Pages: 1 ... 31 32 33 [34] 35   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon Town vs Rochdale Official Matchday Thread  (Read 54801 times)
mrverve

Ignore
« Reply #495 on: Sunday, February 6, 2011, 20:37:48 »

I laughed out loud when I read this.

I dont think we'll challenge for the league under Wilson, even less so when we wont spend money on experienced players. Just young players to sell on, I already expect Matt Ritchie to have been sold on by this time next year.

Agreed however that isn't Wilson's policy to change is it? Fitton wants to spent the transfer budget (fees) on the younger players.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #496 on: Sunday, February 6, 2011, 20:41:57 »

Never said it was - but its holding us back.

We needed leaders, experienced and proven in League One players in the window, all we got was 'future profit' players

Don Rogers Shop

« Reply #497 on: Sunday, February 6, 2011, 20:42:58 »

Agreed however that isn't Wilson's policy to change is it? Fitton wants to spent the transfer budget (fees) on the younger players.
To be fair that argument is pretty flawed. Wilson has signed experienced players but just in the total wrong positions or they are in general just pretty shit.

Lucas
Douglas
Frampton
Prutton
Pericard
Dossevi

Just a couple of examples of older players that wilson has been allowed to sign even players like sheehan and rose have a vast amount of experience.

I would say the problem is deeper than that and out issues are down to wilson not sticking with a settled 11 and by that i mean during games aswell.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #498 on: Sunday, February 6, 2011, 20:44:08 »

All freebies though.

Which is no good this time of year as there are alot less out of contract players.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #499 on: Sunday, February 6, 2011, 20:46:45 »

To be fair that argument is pretty flawed. Wilson has signed experienced players but just in the total wrong positions or they are in general just pretty shit.

To be fair he did say in the window. Problem with that is where do you buy experienced forwards from? We have at least got a couple com(ing) in with some league experience rather than none.
mrverve

Ignore
« Reply #500 on: Sunday, February 6, 2011, 20:47:08 »

Lucas
Douglas
Frampton
Prutton
Pericard
Dossevi

Just a couple of examples of older players that wilson has been allowed to sign even players like sheehan and rose have a vast amount of experience.

I would say the problem is deeper than that and out issues are down to wilson not sticking with a settled 11 and by that i mean during games aswell.

How is that flawed if the list of players you have stated were all free transfers?
Don Rogers Shop

« Reply #501 on: Sunday, February 6, 2011, 20:51:28 »

Every single one of those will be on massive wages so a transfer fee is irrelevent imo. Don't get me wrong i have said myself that the buy young to sell for profit in a year won't work.I read your post like fitton wont let wilson sign any players unless they make a profit when he clearly has signed experienced players.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #502 on: Sunday, February 6, 2011, 20:55:19 »

Fitton will let him bring them in, no doubt.

It doesnt seem like he will let him spend money on players who wont turn a profit.
mrverve

Ignore
« Reply #503 on: Sunday, February 6, 2011, 20:56:23 »

Every single one of those will be on massive wages so a transfer fee is irrelevent imo. Don't get me wrong i have said myself that the buy young to sell for profit in a year won't work.I read your post like fitton wont let wilson sign any players unless they make a profit when he clearly has signed experienced players.

I think Fitton wants Wilson to bring in experience decent free transfers and spend whatever the money (fees) on good young up and coming players which in the future we can sell on.

I sometimes think it's difficult to find experience fee transfers who are of a good standard and that we can afford wage wise. Players like Douglas are very very rare.

Ignore
« Reply #504 on: Sunday, February 6, 2011, 20:56:40 »

age and experience is irrelivant.the ability to do the job properly is what matters.
adje

Ignore
« Reply #505 on: Sunday, February 6, 2011, 20:58:22 »

I dont think we'll challenge for the league under Wilson, even less so when we wont spend money on experienced players. Just young players to sell on, I already expect Matt Ritchie to have been sold on by this time next year.

We wont recoup our money on that one methinks

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
mrverve

Ignore
« Reply #506 on: Sunday, February 6, 2011, 21:00:51 »

age and experience is irrelivant.the ability to do the job properly is what matters.

Of course it is. Experience players are vital. They have to be of good quality, of course.
Dr Pierre Chang
ITK Curran lover

Ignore
« Reply #507 on: Sunday, February 6, 2011, 21:04:51 »

We wont recoup our money on that one methinks
Agreed, decent player for this level but can't ever see him progressing any further.
Spencer_White

« Reply #508 on: Sunday, February 6, 2011, 21:22:04 »

I dont know, you dont know. All we have is hope.

But I do know to keep us up from here we will need damn good form, and that could form the basis of a really good team next season.

I bet you were down on our chances of challenging for promotion this time 2 years ago as well.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #509 on: Sunday, February 6, 2011, 21:29:07 »

Since when were we a club that spent fucking money anyway.  It's bizarre to criticise a policy when the only difference to the past is that we now do spend some cash on players.  Whether we like it or not, the club is not a charity, it has to find a way of coming at least close to break even.  £3m losses each year end up in companies going bust eventually, please see the current state of Plymouth.  It makes sense to only spend cash if you think there is a half decent chance of getting some back, especially given the amount of players who run their contracts down these days.

Benyon has played over a hundred games, in non league and league two.  He started at Shitty, so was originally thought potentially good enough for this level, and his experince over the past 4 years is showing that is being realised.  That to me is a decent amount of experience and we paid cash for him.

It beggars belief that people think the transfer policy is an issue.  We've purchased more players in the past 2/3 years than in many seasons before.  We got an experienced central midfielder after years of whinging by fans on forums about how we needed one.  We've had two belters upfront, we may have another.  We had the best defender since probably Culverhouse here, and granted, we didn't replace him quickly enough.

Our problems are not about transfers coming in, it's one or two that went, for understandable reasons and realising that they were hard to replace with the same quality.  That and not having a settled team.

It's been a shitter of a season so far, make no mistake, but we've signed a shed load of players.
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 33 [34] 35   Go Up
Print
Jump to: