Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Laptop battery replacement  (Read 1868 times)
Barnard

Ignore
« on: Sunday, December 12, 2010, 09:01:22 »

I'm after some advice.

My wife's laptop battery has died. I've checked out replacements for the battery online and found a couple of batteries which say they are suitable replacements.

One of them is 10.8v which is the same as the one I've taken out.

One is 14.4v and about £5 more expensive.

Can anybody tell me if both batteries would be suitable replacements, or if I need to stick to the same voltage. If they are both compatible, would there be any benefits to buying the one with the higher voltage.

Thanks in advance
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Sunday, December 12, 2010, 09:27:55 »

Normally you'd want the same voltage as the original. However it is possible that the laptop can cope with both. Its probably the case if its listed as compatible. You need to hunt down the manual and check though. Putting in a higher voltage when the laptop is not compatible could damage it!

Higher ampage should provide a longer running time (mAh), not a higher voltage. You'd need to check this value on both batteries (v the original) to see if there is any advantages/disadvantages there.

In short if not 100% the higher voltage is compatibbe, I'd go for the same voltage cheaper replacement provided the mAh is rated the same or higher than the original.

Erm, I'm no expert. Think that's right.
« Last Edit: Sunday, December 12, 2010, 09:31:20 by Batch » Logged
stfcinbmth

« Reply #2 on: Sunday, December 12, 2010, 13:14:46 »

I'd stick with the one that is the same
Barnard

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Sunday, December 12, 2010, 14:38:30 »

Cheers guys. I'll play safe and go with the cheaper option.
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #4 on: Sunday, December 12, 2010, 14:40:57 »

Yeah Batch is right, make sure the milli-amp hours of the battery is not less than that you already have but stick to the same voltage.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: