointed that no-one asked him what his favourite cheese was...very poor.

- 15 cunt points for you
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #561 on: Thursday, March 29, 2018, 08:22:47 »

Not for me. I'm here for the football. I very rarely post on non football related threads & couldn't really give a fuck about hot sauces, mortgages & trivial things although I do appreciate that I'm in the minority!

I know this Facebook group you would love where all they do is make informed posts about football and STFC...  Wink
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #562 on: Thursday, March 29, 2018, 08:30:02 »

Yeah, I picked up on that aswell. Plenty of people on here who whinge constantly yet when they were presented with a perfect opportunity to ask as many questions as possible hardly anybody took the chance.

I can only speak for myself but that was mainly down to simply the day that the Trust engaged.

Probably illustrates what a shite 40+ fan I have become, but I very rarely post on here at weekends as I have shitloads of family and fun things to do, only really being in front of a computer whilst working in the week, thus as the Trust guy came on at the back end of the week I had got less wound up by the Monday and to be honest by then when it became clear that nothing was really going to be answered beyond reiterating things about NDA's and undisclosed Town End developments which were going to be big, really big, the best and that's all we are able to tell you pushing the matter furthered seemed futile.

I think as you get older, in the majority of cases life move on and football interest become more peripheral and this is being reflected on this forum, many of us just aren't full of spunk and vinegar anymore. The results of this said it all, potentially 60%+ of users are over 41..... http://thetownend.com/index.php?topic=57252.45
« Last Edit: Thursday, March 29, 2018, 08:33:05 by horlock07 » Logged
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #563 on: Thursday, March 29, 2018, 08:44:49 »

I know this Facebook group you would love where all they do is make informed posts about football and STFC...  Wink
Power Out!

(ooops, Spoilers)
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #564 on: Thursday, March 29, 2018, 08:48:44 »

This forum has been around a while. I was still at school when I joined! Everyone has just got older, fatter and more depressed. I don't go as much as I did then but it's still a big interest for me.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #565 on: Thursday, March 29, 2018, 09:02:12 »

This forum has been around a while. I was still at school when I joined! Everyone has just got older, fatter and more depressed.
I've got older, but thinner and more cheerful so nyaaaaahhhhh. Although I do seek to keep in touch with depression by making regular visits to the County Ground
Flashheart

« Reply #566 on: Thursday, March 29, 2018, 09:05:46 »

You only need to look at the running thread to see how many of us are going through a mid-life crisis. And PaulD's just in denial.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #567 on: Thursday, March 29, 2018, 09:10:43 »

You only need to look at the running thread to see how many of us are going through a mid-life crisis. And PaulD's just in denial.
Oh, no I'm not Cheesy
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #568 on: Thursday, March 29, 2018, 09:29:43 »

While most of the above is true, it does beg the question why other club’s forums seem to flourish with their football related threads.

I usually have a peek at forums of clubs we are playing, before and after, and there is a decent amount of discussion/waffle/bollocks on football.

Maybe there’s only so many times you can say so and so is shite/head like a 50p piece/where’s the money gone.

And the reason this forum is mostly frequented by oldies is that the young these days can’t read or write!
Although I agree with most of what you say I think you are wrong about other clubs forums. As I am sure you know I visit other clubs forums regularly to see whats going on at our rivals locally/divisionally/historically. Very few even mention upcoming fixtures or if they do they are often no more than 2 or 3 posts in length.

With very very few exceptions other teams in our league talk little about football and many have no posts for days on end about anything, even pre game/post game although most do a matchday page where most of the post game quotes I take are from.

In our division the only clubs that have forums similar or more active than the TEF are probably only Coventry, Exeter, Luton, Mansfield and Chesterfield. A few clubs like Morecambe, Yeovil, Accrington, Crawley, Crewe, Stevenage have barely 1 or 2 posts a week if any!

I think thats more to do with the level we are at, the higher the leagues the more posts, interest, football related thread there are, pretty much commensurate to the level they are at.

As for interest I know its been covered a lot in the past and will be many times again...a LOT of fans lost a lot of interest after Preston at Wembley, I totally lost any interest for a year or 2, some have started returning a bit now but its going to be hard to win those fans back and playing how we did under Flitcroft was never going to do that.

As I hit about 35 I lost interest in football, Swindon, England the lot, that was around 2000 when the club was at a low point and the football dished up every week was pretty shit too. I went several years looking for results but not really being interested in watching games even when on live TV.

I moved away from Swindon in 2001 and slowly started getting my interest back after a few years but I needed that break to reassess how I was a supporter, it is wierd that as I have moved further away physically from the club that I have got back into STFC again.

We have had and will have lots of up seasons and down seasons but in the main in my 43 years or so of following the Town we have been pretty average/shit and only in about 7 or 8 of those seasons have I actually really enjoyed watching us and in about 7 or 8 of them I have utterly hated or totally ignored due to lack of interest.

Over the last 17 years since I moved away I have seen Swindon in person probably no more than 40 times in total, having to rely upon listening to inane chatter on the radio about players socks or hairstyles because the football is so shit there is nothing to commentate upon, and then when a goal is scored not knowing which team has eve scored it until about a minute afterwards. That has not helped things and actually disintegrates the listener from what is really happening.

I have been much more rejuvenated this season with iFollow. Being able to watch games from my computers day trips to Holland have brought me closer to STFC again, even through the thick and thin the good and the appalling I feel I am part of it again rather than seeing highlights and hearsay about games and how others see things, often very differenty that I see it, but thats football, its all about opinions but only about reasoned opinions not like the FB group which is only about slagging off Power/the club/the fans etc.

I actually find the TEF in the main pretty tolerant of opinions and very few are shouted down and most are pretty reasoned...long may it continue.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
singingiiiffy

Ignore
« Reply #569 on: Thursday, March 29, 2018, 10:19:49 »

I only come on this forum for football chat and to argue with reg about said football chat.

This usually means that I open up the web page on my phone, look at latest posted topics and then leave straight away. A lot of people know each other on here through old football times and like to discuss 80% bollocks which is fair enough. When the team is shit the amounts of threads on football is limited.

It does seem like the vast majority on here don't watch the team and have lost interest which if is the case then obviously they don't contribute to football threads like they used to.
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 37 [38] 39 40 41 ... 61   Go Up
Print
Jump to: