Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: What Do You Enjoy About Watching Swindon?  (Read 4772 times)
ghanimah

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: Friday, April 1, 2011, 14:44:12 »

For me football has been a combination of many things; the times I went with my Dad, the time away from the missus, the beer and the laughs, time spent with fantastic people with the same interest. And then there's the hope - the hope, contrary to vast experience, that Swindon really can play like the 1970 Brazil team - you know they can it's only ever a matter of time, and then there's the fear that when they 'inevitable' do, it will be the one game that I'll miss.

Ultimately though, the question of 'why' is trying to rationalise what is in effect an irrational activity. My wife could spend ages pontificating about the merits of Manolo Blahnik shoes, and all she will see is a blank confused expression from me, inevitably followed by; "how much did they fucking cost?"

Shoes are like football they come in the category of either you get it or you don't.

"We perform the duties of freemen; we must have the privileges of freemen ..."
Langers

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: Friday, April 1, 2011, 14:51:57 »

It makes you feel part of something, the same group of people who all want the same thing, you dont get that very often.
yeo

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: Friday, April 1, 2011, 15:03:52 »

Its habit,like when Zombies go to Shopping Malls.

/
W56196272
dphunt88

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: Friday, April 1, 2011, 16:50:21 »

It's good for young children to support a rubbish football team like ours. Builds character, instills pride in where you're from, it's generally quality time with your family and friends. I could go on. one of the only qualities I possess according to my girlfriends mum is outstanding (blind) loyalty and faith in the things I love and cherish! And that includes her daughter... So following stfc also scores you points with the in-laws!!

Enthusiastic Loathed Strangers Podcast contributor.
Local media whore.
Ernie Hunt's second cousin, honest!
Overweight local cricket all-rounder!
leefer

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: Friday, April 1, 2011, 18:50:15 »

Feel a bit sad,got to say my passion for the Town has dwindled.....not sure about next season to be honest.
In days gone by i would get a sick feeling on match days,especially away games...exitement.
Been watching Swindon over thirty years....must have spent tens of thousands.

I am a Swindon lover...not just the footy team but i am strongly proud of where i was braught up and the people in the Town.....i get angry when people slag Swindon...come to realise that shows the feeling of passion i have for the place
Still have the passion for Swindon..............but for a while now my frustrations at the footy has had me wondering about the forthcoming season....oh well only time will tell.
adje

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: Friday, April 1, 2011, 18:54:14 »

feeling like every new season is the first

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: Friday, April 1, 2011, 19:01:06 »

Its habit,like when Zombies go to Shopping Malls.

Without a doubt, this should be our club motto for the 21st Century.

SWINDON TOWN FOOTBALL CLUB
"A Habit. Like when Zombies go to Shopping Malls."

Anyway... I essentially only support Swindon Town because my dad supported Swindon. It just so happens that it's my local team so I can be all snobby and elitist towards all of those Wiltshire natives who support Manchester United etc Smiley

I wouldn't swap Town for anyone.

Over the 20 years of actively following Swindon, my support has never dwindled. We are who we are. Can't let a shitty season get in the way of your love for a club. Makes those fleeting moments of joy so much better.

I dare say most of the people questioning their "love" of the club will be still going to games this time next season.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: Friday, April 1, 2011, 19:11:04 »

Because they were the local club. And once I saw my first live game I knew.

Does a Chelsea fan winning the league enjoy it more than a Swindon fan seeing his team win the league? Of course not.

The thing is this, it doesn't matter who your team is, what league they play in, how many support them and how successful they are. They fuck up your mood when they lose and they put a spring in your step when they win.

I tried to kid myself that I could walk away if I wanted to. I can't. I renewed today.
ghanimah

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: Friday, April 1, 2011, 19:35:29 »

I tried to kid myself that I could walk away if I wanted to. I can't. I renewed today.

Me too.

"We perform the duties of freemen; we must have the privileges of freemen ..."
donkey
Cheers!

He headed a football.

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: Friday, April 1, 2011, 20:12:00 »

I'll give you one moment that, to me, sums up being a Town fan.

The date is the 24th January 1998.  Having been dumped out of the FA Cup by Stevenage Borough, and having lost the last four without scoring, Town re-arrange a game against Bradford City for 4th Round day.  Stevenage entertain Newcastle in the 4th Round.

I travel up with a friend from Market Bosworth, neither of us sure why we are going, habit I guess.

In Bradford we see a few friends, each of us surprised to see the other, and none of us sure why we are there.  But there we are.

Bradford score.

The clock ticks on.

5 defeats in a row without a goal looks likely as we enter the 7th minute of injury time.

It was another wasted journey, another pointless match, how long will that hateful man remain our manager?

And then...Chris Hay hooks in a finish to equalise.  A great moment...going mental in the away end, jumping around like a loon, that's why we go, that's why we are at Valley Parade.

That is what being Town fan is, the little moments of heaven snatched when all appears lost.

donkey tells the truth

I headed the ball.

eeeeeeeeeeeeeee-aaaaaaaawwwwwww
Spencer_White

« Reply #40 on: Friday, April 1, 2011, 20:37:51 »

Still a lot of games left in the season, still time for the season to get worse. If you cant handle it then best to ignore it.

In 1999/2000 we might have had a terrible run, but there were some good moments at the end of the season.

Looking forward to august. Im pretty sure Swindon fans will get rid of a fair bit of frustration first game, seeing as we wont have had a properly competitive game for so long.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: