Poll
Question: staying or going
we r staying up, said we r staying up - 46 (37.1%)
going down going down, going down - 78 (62.9%)
Total Voters: 103

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 ... 12   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: are we going down down????  (Read 24310 times)
london_red

Ignore
« Reply #90 on: Tuesday, February 22, 2011, 12:02:13 »

Been thinking about this a bit this morning and thought I'd give my two penneth.

This recent run that's landed us down the bottom of the table hasn't actually been that bad. (Hear me out)

We did have a couple of shit performances (Yeovil and Wovers) but since then can anyone honestly say we've played terribly in any of those games?

We've started to shore things up at the back - particularly at home (1.43 conceded per game in the last 7 vs 1.69 for the season as a whole) just a couple of individual mistakes have cost us in close games.

Going forward we've had the better of the play in many of these draws and losses, just seem to be lacking the cutting edge in front of goal.

Clearly, and has been discussed ad nauseam, this points to the failure to adequately replace Greer, Paynter and Austin as the difference in our ability to pick up wins.

I concede that the centre back issue was not properly addressed before the season and the blame for that lies at Wilson's door. But he brought in Benyon to provide the goals and its hardly his fault that Benyon hasn't really had a chance to prove himself yet through injury.

I know some of you are sick and tired of Wilson apologists but my point is merely that I do still believe we have a good side, with just a few (admittedly crucial) shortcomings.

The defensive side of things seems to be improving and If we can find some goals I see no reason why we shouldn't still stay up.
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #91 on: Tuesday, February 22, 2011, 12:24:17 »

I'll have what he's having.
Doctor Bamber

« Reply #92 on: Tuesday, February 22, 2011, 12:27:31 »

all good stuff, sadly the Race to 52 thread is where the tale is told. Sadly we are playing "well-ish" and losing, whereas those others in peril, aside from Plymuff, are playing well and getting a couple of results.

Personally, I dont give a monkeys about playing well, I will take ugly wins every time at the moment to get us limping over the 52 line
london_red

Ignore
« Reply #93 on: Tuesday, February 22, 2011, 12:56:16 »

Didn't really mean it in terms of playing good football as such, just that we are creating chances.

In the seven games since Rovers we've had a total of 70 shots, our opponents have had 65.

All I'm saying is with some better finishing and a few less errors at the back we'd be a lot better off points-wise.

Obviously football is about fine margins sometimes, and maybe better teams can capitalise on those marginal differences.

Just trying to put a positive spin on things and show that all hope is not lost  Smiley
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #94 on: Tuesday, February 22, 2011, 13:11:11 »

Been thinking about this a bit this morning and thought I'd give my two penneth.

This recent run that's landed us down the bottom of the table hasn't actually been that bad. (Hear me out)

We did have a couple of shit performances (Yeovil and Wovers) but since then can anyone honestly say we've played terribly in any of those games?

We've started to shore things up at the back - particularly at home (1.43 conceded per game in the last 7 vs 1.69 for the season as a whole) just a couple of individual mistakes have cost us in close games.

Going forward we've had the better of the play in many of these draws and losses, just seem to be lacking the cutting edge in front of goal.

Clearly, and has been discussed ad nauseam, this points to the failure to adequately replace Greer, Paynter and Austin as the difference in our ability to pick up wins.

I concede that the centre back issue was not properly addressed before the season and the blame for that lies at Wilson's door. But he brought in Benyon to provide the goals and its hardly his fault that Benyon hasn't really had a chance to prove himself yet through injury.

I know some of you are sick and tired of Wilson apologists but my point is merely that I do still believe we have a good side, with just a few (admittedly crucial) shortcomings.

The defensive side of things seems to be improving and If we can find some goals I see no reason why we shouldn't still stay up.

LR, I like your positivity, but this squad of players has been ahead in 1 league game in just about 3 months...in that time we've played a range of sides from in form to hopelessly out of form.....decent to mediocre, and it's made no difference we still don't look like winning a game.

Coupled to a record low points total for this division since its formation in 1958, at approx the end of Feb, I think it's safe to say this is the worst squad in Div 3 in living memory.

A comparable season would be 55/56 when the Board decided not to appoint a manager, but pick the players and side themselves...resulting in 24th and an application for re-election.  We are currently 3 points better off than that side at the same stage.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #95 on: Tuesday, February 22, 2011, 15:02:51 »

This recent run that's landed us down the bottom of the table hasn't actually been that bad.

Yes it has

(Hear me out)

No.
BANGKOK RED

« Reply #96 on: Tuesday, February 22, 2011, 16:01:48 »

This recent run that's landed us down the bottom of the table hasn't actually been that bad.

That's where you lost me!
london_red

Ignore
« Reply #97 on: Tuesday, February 22, 2011, 16:09:43 »

Could probably have phrased that better. Was just trying to say that although results have clearly been unacceptably poor, there were positives to draw out, and tried to back that up with what I thought was a rational argument.

Sorry for trying to glean some hope out of a dire situation, won't make the same mistake again.

Please carry on as you were.

Benzel

Ignore
« Reply #98 on: Tuesday, February 22, 2011, 16:12:05 »

I've found the accusations that the team haven't shown any passion or desire recently quite puzzling. Because we have been and it's not like we have done all season. So that is a positive and I know people bang on about how we need results more than anything now - and they are right - but it gives me more hope that these results will come when the team look like they want it, rather than not.

Is your cat making too much noise all the time?
Barnard

Ignore
« Reply #99 on: Tuesday, February 22, 2011, 16:27:35 »

I still feel that we were worse under Malpas, even though I know the stats for the season don't bear that out.Despite our home form being decidedlt ropey, it hasn't left me with the feeling of doom that I had when we kept losing 3-1 at home under Malpas.

It almost feels like the Board are keeping some sort of balance sheet for Wilson, where last seasons overperformance against his targets is being offset against this years woeful underperformance. I suspect that if we go down he'll still be here in August, with very demanding targets for getting straight back up and likely to go very early in the new season if we're not sat at the top of league 2.

joteddyred

Ignore
« Reply #100 on: Tuesday, February 22, 2011, 20:39:09 »

It almost feels like the Board are keeping some sort of balance sheet for Wilson, where last seasons overperformance against his targets is being offset against this years woeful underperformance. I suspect that if we go down he'll still be here in August, with very demanding targets for getting straight back up and likely to go very early in the new season if we're not sat at the top of league 2.

I think you've hit the nail on the head here.  It really does seem that the board still feel indebted to him for last season, which some may say is loyal, but imo it's foolish given our current predicament.   I also have a feeling that he will remain in charge next season even if we are relegated, but that could really backfire on the board.  How would any supporter genuinely feel happy about a manager who got us relegated still being in charge?  I think a proportion of supporters would feel strongly enough not to renew season tickets for that reason alone.  The other concern would be that if it wasn't going well next season, too much dithering would go on again before he was given the boot.  We'd also be in the situation of having to pay out compensation, because he'd be on a new contract.

IMO
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #101 on: Tuesday, February 22, 2011, 20:55:57 »

I still feel that we were worse under Malpas

We were.

Lucky for us we had the best striker in the division.
leefer

Ignore
« Reply #102 on: Tuesday, February 22, 2011, 20:57:48 »

My opinion is that sacking a manager after one bad season is becoming the norm....the club need stability on/off the pitch....feel that Fitton and Co have made a few mistakes this season but lets face it they are fairly new to this game at this level.
I take my hat off to Fitton for his loyalty.
I understand peoples frustrations,i feel the same but for me Wilson is an OK manager,last season showed this.....for me the players should feel the brunt.....ie

Charlton away.............win 4-1.
Wilson keeps the same team a few days later and they get dicked at Oldham......yes the buck stops with the manager but for me its the players i feel more angry towards.
Prutton,Douglas.JPM etc are good players who have been no where good enough.
For me Douglas as Captain is a mistake though.....not nearly loud enough on the pitch.
So for me though not over the moon with events by any means Danny Wilson wil get my backing.
crystall Tips

Ignore
« Reply #103 on: Tuesday, February 22, 2011, 21:05:01 »

Woa Leefer - aren't you the skinhead with the swastika tattoo on his forehead? 

Surely you should be a bit more radical?
mrverve

Ignore
« Reply #104 on: Tuesday, February 22, 2011, 21:05:54 »

My opinion is that sacking a manager after one bad season is becoming the norm....the club need stability on/off the pitch....feel that Fitton and Co have made a few mistakes this season but lets face it they are fairly new to this game at this level.
I take my hat off to Fitton for his loyalty.
I understand peoples frustrations,i feel the same but for me Wilson is an OK manager,last season showed this.....for me the players should feel the brunt.....ie

Charlton away.............win 4-1.
Wilson keeps the same team a few days later and they get dicked at Oldham......yes the buck stops with the manager but for me its the players i feel more angry towards.

Prutton,Douglas.JPM etc are good players who have been no where good enough.
For me Douglas as Captain is a mistake though.....not nearly loud enough on the pitch.
So for me though not over the moon with events by any means Danny Wilson wil get my backing.

You've just summed it all up there.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 ... 12   Go Up
Print
Jump to: