Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Notts County Vs Swindon Town FC Official Match Day Thread  (Read 39272 times)
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #390 on: Tuesday, November 23, 2010, 22:27:43 »

Fair enough but in the summer, when we signed 2 very good CMs in Ferry and Prutton, both on big wages, and one of them after Greer had left, why did he not think about using the money to fill the gap we could all see was there.

I don't disagree. We now have last years reserve centre backs playing in the spine of our defence. He either wrongly thought they were up to it or...well I don't believe it...but maybe he was forced to play them. no I don't think Fitton is that kind of guy. Danny just got it wrong.

Frampton was the attempt to put it right. Can't do much about it not working out I suppose.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #391 on: Tuesday, November 23, 2010, 22:30:57 »

Sorry, I wasn't clear in what I meant.  Somebody mentioned this season is dead in the water, but they thought Wilson will still come good?  I was wondering what they thought would be different next season for that to happen?

Me.

I don't think we are as far from being a half decent side as we think. My thinking is clear out some 'surpless' and get in some quality in defenders.

I realise that next years squad will lose some first teamers from this year. I still think he can replace them (replacing Charlie will be a big ask mind).

When is Dougie out of contract?
leefer

Ignore
« Reply #392 on: Tuesday, November 23, 2010, 22:36:05 »

Won 1 drew 1 lost 1 in the last three........not a disaster but maybe this team isn't as good as i thought.
Seen it all before mind you so i should have known better.
chalkies_shorts

« Reply #393 on: Tuesday, November 23, 2010, 22:38:12 »

Won 1 drew 1 lost 1 in the last three........not a disaster but maybe this team isn't as good as i thought.
Seen it all before mind you so i should have known better.
You, me and a shitload of others. Its bloody difficult to remove those rose tinted glasses.
woolster

« Reply #394 on: Tuesday, November 23, 2010, 22:39:16 »

We go on a nice little run and we are right back in the mix.  Now is not the time to overreact lads.   Buckle up and get behind the lads.  This team just needs consistency and a solid veteran CB.  Don't throw the baby out with the bath water ffs!
Hmmm
when exactly do you think this nice little run will commence
joteddyred

Ignore
« Reply #395 on: Tuesday, November 23, 2010, 22:40:27 »

Me.

I don't think we are as far from being a half decent side as we think. My thinking is clear out some 'surpless' and get in some quality in defenders.

I realise that next years squad will lose some first teamers from this year. I still think he can replace them (replacing Charlie will be a big ask mind).

When is Dougie out of contract?

Sorry Batch I couldn't remember who had said it and couldn't be bothered to trawl back through the posts!

I agree with what you've said above, but we come back to the age old question of why hasn't it been sorted this season.  Wilson clearly stated in the interview after the game that the defence has been a problem since the beginning of the season!

On a side note, my dad had a conversation with Kevin Amankwaah in the gym today and asked him about his fitness.  Manks told him that he's now fully fit, but is not being picked?  
« Last Edit: Tuesday, November 23, 2010, 22:44:54 by joteddyred » Logged
bassett boy

we will overcome

Ignore
« Reply #396 on: Tuesday, November 23, 2010, 22:46:25 »

Well my glass is half empty tonight the scary side is our next few matches all teams on a roll Crawley, Sheffield Wednesday and then Oldham we could be in the bottom 4 for Christmas and out of the cup
The Professor

Ignore
« Reply #397 on: Tuesday, November 23, 2010, 22:46:37 »

Just got home after the game and I have to say we were very disappointing. Against a team that was clearly lacking in confidence and ability we should have imposed ourselves much more and offered more of a threat.  The first ten minutes we were under pressure with Notts County having more play in & around the Town penalty area.  For the remainder of the first half we were at least their equal and in the closing minutes of the first half were the dominant force with Notts just pleased to keep us out.

But oh, the second half - what happened?  We were happy to knock the ball around but seemed disinclined to concentrate & attack.  The arrival of Lee Hughes was always going to be a key factor & so it proved.  He was a more active & threatening presence & he took the chance well.  Morrison should have stayed closer to him to prevent him making space for the shot & Phil Smith should have anticipated where the ball was going to be played. It seemed as if the team had settled for a point that perhaps they merited.

Difficult to select a man of the match - no-one was woeful but neither was anyone outstanding.  Prutton probably shaded it but we offered little and came away with nothing. A big improvement is needed if we are to beat Crawley Town on Friday & to compound my misery I've just heard Oxford won!  What a horrible evening!
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #398 on: Tuesday, November 23, 2010, 22:47:58 »

Interesting...If he is 100% fit he should be in contention for right back with Sheehan/Rose.

As for why the defence hasn't been sorted, who knows. Have you asked Dave why we didn't replace Greer Smiley
leefer

Ignore
« Reply #399 on: Tuesday, November 23, 2010, 22:49:45 »

Just got home after the game and I have to say we were very disappointing. Against a team that was clearly lacking in confidence and ability we should have imposed ourselves much more and offered more of a threat.  The first ten minutes we were under pressure with Notts County having more play in & around the Town penalty area.  For the remainder of the first half we were at least their equal and in the closing minutes of the first half were the dominant force with Notts just pleased to keep us out.

But oh, the second half - what happened?  We were happy to knock the ball around but seemed disinclined to concentrate & attack.  The arrival of Lee Hughes was always going to be a key factor & so it proved.  He was a more active & threatening presence & he took the chance well.  Morrison should have stayed closer to him to prevent him making space for the shot & Phil Smith should have anticipated where the ball was going to be played. It seemed as if the team had settled for a point that perhaps they merited.

Difficult to select a man of the match - no-one was woeful but neither was anyone outstanding.  Prutton probably shaded it but we offered little and came away with nothing. A big improvement is needed if we are to beat Crawley Town on Friday & to compound my misery I've just heard Oxford won!  What a horrible evening!

Good on you for going.....deserve better.

Ignore
« Reply #400 on: Tuesday, November 23, 2010, 22:54:37 »

if like for like replacements had been made,and improving a bit in areas we may have started better this season and carried on where we left it last year.that is what should have happend and was not unreasonable to expect that either.
not doing that has us where we are.wilson has tinkered with the side loads, both with formations and personel.that has not helped at all.

we wont go down,but we wont be anywhere near the play offs either
santasdead

« Reply #401 on: Tuesday, November 23, 2010, 23:03:08 »

just got back. that was the definition of shit.

see you at tranmere.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #402 on: Tuesday, November 23, 2010, 23:04:56 »

if like for like replacements had been made,and improving a bit in areas we may have started better this season and carried on where we left it last year.that is what should have happend and was not unreasonable to expect that either.
not doing that has us where we are.wilson has tinkered with the side loads, both with formations and personel.that has not helped at all.

we wont go down,but we wont be anywhere near the play offs either

Totally agree. Except we did carry on where we left off last season. We were shit in the last month (Charlton aside).
Oaksey Moonraker

Ignore
« Reply #403 on: Tuesday, November 23, 2010, 23:07:04 »

I think Wilson needs to start getting some consistency in his selections and the formation he adopts. Too often he seems to want to accommodate players in the team especially midfield and defence (and his summer signings) rather than stick to a formation and structure. Cuthbert has been retained in the team at right back when we have a right back in Caddis who we paid money for. We need a decision on the centre back pairing (or get an experienced centre back in), right back and get some balance and width to the midfield. We desperately need a consistent scoring partner for Charlie.

Personally I think we will pick up results soon and that we may go on a run in the New Year. At the start of the season I thought we finish about 8th with a late charge but fall short.
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #404 on: Tuesday, November 23, 2010, 23:23:14 »

Danny Wilson (sounding very agitated)...

- We did enough to deserve a point but lost concentration
 - You have to have stability at the back and we don't have it
 - This season we've given "miles too many" goals away because of bad decision making
 - If we're going to persevere with these defenders we have to keep backing them and hope they can rise to the occasion
 - We need to be more resilient as a team

These are all the things that Wilson as manager should be addressing, yet he doesn't seem to have a clue and possibly doesn't even think he can do something about it. Our defenders aren't shit, they've all put in near perfect performances at some point this season so we know they are capable of playing well. So why aren't they playing well each week?

I don't want to see Wilson go as he's done a lot of good, especially some (most) of the players he's signed. But the results just aren't good enough and if he doesn't turn it around soon I can see Fitton losing patience in the near future. A loss to Crawley and still being near (or in) the drop zone come the end of the year might see him gone.
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30   Go Up
Print
Jump to: