Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: GREATEST SWINDON GOAL  (Read 6919 times)
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: Monday, July 4, 2005, 09:59:45 »

I watched a prog the other night, which was the greatest England goal, not sure how it was arrived at, but Geoff Hiurst v W Germany to settle the WC of 66 got the nod. This on the basis that it settled the issue and England won something for the only time.

So it has to be Don Rogers' second v Arsenal in 69.......
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Monday, July 4, 2005, 09:59:56 »

Duncan Shearer v West Brom at the Hawthornes.

Marlon Broomes on his debut (loan) v Brum (I think).
Kinky Tom
Snow Master Sandwich King.

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: Monday, July 4, 2005, 10:03:34 »

That Broomes goal was ridiculous.  I was sat in the Town End and yelled at the top of my voice that it was the best goal I'd ever seen - looking back there is no way it could be described as that, all he did was kick the piss out of it.

I'm taking nothing away from it, stuck from 35-40 yards out, and still rising as it goes in - it sure was one hell of a strike, but I prefer something a little more sublime, or a tap in after a flowing team move.

One of the best goals at the CG in my opinion was Horlock's against Southampton in the FA Cup, that was one touch football at it's very best. Cheesy
Asher

« Reply #18 on: Monday, July 4, 2005, 10:05:46 »

reg - good point! I was thinking that earlier, I loved teh goal away against watford, not sure who scored, hoddle took a free kick and chipped in over the wall into the box, someone volleyed it back into teh six yard box and then I think it was headed in, anyone have any ideas about this goal? we were in teh green and white away shirt?Huh?
janaage
People's Front of Alba

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: Monday, July 4, 2005, 10:08:42 »

Igoe's v Notts County in 2003 was a beautiful team goal.  Loved it.
grayx

« Reply #20 on: Monday, July 4, 2005, 10:08:53 »

That would've been Chalky's third in a 4-0 win.  Quality day out.

I always liked Moncur's goal at Anfield where he played about three one-twos from the halfway line before sticking in the net.
Asher

« Reply #21 on: Monday, July 4, 2005, 10:12:16 »

thats the one! brilliant
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: Monday, July 4, 2005, 10:12:44 »

Quote from: "Asher"
reg - good point! I was thinking that earlier, I loved teh goal away against watford, not sure who scored, hoddle took a free kick and chipped in over the wall into the box, someone volleyed it back into teh six yard box and then I think it was headed in, anyone have any ideas about this goal? we were in teh green and white away shirt?Huh?

That was Steve White to complete a hat trick......Paul Bodin flicked Hoddle's free kick across and Chalkie volleyed it in.....great goal.....but to be the greatest then importance must come into it, as well as quality.
McLovin

« Reply #23 on: Monday, July 4, 2005, 10:19:34 »

I liked Tony Grant's (against Hull?).  A lob from what at the time seemed like miles out.

Also, Kev Watsons against Grimsby in the game that Mark Halsey eneded up abandonning due to frozen ground was pretty damn good.
Kinky Tom

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: Monday, July 4, 2005, 10:24:07 »

Yeah, that Grimsby game pissed me off - yes the pitch was unfit to play, but to abandon it in the first half, when it didn't really get any worse was daft - should have been postponed before kick-off.  As it was we would have won that game easily, but the rearranged fixture only bagged us a draw.

Good goal though, yes - quite similar to one he scored at Southend, which, if I remember correnctly was during the same season.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: Monday, July 4, 2005, 10:30:15 »

If the title of the thread was Memorable STFC Goals.....it would be better, with due respect to Blackcurrant I don't think Tony Grant's decent long range lob...or Watson's disallowed Grimsby effort can qualify as the greatest STFC Goal.
Kinky Tom

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: Monday, July 4, 2005, 10:46:21 »

Bodin's penalty in the play-off final?
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: Monday, July 4, 2005, 10:58:58 »

one that sticks with me is Steve Finney turning the Premiership champions defence brilliantly before sticking a left foot shot past Flower to put us 2-0 up...

Eddie Murrays goal at Carlise was good....very unexpected :shock:

Hoddle at Wembley....lovely move....
McLovin

« Reply #28 on: Monday, July 4, 2005, 11:00:15 »

I know they aren't the greatest, i didn't really read the title. Was just listing some favourites.

In terms of importance, in my lifetime Bodin's penalty and Invincible against The Posh must be the greatest.  Invincibles was actually quite a good goal to boot.
Sussex

« Reply #29 on: Monday, July 4, 2005, 11:14:50 »

Quote from: "Dave Blackcurrant"
Invincible against The Posh

Agreed. Not the greatest, but more of a favourite.

Couldn't have left it much later!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
Print
Jump to: