Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: 31 years ago  (Read 2371 times)
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« on: Saturday, December 11, 2010, 11:22:58 »

As the title says 31 years ago today (11 Dec 1979) we beat Arsenal 4-3 in the league cup qtr final replay at the county ground.

Best birthday present I ever had Smiley

Langers

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Saturday, December 11, 2010, 11:29:53 »

Happy Birthday!
stfcinbmth

« Reply #2 on: Saturday, December 11, 2010, 11:31:14 »

Happy Birthday!

From me as well
leefer

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Saturday, December 11, 2010, 11:42:12 »

As the title says 31 years ago today (11 Dec 1979) we beat Arsenal 4-3 in the league cup qtr final replay at the county ground.

Best birthday present I ever had Smiley

Happy Birthday Posh...luv Becks Cheesy

Remember the match vividly...the noise when Rowland bundled the winner in was unreal...i got crushed against the wall above the Town End toilets.....remember the Stoke away match as well when we were two down and drew 2-2.

As a footnote Alan Mayes is 53 today..one of the scorers at Stoke...have a good day.
Posh Red

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Saturday, December 11, 2010, 12:08:05 »

Cheers all.

I remember Stoke away as well.
My picture was on the back of the Adver the following day.

Billy Tuckers equaliser at the Arse was another particularly manic moment
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #5 on: Saturday, December 11, 2010, 12:14:35 »

Happy Birthday Posh, that game will live long in my memory too, the best game I have ever seen at the CG as a 13 year old, started the game in the Stratton Bank, moved on round to the Shrivvy for the 2nd half and watched extra time in the Town End, happy days.

I was interviewed by Roger Malone on HTV the day after the game, my 5 minutes of TV fame!

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
chalkies_shorts

« Reply #6 on: Saturday, December 11, 2010, 18:12:49 »

Stoke away was a brilliant day out. Started badly when the football special didn't run so we all had to go on coaches. Then we had Wimbledon away - another good day out. Quite good fun when the special pulled in at Wimbledon for everyone to pile out and then have to get back on to go to Wimbledon Green. The Arse away and Billy Tucker pushing a load of people out the way to bury the header was a bit speacial as the Arse were a really good cup team.
Great days and sandwiched in between the Arse home and away was a 8-0 win over Bury.
Happy Birthday by the way.
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Saturday, December 11, 2010, 18:24:48 »

So Posh Spice comes from Peterborough.  Incredible.  I'd never made the connection.

Happy birthday, by the way.
Anteater

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Saturday, December 11, 2010, 18:33:02 »

Happy Birthday ! 31 years ago 'Walking on the Moon' - Police, then 'Another brick in the wall' - Pink Floyd at No. 1 in what used to be the charts!
alanmayes

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Saturday, December 11, 2010, 19:49:03 »

Happy Birthday!

What a night that was at the CG against Arsenal ( Jennings,O'Leary,Brady,Stapleton etc)

"It's not delusions of grandeur sir,it's intolerance of mediocrity and minimal performances."
woolster

« Reply #10 on: Sunday, December 12, 2010, 12:46:21 »

Happy Birthday!

What a night that was at the CG against Arsenal ( Jennings,O'Leary,Brady,Stapleton etc)

that was a replay was'nt it, cos i went to hibury  sure it was 1.1 there had a day off school too Cheesy
Posh Red

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Sunday, December 12, 2010, 14:14:51 »

that was a replay was'nt it, cos i went to hibury  sure it was 1.1 there had a day off school too Cheesy

It was indeed a replay, following a 1-1 draw at Highbury. 
Arsenal scored with a penalty (which I missed as we arrived late), and Billy Tucker scored a late(ish) equaliser for us. 

I remember going up on a coach, and a number of the coaches being bricked on the way out.

The other thing I remember from the replay is the Flare Gun in the Town End Cheesy

Oh happy days.
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Sunday, December 12, 2010, 14:23:11 »

Is there any footage of the 2 Wolves games anywhere?
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #13 on: Sunday, December 12, 2010, 14:36:00 »

This is all I can find

The home game was a great night, IIRC Andy Gray had recently signed for them for a huge amount of money and had the shit ripped out of him, with that awful massive perm of his!

26,000 fans in the CG what an awesome noise that was.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: