Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Another new tv thread. What size?  (Read 14455 times)
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: Friday, December 10, 2010, 20:06:47 »

Ah right. I've just got the normal ADSL filter. I take it they're used in place of them for a better connection?

No No!

Homeplugs are used to transport ethernet  (LAN) traffic around over your mains suply. It's used instead of wireless (wifi) or direct ethernet cabling.

For example, the wifi signal in my front room is not good. Its not practical to run a long cable from my room to to connect to my router. So I use homeplugs instead. One plugs into the main socket in the front room. One plugs into the mains socket by my router. I then run an ethernet cable from my computer to the homeplug, and an ethernet cable from my router to the other homeplug. I can then use the computer as if it is directly wired to the router.

You can add more (compatible) homeplugs about the house and create a network, they all communicate with each other.

It's witchcraft I tell you!

Homeplugs with mains pass through is useful - it allows you to plug an electrical device into the homeplug so you don't lose an electric socket.

Homeplugs work in most houses but there are some houses where they don't. But if you get em off the net you can send them back within 7 days under distance selling rules!
« Last Edit: Friday, December 10, 2010, 20:10:17 by Batch » Logged
Barry Scott

« Reply #46 on: Saturday, December 11, 2010, 01:44:22 »

Have you got the TV yet Barry?

Yeah, got it 2 days ago and finally got it set-up tonight. Just enjoyed a few games of PES with some friends. Can't get freesat working though, but it's to do with the cabling, I think. I'm running a splitter out of my Sky feed, splitting it in 2 and running one into my Sky box and one into the TV. Both the sky box and the TV says there's no reception in this config, I think the cables, or splitter, are shagged, so will try to take them back tomorrow!

stfcinbmth

« Reply #47 on: Saturday, December 11, 2010, 08:42:36 »

Yeah, got it 2 days ago and finally got it set-up tonight. Just enjoyed a few games of PES with some friends. Can't get freesat working though, but it's to do with the cabling, I think. I'm running a splitter out of my Sky feed, splitting it in 2 and running one into my Sky box and one into the TV. Both the sky box and the TV says there's no reception in this config, I think the cables, or splitter, are shagged, so will try to take them back tomorrow!

Not really a good idea to use a splitter for sat. Twin output lnb and another cable run would be a better idea, but see how you get on. Have you connected ethernet?
Barry Scott

« Reply #48 on: Saturday, December 11, 2010, 10:19:41 »

Not really a good idea to use a splitter for sat. Twin output lnb and another cable run would be a better idea, but see how you get on. Have you connected ethernet?

I should have gone online and read it up first, it seems quite clear that it's impossible now. Cheesy

Plugged in the ethernet and the Viera Cast thing is pretty wank to be honest, so have only used to it to update the tv so far. There doesn't seem to be much use for it without iPlayer on freesat, which I obviously can't use until I get more satellite feeds in to my flat.
stfcinbmth

« Reply #49 on: Saturday, December 11, 2010, 10:28:48 »

I should have gone online and read it up first, it seems quite clear that it's impossible now. Cheesy

There appears to be quite a lot of that in this thread  Wink
stfcinbmth

« Reply #50 on: Saturday, December 11, 2010, 10:32:49 »

I'm also curious to know if it's possible to stream movies direct from your pc
RJack

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: Saturday, December 11, 2010, 10:35:21 »

No No!

Homeplugs are used to transport ethernet  (LAN) traffic around over your mains suply. It's used instead of wireless (wifi) or direct ethernet cabling.

For example, the wifi signal in my front room is not good. Its not practical to run a long cable from my room to to connect to my router. So I use homeplugs instead. One plugs into the main socket in the front room. One plugs into the mains socket by my router. I then run an ethernet cable from my computer to the homeplug, and an ethernet cable from my router to the other homeplug. I can then use the computer as if it is directly wired to the router.

You can add more (compatible) homeplugs about the house and create a network, they all communicate with each other.

It's witchcraft I tell you!

Homeplugs with mains pass through is useful - it allows you to plug an electrical device into the homeplug so you don't lose an electric socket.

Homeplugs work in most houses but there are some houses where they don't. But if you get em off the net you can send them back within 7 days under distance selling rules!

Glad i read this thread. My rooms 3 floors up from the router and this sounds like just the thing i need.  Which ones do you use?

I've had a look at Amazon and was looking at these 2

NEWLINK 200 MB/S POWERLINE ADAPTER/HOMEPLUG - TWIN PACK

http://www.amazon.co.uk/NEWLINK-200-POWERLINE-ADAPTER-HOMEPLUG/dp/B001BP215K/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1292062819&sr=8-8

Comtrend Powerline ethernet adapter with Filter

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Comtrend-Powerline-ethernet-adapter-Filter/dp/B001M06Y0M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1292063609&sr=8-1

stfcinbmth

« Reply #52 on: Saturday, December 11, 2010, 10:37:17 »

Interesting bit of info

There are great networking capabilities with the Panasonic VIERA TXP46G20 as it has it compatible with Skype, it is dlna certified and Wi-Fi ready. Using the Wi-Fi and dlna ready features on the Panasonic VIERA TX-P46G20B you have the capability of sharing media from your pc in another room, or accessing catch up TV providers. With these facilities you are able to watch your movies or share photographs with family and friends on the main 46inch plasma television.
All you gamers out there might also be interested to learn that the Panasonic TX-P46G20 has a special game mode. The Game Mode option gives you a faster response time, which might give you a slight advantage of your rivals if you play online. The Game Mode combined with VIERA creates multiple levels of black, producing more detail in darker games.

stfcinbmth

« Reply #53 on: Saturday, December 11, 2010, 10:46:48 »

Glad i read this thread. My rooms 3 floors up from the router and this sounds like just the thing i need.  Which ones do you use?

I've had a look at Amazon and was looking at these 2

NEWLINK 200 MB/S POWERLINE ADAPTER/HOMEPLUG - TWIN PACK

http://www.amazon.co.uk/NEWLINK-200-POWERLINE-ADAPTER-HOMEPLUG/dp/B001BP215K/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1292062819&sr=8-8

Comtrend Powerline ethernet adapter with Filter

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Comtrend-Powerline-ethernet-adapter-Filter/dp/B001M06Y0M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1292063609&sr=8-1

It doesn't say what speed the Comtrends are

2. It will not work with Audio Video Surge protectors. They see the signal as noise and cancel it out; i.e. the AV surge protectors do their job very well.

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: Saturday, December 11, 2010, 10:52:38 »

try the original feed used for your sky to check the freesat.without any splitters...

i've recently extended my dish feed from my sons room into my daughters.
i got a 15 meter cable with connectors for about £5 on e-bay.works a treat
« Last Edit: Saturday, December 11, 2010, 10:55:06 by arriba » Logged
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: Saturday, December 11, 2010, 12:39:21 »

Which ones do you use?

I use some Comtrend powergrid 902, only because they were bloody cheap. Seem to do the job in my house. No idea if they are considered good or shit though!

From memory they aren't compliant with the homeplug standards, meaning you may not be able to add other brands homplugs to your network in the future. Not an issue for me I bought 4 at the same time and that's more than enough for me!

s said, homeplugs aren't always suitable for use in every house depending in how its wired up in regards to phasing.  But there is only one way to find out....
« Last Edit: Saturday, December 11, 2010, 12:46:20 by Batch » Logged
RJack

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: Saturday, December 11, 2010, 12:46:21 »

It doesn't say what speed the Comtrends are

2. It will not work with Audio Video Surge protectors. They see the signal as noise and cancel it out; i.e. the AV surge protectors do their job very well.

Ok thanks.  At present i'm only get 1 bar strength on my wireless connection so i though if i bought the homeplugs it would help improve the connectivity.

I was just browsing to see which ones would be a good investment as there seem so many.  

I've heard it's better to pkug them into the mains socket as plugging them into an extension as you say sees thesignal as noise and cancels it so i'll make sure i buy a belkin pc AVV Surge protector
RJack

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: Saturday, December 11, 2010, 12:48:44 »

I use some Comtrend powergrid 902, only because they were bloody cheap. Seem to do the job in my house. No idea if they are considered good or shit though!

From memory they aren't compliant with the homeplug standards, meaning you may not be able to add other brands homplugs to your network in the future. Not an issue for me I bought 4 at the same time and that's more than enough for me!

s said, homeplugs aren't always suitable for use in every house depending in how its wired up in regards to phasing.  But there is only one way to find out....

Cheers for the info. Well if it can improve my 1 bar signal strength then i'll take the risk. 
Barry Scott

« Reply #58 on: Saturday, December 11, 2010, 13:13:34 »

I'm also curious to know if it's possible to stream movies direct from your pc

As you discovered, it is apparently. Seems a bit complicated though, from just having a gander at it, and I'd just bosh them on a USB stick and use that instead I expect. (My technological know-how doesn't extend beyond computers and even then isn't very deep!)

try the original feed used for your sky to check the freesat.without any splitters...

i've recently extended my dish feed from my sons room into my daughters.
i got a 15 meter cable with connectors for about £5 on e-bay.works a treat

I tried to split one line into 2, which apparently can't be done due to something called an LNB or voltages or some shit. I'm convinced Sky sent me an offer of upgrade to HD and get 6 months free and free fitting or something, but be damned if I know where it is. (And I don't want HD, but it would provide me with Sky+ and freesat.)

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: Saturday, December 11, 2010, 13:24:32 »

i phoned sky and said i was going to virgin unless they could offer me a better deal.
got sky-hd box,a new dish,my old sky+ box moved to my sons room,all for free.and the sky hd package half price for 6 months.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
Print
Jump to: