Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 ... 17   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Danny Wilson  (Read 30838 times)
luckyluke699

5 league goals and counting...

Ignore
« Reply #135 on: Wednesday, November 24, 2010, 16:59:28 »

I am no where near as suicidal as when Malpas was running the ship.

2005 Andy Kings 4th season, £650k tax bill or administration (again!)... league position may not be ideal right now, but compare the club to the years of Iffy, Kingy and Malpas!  Yes

Oh, and just noticed your signature - Dave Syrett used to be my football teacher at school. Really nice bloke!
« Last Edit: Wednesday, November 24, 2010, 17:01:02 by luckyluke699 » Logged
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #136 on: Wednesday, November 24, 2010, 17:05:35 »

I'm still confused as to why I'm a cunt for suggesting Giggs.
I never said you were, but I think those who were guffawing at your suggestion did so because they felt it was unlikely to be an opportunity that would appeal to him.

FWIW, I'd suspect even if he did want to drop down the Leagues to move into management he'd prefer to start at a Welsh club. Bristol City, for example
stfctownenda

Ignore
« Reply #137 on: Wednesday, November 24, 2010, 17:13:48 »

It's not knee jerk though is it, 6 wins in our last 24 leauge games is piss poor gaz, teams have figured us out and know how to play us and we have no answer to it.

As others have alluded to though if you keep a manager in purely because you don't think there is anyone better around then it's over and you may as well give up. There's always people out there and it is upto the chairman to find them, most of us laughed when Poyet got the Brighton job........we're not laughing now are we?! They took a punt and it worked, we could take a punt and fall on our arse but it's the nature of the beast. Who would have though that people like Adkins would go from a physio to sought after manager? To believe there is no one better around would be very naive.
I

Poyet is a shit example, easy to say a manager is good when it's going well.  All that Brighton had this season was momentum they kept winning because it was a habit more so than he was a tactical genius or he has great players. 

If you include the 2 cup games (where they failled to beat Woking twice) they have failed to win in 5 games which is actually a worse current run of form than ours. 

I expect Brighton to tail off and finish towards mid table as Poyet has no experience in a job of when things go pear shaped.  Managers prove themselves as good managers in the tough times and that's exactly what Danny must do now, I am sticking by him but I would rather see him try to go out and bring some loanees in rather than just keep saying these are young players and they will learn, get some experience in to guide them.
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #138 on: Wednesday, November 24, 2010, 17:31:43 »

I am no where near as suicidal as when Malpas was running the ship.

Worth pointing out just how bad things were with Malpas. On top of the shit results we had shit football to watch as well.

Sure we've played bad at times this season, but there have been some good performances and we're scoring a fair few goals. The way Malpas had us playing made committing suicide look an attractive alternative.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #139 on: Wednesday, November 24, 2010, 17:38:56 »

Finding a new manager is just such an inexact science....Eddie Howe is probably the best thing around, but what are his qualities? Could he replicate them at a different club?

Wilson knows his trade...it's going to be one of those seasons, where we're a bit hit and miss.
Spencer_White

« Reply #140 on: Wednesday, November 24, 2010, 18:29:42 »

Wilson In. End of.

We need action in the transfer market in january. 4 out and 6 in perhaps?

I have thought that the play offs were unlikely for quite a while now. But when Danny Wilson gets it right, his sides are brilliant.
luckyluke699

Ignore
« Reply #141 on: Wednesday, November 24, 2010, 18:52:04 »

Wilson In. End of.

We need action in the transfer market in january. 4 out and 6 in perhaps?

I have thought that the play offs were unlikely for quite a while now. But when Danny Wilson gets it right, his sides are brilliant.

Wilson In. End of <-- glad common sense prevails! ;-)
stfcinbmth

« Reply #142 on: Wednesday, November 24, 2010, 19:03:10 »

Finding a new manager is just such an inexact science....Eddie Howe is probably the best thing around, but what are his qualities? Could he replicate them at a different club?

Wilson knows his trade...it's going to be one of those seasons, where we're a bit hit and miss.

Eddie Howe, Bournemouth through and through. I believe he even turned down Saints which is only just up the road
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #143 on: Wednesday, November 24, 2010, 19:07:45 »

Eddie Howe, Bournemouth through and through. I believe he even turned down Saints which is only just up the road

Howe probably learned all he knew from his loan spell at STFC under Kingy  Smiley
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #144 on: Thursday, November 25, 2010, 09:13:41 »

2005 Andy Kings 4th season, £650k tax bill or administration (again!)... league position may not be ideal right now, but compare the club to the years of Iffy, Kingy and Malpas!  Yes

Oh, and just noticed your signature - Dave Syrett used to be my football teacher at school. Really nice bloke!

Are you an ex public schoolboy?

My Old man also worked at Warminster School.

Clems Army!
luckyluke699

Ignore
« Reply #145 on: Thursday, November 25, 2010, 11:42:45 »

Yeah I am, old man was a Loady in the RAF etc...

That's the one, who is your dad then? 
« Last Edit: Thursday, November 25, 2010, 12:04:15 by luckyluke699 » Logged
Lumps

« Reply #146 on: Thursday, November 25, 2010, 12:23:59 »

Everyone knows the problems is in defence. I know it, you know it, the poster above knows it, we all know it. I would imagine the budget is tight (probably minimal purchase cost, and low wages compared to some other clubs) and anyone in charge may struggle to find the right player with that setup (as much as we think there are parallels, this isn't Champ Manager!  Doh).

I ran a little exercise shown below for the last 10 league games. There are the actual results, and the "adjusted" results. All I did for the adjusted results was cap the numbers of goals conceeded for each game down to 1 (just to see how "big" the effects were).

Lost   Draw    Won   Points   *4.6 (season worth)
Actual            5   3          2        9             41
Adjusted*       2   1          7         22           101

In short, we would have won most of our games. We scored 1.9 goals per game over that period ffs!

Before someone points it out, obviously this is not a fair exercise and I'm not suggesting we'd finish on 100 points. I'm just trying to show a very obvious point that the team isn't "massively" away from where we all want it to be, and that it's a lot closer to being a good team than people are giving the team, and Danny credit for

COYR!  Beers

Errrr... I don't really get your point?  How are we not '"massively" away from where we all want to be'?

We're 19/20 places and about 15 points away from where I want to be. And your "analysis" basically amounts to saying, "if we conceded fewer goals we'd be doing better", which I think we're all pretty clear on.

You do realise that the team are missing that goals conceded target by 140% at the moment don't you? That means we need to do MORE than just cut out one careless goal a game to achieve the dream world points total in your post.

Have you detected any hint of that being possible? Even in a game where we played defensively to try to keep a clean sheet, against the fourth lowest scoring side in the league, we can't manage it.

luckyluke699

Ignore
« Reply #147 on: Thursday, November 25, 2010, 13:00:21 »

Errrr... I don't really get your point?  How are we not '"massively" away from where we all want to be'?

We're 19/20 places and about 15 points away from where I want to be. And your "analysis" basically amounts to saying, "if we conceded fewer goals we'd be doing better", which I think we're all pretty clear on.

You do realise that the team are missing that goals conceded target by 140% at the moment don't you? That means we need to do MORE than just cut out one careless goal a game to achieve the dream world points total in your post.

Have you detected any hint of that being possible? Even in a game where we played defensively to try to keep a clean sheet, against the fourth lowest scoring side in the league, we can't manage it.

if we conceded fewer goals we'd be doing better - My point was trying to emphasise how much better we would be doing. Some fans seem to talk as if the whole team bar Charlie is shit, and that the world is ending, when in reality it's not quite that bad.

You do realise that the team are missing that goals conceded target by 140% at the moment don't you? - Yes, but what does that have to do with anything? A defence with destroyed confidence will always let in a LOT more goals, not just 10% more goals...heads drop, more silly mistakes get made.

we need to do MORE than just cut out one careless goal - I never said "cut 1 careless goal out per game", I said cut the goals conceeded TO 1 per game. It was a simple exercise to emphaises just how much of an effect a defence performing even only half decently would have on our league position.

to achieve the dream world points total in your post - I knew someone would pick up on this hence me needing to write the very clear caveat in my post: "obviously this is not a fair exercise and I'm not suggesting we'd finish on 100 points"! Not sure what else to say on that one...

Have you detected any hint of that being possible? - Nope I haven't though fans are fickle and 1 good signing in January could make all the difference. It's a very tight league. I don't know what's going to happen any more than the next bloke, it's all part of being a supporter.
« Last Edit: Thursday, November 25, 2010, 13:16:07 by luckyluke699 » Logged
Lumps

« Reply #148 on: Thursday, November 25, 2010, 13:34:04 »

You do realise that the team are missing that goals conceded target by 140% at the moment don't you? - Yes, but what does that have to do with anything? A defence with destroyed confidence will always let in a LOT more goals, not just 10% more goals...heads drop, more silly mistakes get made.

You see that is my point. You're trying to say the teams not that far off where it needs to be, and I'm saying they're clearly not.

In the 10 games you used in your sample Town let in an average of 2.4 goals a game. That's a fucking long way from the 1 goal a game you're assuming in your potential points tally.

Do you really think that the circa 60% improvement in our defensive performances that's required is such a small thing.
luckyluke699

Ignore
« Reply #149 on: Thursday, November 25, 2010, 13:49:07 »

You see that is my point. You're trying to say the teams not that far off where it needs to be, and I'm saying they're clearly not.

In the 10 games you used in your sample Town let in an average of 2.4 goals a game. That's a fucking long way from the 1 goal a game you're assuming in your potential points tally.

"clearly not"? Do you mean "clearly are"?

statistically 2.4 is a lot bigger number than 1 yes, and I believe you're stating the team is far off where it needs to be. I think you're wrong on that, and that all it could take is 1 or 2 quality players in certain areas, such as an experienced player providing leadership in the defence and that could have a massive impact on this team and thus it's results!

If I remember correctly under Malpas our defense was shocking. Danny joined on boxing day, and quickly brought in Greer on loan who then signed in Feb. We went from a relegation battle to almost ending up mid table.
« Last Edit: Thursday, November 25, 2010, 13:52:14 by luckyluke699 » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 ... 17   Go Up
Print
Jump to: