Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: What is our official worst season?  (Read 4258 times)
axs
naaarrrrrppppp

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: Thursday, March 31, 2011, 17:08:09 »

Using that logic winning the league next year, will be a worse season than being relegated this year.

Correct, but it guarantees the one after that will be better than the one just passed.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Thursday, March 31, 2011, 17:13:30 »

Although there is something to be said for the graphical approach, I think it fairer to compare seasons in the same league....which brings the debate as to whether finishing 24th in Div 3 South, is the same as finishing 24th in Div 3? Discuss
luckyluke699

5 league goals and counting...

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: Thursday, March 31, 2011, 17:22:38 »

I think that's something very difficult to quantify given the age of the league. That said however, having looked at the teams in the table at that time, there are plenty of names that these days would be considered reasonable teams, so I imagine a comparison may be fair...

1955/56
http://www.swindon-town-fc.co.uk/LeagueTable.asp?CompCode=LGE&Tier=3S&Season=1955-1956
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: Thursday, March 31, 2011, 17:29:11 »

I would say Div 3 South, was a lower standard than Div 3, on the basis that a lot of the teams were probably Div 4 standard, and better teams in Div 3 North were avoided. This is why I prefer to use Div 3 since 1958 as a more reliable yardstick, when comparing degrees of shitness,
luckyluke699

5 league goals and counting...

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: Thursday, March 31, 2011, 17:36:35 »

Apparently only the top team got promoted also back in those days it seems.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #20 on: Thursday, March 31, 2011, 17:38:48 »

I would say Div 3 South, was a lower standard than Div 3, on the basis that a lot of the teams were probably Div 4 standard, and better teams in Div 3 North were avoided. This is why I prefer to use Div 3 since 1958 as a more reliable yardstick, when comparing degrees of shitness,

This is indeed a relevant comparison, impossible to compare fully when the division was split geographically.

I remember the 83-84 season very well, we had a couple of great results that year such as the 7-0 away win at Kettering and other FA Cup games against Carlisle and Millwall.

But that side was pretty dire in general and we played some very poor football culminating in 3 home attendances of under 2,000 and a handful of under 2,500, partly due to Beamish's inept man management skills and tactical inability.

Interestingly thought, we never looked like we wouldn't win a game (which we certainly do now) thoughout that season and certainly never went on as bad a winless run as we are in now.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: Thursday, March 31, 2011, 17:48:10 »

I'd say the 83/84 side was better the current mob....it could put out Alan Mayes and Jimmy Quinn up front with Dave Hockaday and Garry Nelson on the flanks.  It's main problem was being shit away from home....but as shown in the cup could play well at home,and pull out the odd perfomance away. Nevertheless as it was our lowest position in the lowest league, it is a benchmark we've got for next season.  Maybe this should be Fitton's stated aim, to finish higher that that....our road to recovery might be shaky...
Oaksey Moonraker

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: Thursday, March 31, 2011, 18:55:49 »

I think this season compares in some ways to 1994/95 in terms of both seasons we had a team of players that should have been good enough to stay up but ended up relegated. In both seasons we were going well in September/October but then went on bad runs, changed our manager and sold our best striker and the lack of goals at the end of the season killed us. The 1994/95 team could perform which was evidenced by the cup run and if we had replicated those results in the respective league games would have stayed up. This season we have beaten Southampton and Huddersfield at home yet struggled against the supposed smaller teams who have more realistic ambitions.

The only lesson might be that most of the 1994/95 team were kept together and came good the to win the league in 1995/96. The issue next year will be there are some players on top end League 1/Championship wages so aren't going to want to take a cut in League 2 (apparently this is in their contracts).

Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: Thursday, March 31, 2011, 19:01:08 »

Yes I thought that I heard a lot had a relegation clause in the contract.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: