Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: PC Health Check  (Read 2999 times)
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« on: Monday, January 10, 2011, 19:15:33 »

Evening All,

PC is currently running like a dog (& not a greyhound), just wondered what (if anything) anyone can recommend to run a health check to see if there are any underlying problems.

Cheers
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Monday, January 10, 2011, 19:16:43 »

http://thetownend.com/index.php/topic,36376.msg753921.html#msg753921
Posh Red

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Monday, January 10, 2011, 19:19:14 »

Cheers
stfcinbmth

« Reply #3 on: Monday, January 10, 2011, 20:28:57 »

Uninstall any programmes you don't use, then defrag. Install more memory of you can
magicroundabout
Fanta Pants

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, January 11, 2011, 10:54:58 »

depends what spec your PC currently is. As Si has mentioned in his thread if it's old tech it'll struggle with new software demands.

Yes ram may help the situation but a complete overhall maybe required if the PC is very old.

defraging the HDD helps as does cleaning out any dust etc that may have built up inside.

but full specs are need first

Posh Red

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday, January 12, 2011, 19:11:53 »

but full specs are need first

What info would you need?
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #6 on: Wednesday, January 12, 2011, 19:26:02 »

what operating system are you running?
Posh Red

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday, January 12, 2011, 21:38:59 »

what operating system are you running?

Vista
Barry Scott

« Reply #8 on: Wednesday, January 12, 2011, 21:56:27 »

Just to attempt to introduce this thread to a credible tangent: I thought since NTFS defragging has almost no affect? Biggest problem, at least that I always find with random pc slowness, is just the crazy amount of bloatware running at startup and installed by every little shitty app under the sun.

On another tangent, I installed Nero 6 the other day - 40mb or so from recollection - as my old man's Nero was nearly 1GB and was slower than molasses. It makes me shake with anger, what the fuck are these stupid software companies building?! It burns fucking CDs not controls the US missile defence system ffs.
flammableBen

« Reply #9 on: Wednesday, January 12, 2011, 22:16:55 »

I wonder how many hours of system processing time a day are lost to bloatware worldwide?

There's generally a pretty open, transparent, not bloatware, free and open-source solution to most tasks nowadays, it's just a shame that ease-of-use is generally one of the first things that gets tossed out the window when loads of geeks start making software for free.

Thing's are improving though. You know longer have to install god knows what get various video codecs thanks to VLC (which everybody should have). There's plenty of innocent torrent clients so none of that horrible limewire/kazzaa/whatever adware magnets. And people seem to be aware of browser options other than "I've got three versions of a yahoo toolbar" explorer.

It's still pretty awful all round though, especially when new laptops come installed with loads of shit that nobody needs out of the box.

Oooh haven't had a geek rant for ages. Happy times.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: