Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Laptop repair shops, Swindon  (Read 8548 times)
Chubbs

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday, April 5, 2011, 13:50:20 »

I'll do it 19.99+parts
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #16 on: Tuesday, April 5, 2011, 14:54:18 »

Having read back my post I should clarify that I was suggesting Sippo earned himself some pocket money, not me volunteering to do it
Gethimout

« Reply #17 on: Wednesday, April 6, 2011, 10:30:10 »

Is anyone on this forum fix laptops for a living? I've got a fan that's making a racket and slightly pissing me off! How hard are they to change? or shall i leave it to someone who knows what they're doing?
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #18 on: Wednesday, April 6, 2011, 10:38:55 »

Depends on the laptop but it should be easy. It may not be the fan, your laptop may just need a good clean and some new thermal grease on the processor
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #19 on: Wednesday, April 6, 2011, 10:52:53 »

What Si says, easy enough if you follow instructions.

Build up of dust causes so many laptop failures.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Gethimout

« Reply #20 on: Wednesday, April 6, 2011, 10:53:44 »

Depends on the laptop but it should be easy. It may not be the fan, your laptop may just need a good clean and some new thermal grease on the processor

Thanks for the reply Si Pie. I may take it to one of the shops mentioned on here then! I think i need to update my display drivers etc as well. I think that's easy enough to do though. I've read through some websites on it.
Sippo
Living in the 80s

I ain't gettin on no plane fool

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday, April 6, 2011, 12:09:13 »

What make and model of laptop is it?

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
Gethimout

« Reply #22 on: Wednesday, April 6, 2011, 12:37:40 »

What make and model of laptop is it?

Acer Aspire 5535

Any other information needed?
Sippo
Living in the 80s

I ain't gettin on no plane fool

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday, April 6, 2011, 12:42:34 »

XP, vista or Win7?

You can get drivers from here http://www.acer.co.uk/ac/en/GB/content/drivers

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
RJack

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday, April 6, 2011, 12:43:30 »

Thanks for the reply Si Pie. I may take it to one of the shops mentioned on here then! I think i need to update my display drivers etc as well. I think that's easy enough to do though. I've read through some websites on it.

Use Drivermax to update your drivers basically does all the hard work for you
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday, April 6, 2011, 12:49:50 »

Acer Aspire 5535

Any other information needed?

I've got the same model, it's a piece of piss to do the fan yourself. The bottom tray pops right off.

Unless you're me and you've rounded off one of the screw heads Doh Anyone got any experience of getting screws out of a laptop? Think I might have to drill it, but it'll need a very small drill bit.
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #26 on: Wednesday, April 6, 2011, 13:04:26 »

http://thetownend.com/index.php/topic,36376.0.html

Maybe apply some ideas from there to help your laptop run better. It sounds like Samdy will be able to help with the cleaning stuff.

Unless you're me and you've rounded off one of the screw heads Doh Anyone got any experience of getting screws out of a laptop? Think I might have to drill it, but it'll need a very small drill bit.

If you have a rotary tool you could try a grinding bit (the very pointy one) to create a notch in the head? I've got the tool and the bit if you need to borrow it. Or get some epoxy and stick a screwdriver with a larger end to it and pray.
Gethimout

« Reply #27 on: Wednesday, April 6, 2011, 20:53:37 »

I've managed to update all my drivers, thanks for the sites etc..

I'm going to have a go at changing the fan. I've looked on eBay and i've seen some on there with heatsink as well. Would it be better to replace both or is that a little tricky?

Please excuse me if i'm asking a dumb as question.

I'll give a general clean too, getting rid of dust etc.

I did take it to a computer shop and they had my laptop ifor 3 weeks saying they were waiting for the part to arrive. So i got it back so i could still use it and they still havent got the fucking thing 6 weeks later?! What the hell is going on?!!!!
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #28 on: Wednesday, April 6, 2011, 21:01:43 »

Unless the heatsink is broken (it's not a moving part so doubtful) then you don't need a new one. As soon as you remove the heatsink you'll need to apply a fresh layer of thermal compund/grease to the processor - this ensures maximum contact and heat transfer between the processor and heatsink.

You'll probably open it up and see how much dust there is in the heatsink. Get the dust out and the fan will probably run quieter still. Just remember to plug the fan in before you put everything back together and switch the laptop on Smiley
flammableBen

« Reply #29 on: Wednesday, April 6, 2011, 21:05:11 »

Just use Bacon grease if you do that. Works perfectly.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to: