Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 ... 19   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Grand National  (Read 89550 times)
BANGKOK RED

« Reply #150 on: Tuesday, April 12, 2011, 15:36:53 »

And so do horses make their own decisions, which you conveniently ignored from my previous post. If a horse doesn't want to run it doesn't

Oh, so you say that's the way it is, that's that then?

Why are they whipped?

BANGKOK RED

« Reply #151 on: Tuesday, April 12, 2011, 15:39:26 »

In WWII, the Russians trained dogs to crawl under enemy tanks with explosives strapped to their back.

Apparently, the dogs loved it
spacey

« Reply #152 on: Tuesday, April 12, 2011, 15:41:43 »

But would the horse still want to run if it knew that it might experience pain and possibly death.

I'm not really that arsed, but a tiny bit curious. It'd be nice to think that horses would still be happy to take part in races like the Grand National despite the risks. They'd be like the equine equivalent of base jumpers.
BANGKOK RED

« Reply #153 on: Tuesday, April 12, 2011, 15:48:08 »

If the organisers et al would say that there are too many fatalities and that they are going to open an inquiry to look at improving safety, then I for one would STFU!

But, alas, nothing will change and we will see the same old defensiveness when more horses die again next year.
ghanimah

Ignore
« Reply #154 on: Tuesday, April 12, 2011, 15:48:18 »

Oh, so you say that's the way it is, that's that then?

Why are they whipped?

I'll ask the question again Bangkok Red, are you suggesting that it's against horses' nature (design) to run and jump?

"We perform the duties of freemen; we must have the privileges of freemen ..."
BANGKOK RED

« Reply #155 on: Tuesday, April 12, 2011, 15:50:27 »

I'll ask the question again Bangkok Red, are you suggesting that it's against horses' nature (design) to run and jump?

For fucks sake.

I have already told you that I replied to that in post 121. Stop asking the same questions without reading my replies.

BANGKOK RED

« Reply #156 on: Tuesday, April 12, 2011, 15:54:08 »

Oh.

And stop it with the straw man arguments.

If the horses love it so much, why do they have to be whipped?
ghanimah

Ignore
« Reply #157 on: Tuesday, April 12, 2011, 15:57:12 »

Oh.

And stop it with the straw man arguments.

If the horses love it so much, why do they have to be whipped?

Not a straw man argument Mr Red, I just look forward to you trying to force a racehorse to do something it doesn't want to do. Can you post footage of that when it happens please. Cheers

"We perform the duties of freemen; we must have the privileges of freemen ..."
spacey

« Reply #158 on: Tuesday, April 12, 2011, 15:58:35 »

They love getting whipped!

I read it in a book called 'The Truth About How Horses Love Getting Whipped More Than They Love Jumping'
BANGKOK RED

« Reply #159 on: Tuesday, April 12, 2011, 15:58:40 »

So you don't want to tell us why they are whipped then ghanimah?
Saxondale

Ignore
« Reply #160 on: Tuesday, April 12, 2011, 16:11:40 »

They love getting whipped!

I read it in a book called 'The Truth About How Horses Love Getting Whipped More Than They Love Jumping'

Horses are mad for S&M.  Some of them wear blinkers and have a thing in there mouths to bite down on.  They're basically massive meat gimps.

Never knowingly overstated.
Dazzza

« Reply #161 on: Tuesday, April 12, 2011, 21:30:06 »

Horses = taller skinny cows.  Good for eating in France and good for giving old and young women alike a cheap jolly that doesn't involve the Hotpoint.

On a serious note we butcher millions of cows each year on a factory conveyor belt of slaughter for cheap burgers and yet we attach sentimentality and mistake instinct as intelligence in horses.  Ok, they are smarter than the average cow but given the choice of being processed like a cheap Chinese ping-pong ball destined for Greggs or living the life of equivalent luxury of a nag with the off chance of taking a tumble I know where my bread is buttered.

On the national I’d like to see some of the jumps changed to make it safer but it is a fine balance.   Make them to low and there is a risk of to much speed which is just as if not more dangerous.  There is a lot that can be done and there’s no excuse for whipping the fucking thing to buggery beast or not.  The punishment on whipping is far too lenient and they should start to get some of these little ball bags and screw them down.

Don Rogers Shop

« Reply #162 on: Tuesday, April 12, 2011, 21:40:44 »

Changing the subject slightly i do think it's weird how the winning jockey can be banned for 5 rides for the whipping but the result still stands.Maybe if they know they will lose the result due to it this could be some way to stopping the whipping.
Dazzza

« Reply #163 on: Tuesday, April 12, 2011, 21:45:00 »

Changing the subject slightly i do think it's weird how the winning jockey can be banned for 5 rides for the whipping but the result still stands.Maybe if they know they will lose the result due to it this could be some way to stopping the whipping.

Nail on the head for me.  The sad thing is the jockey will still get a lot of credit for the win and amongst certain circles the ban is far to easily forgotten.

DMR

« Reply #164 on: Tuesday, April 12, 2011, 22:15:06 »

The jockey gets a ban because the powers that be are keeping an eye on animal welfare.

The result stands cos the punters shouldnt lose out for their jockey getting the job done.

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 ... 19   Go Up
Print
Jump to: