Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Broken Hard Drive  (Read 6328 times)
Gethimout

« on: Monday, December 13, 2010, 16:24:40 »

Not too sure if anyone can help or point me in the right direction, but -

My girlfriends brother has borrowed her hard drive to store some files on. He accidently knocked it and it's fallen the height from a PC to the floor (50cm?). Anyway, made a clunking sound and he's took it someone who has said none of the information can be saved as the inside disc is broken.

Is there a way that this can be fixed so it can read data again or the data saved on the hard drive be recovered?

His life is not going to worth living as she would of lost over 10 years of Holiday photos, videos, music etc.

Any ideas?
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Monday, December 13, 2010, 16:34:45 »

Depends what's broken really. If one or more of the plates have cracked/broken then no, probably no chance.

There are companies around that claim they can recover from accident damaged HDDs, but it'll probably be expensive.

http://www.datarecoveryuk.co.uk/hard-drive.aspx
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #2 on: Monday, December 13, 2010, 16:34:53 »

Sorry you're screwed.
Gethimout

« Reply #3 on: Monday, December 13, 2010, 16:45:50 »

I did think the worst. At least it's not me that did it. He told her today that he dropped it and she's been in tears ever since!

I'll try that link once i'm home because work have banned some websites!
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Monday, December 13, 2010, 16:51:14 »

Would be worth taking to someone who knows about them to unscrew it all, I have known the arm to have fallen off after a bump, which can be put back on. If it's the plates like Samdy says though you're doomed.
Gethimout

« Reply #5 on: Monday, December 13, 2010, 16:54:58 »

I think it has something to do with the plates! FUCK!  No
luckyluke699

5 league goals and counting...

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Monday, December 13, 2010, 16:58:07 »

Sorry to say it, but you're probably screwed, as many others have said.

One of the many reasons to keep backups of critical information. Some people choose DVD backups, but I have a little 1TB hdd, which has copies of all the data on it, and it lives under my bed.
Gethimout

« Reply #7 on: Monday, December 13, 2010, 17:06:39 »

Yeah, i have a back-up hard drive hidden away just in case. I did say to her, if you let him borrow it then back it up else where just incase. Did she listen..................... no!

I've also said she should have that backed up on her hard drive on discs or another harddrive which you won't use. They obviously are delicate and won't last forever!

Here's to a grumpy girlfriend for a while  Beers

Sippo
Living in the 80s

I ain't gettin on no plane fool

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Monday, December 13, 2010, 17:24:02 »

If you want a data recovery company to use, then these guys are spot on. http://www.diskeng.com/

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
chalkies_shorts

« Reply #9 on: Monday, December 13, 2010, 17:35:10 »

Yeah, i have a back-up hard drive hidden away just in case. I did say to her, if you let him borrow it then back it up else where just incase. Did she listen..................... no!

I've also said she should have that backed up on her hard drive on discs or another harddrive which you won't use. They obviously are delicate and won't last forever!

Here's to a grumpy girlfriend for a while  Beers

It'll all be your fault somewhere along the line. Prepare for withdrawal of conjugal rites and some convoluted conspiracy theory that puts you in the dog house.
donkey
Cheers!

He headed a football.

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Monday, December 13, 2010, 17:52:51 »

It'll all be your fault somewhere along the line. Prepare for withdrawal of conjugal rites and some convoluted conspiracy theory that puts you in the dog house.

Well, at least no-one can get access to any personal data.  That would be my concern, how to stop the unsavoury members of society getting anything like that.

For what it's worth, I knocked over a hdd and I've had a couple of mates try to fix it (it is kinda their job), but so far no luck.  Might try the company Sippo suggested if all else fails.  Let me know how you get on...and good luck.

donkey tells the truth

I headed the ball.

eeeeeeeeeeeeeee-aaaaaaaawwwwwww
stfcinbmth

« Reply #11 on: Monday, December 13, 2010, 17:56:16 »

Prices start from £199 Wish I knew how to do this  Wink

http://www.datarecoveryuk.co.uk/data-recovery-pricing/
Sippo
Living in the 80s

I ain't gettin on no plane fool

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Monday, December 13, 2010, 18:00:58 »

From £199... All depends on how corrupt the drive is.

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Monday, December 13, 2010, 19:30:21 »

I said it wasn't cheap. Depends what value you put on the data really.

This thread reminds me that I really need to get my NAS finished.
Gethimout

« Reply #14 on: Tuesday, December 14, 2010, 09:26:07 »

Thanks for all your help. I've given him some of the websites to have a look at. Hopefully, something might be able to be saved.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to: