Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 ... 19   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Grand National  (Read 89546 times)
BANGKOK RED

« Reply #135 on: Tuesday, April 12, 2011, 13:29:07 »

No in the same way you did not answer the question how horses, or race horses, are not designed to race, gallop, run or jump fences even in a herd.

Post number 121

I know they move in herds. Everybody knows they move in herds

40 was a statistic. If it was 2-3 deaths in 4,000 little would be said. 2-3 deaths in 40 is quite some statement,
steptoe41

Ignore
« Reply #136 on: Tuesday, April 12, 2011, 14:42:47 »

I'm off to Cheltenham tomorrow to watch a bunch of mad uncaring midgets weilding whips, flog unwilling racehorses over obstacles they clearly don't want to jump.

So whilst half of you lot are still banging on about how cruel a sport it is, I for one will be enjoying myself with a pint of guinness watching and marvelling as some of these equine superstars do what they do best.

Stand next to a steeplechase fence as a dozen or so thoroughbreds fly over the top at 35mph as one,  and you will see what I mean.
STFCBird
Ralphy's Wet Dream

C U Next Tuesday!

Ignore
« Reply #137 on: Tuesday, April 12, 2011, 14:48:31 »

So why did it nearly die from exhaustion?

It didn't nearly fucking die, the horse was given water and oxygen the minute he crossed the line.
steptoe41

Ignore
« Reply #138 on: Tuesday, April 12, 2011, 14:50:43 »

It didn't nearly fucking die, the horse was given water and oxygen the minute he crossed the line.

And he was as right as fucking ninepence the following morning.

STFCBird
Ralphy's Wet Dream

C U Next Tuesday!

Ignore
« Reply #139 on: Tuesday, April 12, 2011, 14:53:59 »

T
Really?

Dooneys gate didn't die straight away did he? Did the horse not lay there with a broken back before being shot?

The vets follow the horses in a horse ambulance. But those that do not know the sport would not see or know that.

I do not want to be one of those cunts who thinks their opinion is the right one but I am not getting into arguments with people that do not understand the sport or take time to research their arguments.
BANGKOK RED

« Reply #140 on: Tuesday, April 12, 2011, 15:04:52 »

Just going by the press birdie.

A horse named Ornais died instantly when he broke his neck after a fall at the fourth fence. Dooneys Gate, who broke his back in a fall at the sixth fence, Becher’s, received treatment but was later euthanised.

Read more: http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/305533#ixzz1JJzWeg3G

Surely the horse must have been suffering before being shot? I don't think anybody needs to know about horse racing to know that a horse with a broken back will be suffering a tad!

And what would have happened to the two exhausted horses if they were not given oxygen? We may never know, but it is definitely fair to say the horse was not in a good way!
« Last Edit: Tuesday, April 12, 2011, 15:07:44 by BANGKOK RED » Logged
BANGKOK RED

« Reply #141 on: Tuesday, April 12, 2011, 15:06:21 »

Just going by the press birdie.

Read more: http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/305533#ixzz1JJzWeg3G

Surely the horse must have been suffering before being shot? I don't think anybody needs to know about horse racing to know that a horse with a broken back will be suffering a tad!

And what would have happened to the two exhausted horses if they were not given oxygen? We will probably never know, but it is definitely fair to say the horse was not in a good way!
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #142 on: Tuesday, April 12, 2011, 15:13:26 »

This is just one of those debates that will go on and on. What ever your opinion is, it can be backed up by any range of quotes, articles or statistics.

Nice to see that nobody's given thought to the jockeys who also put their necks on the block every time they saddle up.
ghanimah

Ignore
« Reply #143 on: Tuesday, April 12, 2011, 15:19:20 »

Nice to see that nobody's given thought to the jockeys who also put their necks on the block every time they saddle up.

Exactly

"We perform the duties of freemen; we must have the privileges of freemen ..."
BANGKOK RED

« Reply #144 on: Tuesday, April 12, 2011, 15:20:14 »

The jockeys make their own decision samdy.

And another little nugget I have just found. Jason Maguire, the jockey who rode the winner, has received a ban for using the whip too much. The horse must have loved that.
steptoe41

Ignore
« Reply #145 on: Tuesday, April 12, 2011, 15:20:54 »

This is just one of those debates that will go on and on. What ever your opinion is, it can be backed up by any range of quotes, articles or statistics.

Posted Saturday. And just for the record, Peter woke up last night so hopefully he is on the long road to a full recovery.

Don't know if anybody on here has seen this, but I am sure the likes of Arriba and DMR will join me in wishing Peter a speedy recovery.
It's guys like this that put a bunch of overpaid, under achieving wankers (most professional footballers) to shame.

http://www.racingpost.com/news/horse-racing/aintree-aintree-grand-national-jockey-peter-toole-in-critical-condition-in-hospital/839567/top/
spacey

« Reply #146 on: Tuesday, April 12, 2011, 15:27:58 »

It's those poor jockeys that put their necks on the block every time they ride a horse that I feel sorry for!

I read a book called 'The Shockingly Shocking Truth About Jockeys' that revealed that they are forced to ride horses completely against their will for lots of cash.

Ignore
« Reply #147 on: Tuesday, April 12, 2011, 15:30:58 »

so we're nowhere nearer ending this debate then?
good read mind.

i think deep down i know it's wrong to bet on the national.it is clearly excessive to the extreme.
the fences are huge and the distance is long.a race where only half of the horses finish when they have specifically been prepared for it says it all really.i think it does need to change.
ghanimah

Ignore
« Reply #148 on: Tuesday, April 12, 2011, 15:31:28 »

The jockeys make their own decision samdy.

And so do horses make their own decisions, which you conveniently ignored from my previous post. If a horse doesn't want to run it doesn't

"We perform the duties of freemen; we must have the privileges of freemen ..."
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #149 on: Tuesday, April 12, 2011, 15:36:28 »

And so do horses make their own decisions, which you conveniently ignored from my previous post. If a horse doesn't want to run it doesn't

Do you think all 40 of the horses lining up at the start of Saturday's race were fully aware of the mortality statistics associated with steeplechase racing, though?
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 ... 19   Go Up
Print
Jump to: