Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Another new tv thread. What size?  (Read 14633 times)
Barry Scott

« on: Sunday, December 5, 2010, 10:11:34 »

Morning ladies

I've been looking at getting a new tv, because I decided I should treat myself. You couldn't make this up, but yesterday, that meant my tv decided to die, so I now need a new TV.

I'm leaning towards another LCD, as I like them and fancy a 42". The trouble is I've found one, that in 47" is only £40 more than a 42" so seems a bargain. Is this too big?

I imagine that once you get used to it you don't notice the size, so for the sake of having something large and making myself feel cool, is it worth it? I won't be getting Sky HD, I can't get freeview and I'll only be watching Sky SD on it and playing consoles in HD. I imagine displaying SD through 47" would create a shittier picture than SD?

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Sunday, December 5, 2010, 10:15:47 »

you'll want a tv that does sd content well.
there was a tv advert i saw yesterday for a panasonic plasma in currys-comet i for £450(i think)
for that size plasma is better.
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Sunday, December 5, 2010, 10:42:08 »

Get as big as you can afford. I bought a 50" and it's awesome, although it is starting to look a little small 18 months on..
Crispy
Pink Jumper For Goalpost

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Sunday, December 5, 2010, 10:46:24 »

Come to Currys in Devizes!

They've got muslamic rayguns, muslamic rayguns..
Barry Scott

« Reply #4 on: Sunday, December 5, 2010, 11:04:35 »

you'll want a tv that does sd content well.
there was a tv advert i saw yesterday for a panasonic plasma in currys-comet i for £450(i think)
for that size plasma is better.

I've seen a few decent Panasonics, but am really jittery about Plasma and both screen burn and motion blur. I also am reluctant to get something that gets so hot and likely uses masses of electricity. My sister has a 50" Pioneer and that thing could heat a house. Cheesy She says her SD is superb, even close up, but I'm not sure comparing that to a cheap LCD is fair.

Thanks for the advice about size sutton. As a man I understand the need to get something far bigger than required regardless of whether it's needed or not!
@MacPhlea

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Sunday, December 5, 2010, 14:32:25 »

Get as big as you can afford. I bought a 50" and it's awesome, although it is starting to look a little small 18 months on..

Agree, I have a 50" but regret not plumping for the 60" - am now waiting for the 3D prices to come down a bit and will see if I can sneak it up on the wall without the missus noticing... Cheesy
@MacPhlea

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Sunday, December 5, 2010, 14:37:29 »

I've seen a few decent Panasonics, but am really jittery about Plasma and both screen burn and motion blur. I also am reluctant to get something that gets so hot and likely uses masses of electricity. My sister has a 50" Pioneer and that thing could heat a house. Cheesy She says her SD is superb, even close up, but I'm not sure comparing that to a cheap LCD is fair.

Thanks for the advice about size sutton. As a man I understand the need to get something far bigger than required regardless of whether it's needed or not!

Pioneer Kuro was by far the best plasma out there but ince Pioneer stopped making TV's Panasonic has acquired the licence for Kuro technology so expect to see pannies move ahead in the game.
@MacPhlea

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Sunday, December 5, 2010, 14:44:17 »

One other thing, if you are moving into the bigger screen market get yourself an upscaling receiver that will convert the SD picture into HD signal (its not perfect but it does make a difference) where it does make a hell of a difference is to the sound output when coupled to a decent set of surround speakers...

If you don't want Sky HD get a Freesat HD box - no cost for HD channels
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Sunday, December 5, 2010, 14:57:11 »

Or one of these:

http://www.humaxdigital.com/uk/products/product_stb_terrestrial_hdfoxt2.aspx

It's single tuner FreeviewHD receiver which upscales SD to HD, will allow you to watch FreeviewHD when we get it round here (or now if your transmitter's already doing it) and, this is the cool bit, can operate as a PVR just by plugging in an external HD.

Humax are doing refurb models (with warranty etc) for 100 quid:

http://www.humaxdirect.co.uk/product.asp?ProdRef=10101&cat=Factory

I got one for my Mum and Dad - including buying a 500Gb external Hard drive, they've now got a Freeview HD PVR (which also plays other content via USB - ie media centre as well) for under 150 quid. They're absolutely delighted with it and one of the things my Dad was most pleased about was that the SD picture is better than the Freeview tuner built into the telly.
Barry Scott

« Reply #9 on: Sunday, December 5, 2010, 15:25:33 »

Thanks all. I've been sold on the Panasonic Arriba mentioned by some salesman in Comet. It's only £449 and seems quite good. Can't say I was happy about their total reluctance to enter into any kind of negotiation on prices, especially with most of their shit being at least 10%-20% more than Richer Sounds.

In fact I was even slightly annoyed by their salesman explaining that they only price match with a couple of select stores and "we can't price match with Richer Sounds"... So what you mean is you don't price match, but will knock off £20 if Tescos do it cheaper?

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Sunday, December 5, 2010, 15:38:17 »

google the model number to see reviews of it.or have you bought it already?
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Sunday, December 5, 2010, 15:48:11 »

Thanks all. I've been sold on the Panasonic Arriba mentioned by some salesman in Comet. It's only £449 and seems quite good. Can't say I was happy about their total reluctance to enter into any kind of negotiation on prices, especially with most of their shit being at least 10%-20% more than Richer Sounds.

In fact I was even slightly annoyed by their salesman explaining that they only price match with a couple of select stores and "we can't price match with Richer Sounds"... So what you mean is you don't price match, but will knock off £20 if Tescos do it cheaper?
Get your revenge by allowing him to do all the hard work then buying it somewhere else online 50 quid cheaper
Barry Scott

« Reply #12 on: Sunday, December 5, 2010, 16:00:12 »

The model is apparently exclusive to Comet. (TX-P42U20B.) I can't find many online reviews and to be honest, I give little weight to them because, well, my tv is 6 years old and am I really going to notice the black is a "bit grey" or "the colours are a bit dull", when my benchmark is a 6 year old LCD? Let's be honest, I'm not going to notice shit. Smiley

To be frank, I don't like being sucked into the modern world of televisions, and somehow allowing myself to believe I need some new tech. I barely watch the thing. I'd be happy with an old crt. I do like the idea of some Gran Turismo sessions in HD over Chrimbo though!

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Sunday, December 5, 2010, 16:16:53 »

looks alright to me.don't think you can really go wrong with a panasonic anyway.just tweak the picture settings from a good distance when you set it up to get the best out if it.

i've been thinking of going for a bigger screen from my current panasonic 32 inch lcd, but am reluctant as it's such a good tv.dunno whether a bigger screen is worth it really....
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Sunday, December 5, 2010, 17:46:22 »

Richer Sounds offer a reasonable price for an extended warranty too. So I'd go there anyway if buying on the high street.

Take your point on the "exclusive model" scam Currys/Comet try and pull, though its usually a small or cosmetic difference to the widely available model of normally cheaper price!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Up
Print
Jump to: