Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: End of our fans complacent era?  (Read 7616 times)
Benzel

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: Sunday, March 6, 2011, 21:53:40 »

Oh... well I had some similar splitters next to me! They just fucking gave up! Perhaps a wise move in hindsight...

Is your cat making too much noise all the time?
PigFarmer

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: Sunday, March 6, 2011, 21:54:20 »

That's a more reasoned response than I expected from your previous posts.

I shout and swear and get vocal. Just don't feel the need to constantly chant.

One of my foreign friends says away at saints last season was better than the azteca for atmosphere.  
Spencer_White

« Reply #47 on: Sunday, March 6, 2011, 22:15:09 »

That's a more reasoned response than I expected from your previous posts.

I shout and swear and get vocal. Just don't feel the need to constantly chant.

One of my foreign friends says away at saints last season was better than the azteca for atmosphere. 

It was a special evening.

Fair enough if you get behind the team.

Cant see the point in comparing one game to a stadium though. Must have been a better atmosphere than the WC final in 86 then.
PigFarmer

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: Sunday, March 6, 2011, 22:25:21 »

She just said that the antagonism between English fans was nothing like she sees at games in Mexico. It might just be that she'd never seen a thousand odd people jump up and start shouting wanker with associated hand gestures all at once before.
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: Sunday, March 6, 2011, 22:28:12 »

I liked it when there was a section of support up in the Arkell's right in the face of the away fans... sure there were some idiots, but there was atmosphere up there and was quite entertaining when the games were a little on the shit side.
I second this.

I don't know where anyone sits anymore
Lumps

« Reply #50 on: Sunday, March 6, 2011, 22:39:51 »

I second this.

I don't know where anyone sits anymore

And Sonic inadvertantly hits the nail on the fucking head.

In the old days Spence would have stood on a terrace, PF sat in the stands with the old men, and everyone would have been content.

But terraces were swept away in what I've always believed was more of an ideological attack than a move based on crowd safetly. Heysel and Hillsborough were the excuse, but all seater stadia were about turning crowds into a collection of individuals. And it's worked brilliantly.

In the old days if you stood on the bank and you wanted to sing you moved down slightly to the left of the goal about halfways down. Your mates knew to meet you there. Now.... unless you all book your tickets together, and with 5-6000 season ticket holders that's pretty unlikely, you're fucked.
Benzel

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: Sunday, March 6, 2011, 22:49:31 »

The Town End is empty enough for enough of us to get together I think. I sit over in T2 and there's usually enough space around me.

Is your cat making too much noise all the time?
König

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: Sunday, March 6, 2011, 23:38:00 »

i love away games more than home games because of the atmosphere, but thats hardly saying much considering i sit in the arkells, i'd love to stand in the town end but then that involves sacrificing the view for atmosphere, which isn't always there. Also, i've always sat in the arkells because thats where my dad always took me, and like someone posted recently (Constanza/Rich?) i'm not massively fond of change! I am however considering moving my season ticket to the town end for next season, but then for the same price is it really worth it?  Hmmm

If i could i'd go to more away games, but most of the time i'm on my pleb because my dad hardly ever comes and all my mates are either rovers fans or not football fans, feel a bit of a loser going on my own!  Should really try and meet some of you lot!!
yeo

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: Monday, March 7, 2011, 00:06:00 »

I stopped singing when I got old.Then I stopped going cos it wasnt much fun anymore and no one I know seems to bother going.Wrong I know and not exactly hardcore but thats the way it is.

/
W56196272
DMR

« Reply #54 on: Monday, March 7, 2011, 04:47:08 »

Hahahaha.

Unless I cough up a minimum of 3 grand I have no choice but to stand there shouting and screaming.

Well done Spencer.
mexico red

Demasiado no es demasiado

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: Monday, March 7, 2011, 08:46:56 »

She just said that the antagonism between English fans was nothing like she sees at games in Mexico. It might just be that she'd never seen a thousand odd people jump up and start shouting wanker with associated hand gestures all at once before.

from someome who has been to league games in mexico, she is talking out of her arse. i have been to plenty and watched rival fans lob fireworks at each other over massive fences.
london_red

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: Monday, March 7, 2011, 08:55:14 »

from someome who has been to league games in mexico, she is talking out of her arse. i have been to plenty and watched rival fans lob fireworks at each other over massive fences.

So its just like going to Orient then?  Huh?
Spencer_White

« Reply #57 on: Monday, March 7, 2011, 10:40:41 »

Hahahaha.

Unless I cough up a minimum of 3 grand I have no choice but to stand there shouting and screaming.

Well done Spencer.

Honestly, Im not asking a lot. If you look back to the start of my post (thanks for ignoring what Ive been posting), I said well done to the fans in the DRS who caused a bit of a fuss when their player put in a naughty challenge. Makes a change from 90% of the DRS fans sitting in total silence for the entire 90 minutes. Thats setting the bar fairly low?

As for what I said about £3000+, the financial side of football is now almost completely removed from the normal fan. Our ticket prices are subsidised by the board, Im grateful for my £199 season ticket, but I cant say it adds up to much financial support for the club. Id prefer it if clubs could be self sufficient on gate money from the fans, and pay the players less, but I dont want STFC to be like Stockport either.

You could scream and shout all you like, but you would have to get yourself to a Swindon game first?  Wink
blah blah

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: Monday, March 7, 2011, 10:41:35 »

I agree with the all seater stadium effect. When I was a lad, my dad used to take me on the Bank, get me a good position at the front so I could see, then bugger off to the back to stand with his mates. I suspect he wasn't the sort to sing and chant all the way through the game, but as many other dads were doing exactly the same, there were obviously a large contingent of middle aged men who could do what they wanted, sing, shout abuse, call each other cunts etc without worrying about their behaviour in front of their kids.
Nowadays, you cant exactly drop your kids off in the family enclosure and go and be "blokes" in the town end, but at the same time, you want to take your kids to get them brainwashed interested in the town and hopefully follow them in the future. There is no compromise as there was 20 years ago.

I like a good shout as the next bloke, but we've got to face facts - football has changed since the 70s/80s, but so has society in general. Football is just mirroring life.

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: Monday, March 7, 2011, 10:51:43 »

i remember blokes screaming in the faces of others to join in the singing when i was a kid in the shrivvy road stand.
this was at a time when the atmosphere was superb in the ground.

all seater stands has deffo had an effect on the current atmosphere,but so has the awful football dished up.
personally i dont sing anymore.i did last season at away games but not in the arkells at home games.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
Print
Jump to: