Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 [16] 17   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Danny Wilson  (Read 30322 times)
leefer

Ignore
« Reply #225 on: Monday, November 29, 2010, 19:45:45 »

I can.1995/96. Despite hating McMuck it has to be said that team could defend properly. I think you can count the number of games we let in more than 1 in that season on the fingers of one hand.

Easy when you have funds...like he had.....fuck me he was in millionaires row compared to what dosh Wilson has to work with.
Lumps

« Reply #226 on: Monday, November 29, 2010, 20:15:26 »

Easy when you have funds...like he had.....fuck me he was in millionaires row compared to what dosh Wilson has to work with.

I think if you look back you'll find he probably made a net profit on transfers over the course of the 3 or 4 seasons he was in charge. (£1.3m for Fjortoft, £1.5m for Horlock, £400,000 profit on Allison etc.)

Admittedly he got to retain and spend a fuck sight more of what he brought in than Wilson has ever done in his later seasons, but the team that one that Divvy 3 title was largely inherited or bought on the cheap (the disaster that was Mark Robinson being the main exception).
leefer

Ignore
« Reply #227 on: Monday, November 29, 2010, 20:21:06 »

Agreed Lumps.....the word inherited is interesting...because he inherited a very good team and decided to dismantle it.
Though i take your point about his defensive record....it was good.
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #228 on: Monday, November 29, 2010, 20:21:18 »

In fairness to Mark Robinson, he was actually solid as a rock in that 95/96 season when he moved to centre half when Mark Seagraves got injured. He was never worth anywhere remotely close to 600k though I will grant you that.
Rich Pullen

« Reply #229 on: Monday, November 29, 2010, 20:29:03 »

The fact that Robinson had a perfectly adequate season means (in my opinion) he cannot be considered for such a list.
chalkies_shorts

« Reply #230 on: Monday, November 29, 2010, 20:34:40 »

I think if you look at his fee £600k and allegedly £6k a week when he signed, which seemed to drop down when he was here then for value for money, he's right up there. He really was fucking shit and to think he was captain for a while. Amazingly consistent as he was fucking useless in every department and in virtually every game. God knows how he survived so long. 
jb

Ignore
« Reply #231 on: Monday, November 29, 2010, 20:36:03 »

Robbo was decent in 95/96
Rich Pullen

« Reply #232 on: Monday, November 29, 2010, 20:43:36 »

Over 300 appearances over 5 different managers says to me that history has been unkind to Mark Robinson. I never disliked him.

Although if I'm honest, I cannot to be bothered to fight his corner!
Lumps

« Reply #233 on: Monday, November 29, 2010, 21:08:55 »

Over 300 appearances over 5 different managers says to me that history has been unkind to Mark Robinson. I never disliked him.

Although if I'm honest, I cannot to be bothered to fight his corner!

You know I've gone back and looked at this and Robinson wasn't even a Macmahon signing, Gorman brought him in during the summer of '94.

He was a reasonable player, just massively overpriced. I think we took a punt that he might recover the sort of form he'd had at Barnsley, before he signed for Newcastle, but he never really got over the broken leg he picked up in a pre-season friendly. I don't think he ever played much under Keegan, who sold him on first chance he got.

tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #234 on: Monday, November 29, 2010, 23:01:23 »

I thought he did his knee when he first signed for the geordies.

Anyone else remember him fighting with Scott Leitch during a game?

Class Cool
Lumps

« Reply #235 on: Tuesday, November 30, 2010, 07:08:54 »

Class Cool

I think he signed for Newcastle in their Div 2 promotion winning season and played a few games. Then sat out the first Premiership season after the leg break at Hartlepool in pre-season, and signed for us the following summer.
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #236 on: Tuesday, November 30, 2010, 09:55:27 »

I think if you look back you'll find he probably made a net profit on transfers over the course of the 3 or 4 seasons he was in charge. (£1.3m for Fjortoft, £1.5m for Horlock, £400,000 profit on Allison etc.)

Admittedly he got to retain and spend a fuck sight more of what he brought in than Wilson has ever done in his later seasons, but the team that one that Divvy 3 title was largely inherited or bought on the cheap (the disaster that was Mark Robinson being the main exception).

Should never of gone down in the first fucking place.....anybody with half a brain knows that.

Clems Army!
Dozno9

« Reply #237 on: Tuesday, November 30, 2010, 12:42:26 »

Class Cool

I forgot about that! Just after a goal had been conceeded IIRC.
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #238 on: Tuesday, November 30, 2010, 15:29:06 »

Robinson was 'ok' like Tudor-Jones and Prutton.

I remember the fat cheat cunt John McGinlay getting him sent off in the League Cup Semis.

Clems Army!
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #239 on: Tuesday, November 30, 2010, 18:06:41 »

Should never of gone down in the first fucking place.....anybody with half a brain knows that.

In typical STFC style in the season when 4 go down, rather than 3 we manage to finish 4th bottom.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 [16] 17   Go Up
Print
Jump to: