Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 [7] 8   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: OpenDNS  (Read 25567 times)
stfcinbmth

« Reply #90 on: Sunday, November 28, 2010, 15:39:13 »

So the OpenDNS addies go in the kisses ie 208.67.222.222 208.67.220.220

I was a tad concerned about the red entries, thought I'd been hacked by a load of indians

Guess the next problem will be the addition of the wireless router
« Last Edit: Sunday, November 28, 2010, 15:41:04 by stfcinbmth » Logged
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #91 on: Sunday, November 28, 2010, 17:27:02 »

Yes.

I thought the same. Guess it must have been written in India and they put their names in for a laugh.

The wireless router has to go BEFORE the 837. So you need to plug it in to one of the ports on the 837. You'll need to set up DHCP so the address ranges don't clash between the two (eg 192.168.1.0/24 and 192.168.2.0/24). The default route on the wireless needs to be the IP on the 837 port you plug it in to, ie the IP of where the ethernet cable goes to.

Except when the packet gets to the 837 you need to identify where it came from to be able to filter it, which you should be able to do via the IP (which would rule out DHCP on the wireless) or wireless logon session (if you can identify it on the 837 and I've got a feeling you won't be able to). Which probably means you won't be able to use DHCP on the wireless so you'll have to assign the IP's manually, unless the wireless allows you to assign IP by wireless logon session.

The MAC won't help you either, as the MAC for the original source PC won't be available on the 837.

Does that make sense?
« Last Edit: Sunday, November 28, 2010, 17:33:51 by jonny72 » Logged
stfcinbmth

« Reply #92 on: Sunday, November 28, 2010, 17:41:18 »

Does that make sense?

Not one little bit. The 837's ip being 192.168.240.125 so Wireless router could be set as 192.168.440.125
The rest is certainly gobbledygook

Oh and what do I do with the ISP settings in wireless router, just delete including the OpenDns server settings?
« Last Edit: Sunday, November 28, 2010, 17:46:34 by stfcinbmth » Logged
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #93 on: Sunday, November 28, 2010, 20:00:24 »

I'm making some of this up as I go along, but I think it's all good....

The wireless default gateway needs to be the IP address of the 837, which looks like 192.168.240.125 - you can confirm it by checking what is showing as the default gateway on the PC you've connected to the 837. (When the wireless gets an IP packet destined for the internet, it won't know where to send it, so it sends it to the default gateway - the 837).

The ISP settings for the wireless should (basically) be changed to point to the 837. All you're doing in effect is adding an extra router (the 837) between the wireless and your ISP's router. So you point the 837 to the ISP and the wireless to the 837.

When it comes to filtering traffic on the 837 you need a way of identifying the packets you want to filter, which means the IP addresses (of the local computer and the internet computer). So you need to have fixed IP addresses for the computers that are connected through the wireless, which means no DHCP. You might be able to assign IP based on the logon used to the wireless, otherwise you'll have to hard code them on the computers.

Then you need to set up the filtering on the 837. I'd imagine you can do this based on the IP addresses, or the type of traffic and probably some other things. Not sure how to do this but I read in some of the 837 documentation that it's possible (via the web interface). I've never done any of this myself but it's been on my list, based on my reading up on it the above should work.

Though helping you has convinced me to get rid of the Cisco routers I've currently got (2500/2600/3600 series) and never used and get a bunch of 800 series ones instead. Fuck knows why I bought them in the first place.

As regards the MAC comment, just forget all about the MAC addresses for what you're trying to do. It's irrelevant.
« Last Edit: Sunday, November 28, 2010, 20:02:05 by jonny72 » Logged
stfcinbmth

« Reply #94 on: Monday, November 29, 2010, 17:08:34 »

From a quick check it looks like those users get added automatically by CRWS, not sure why or if they get cleaned up.

I can't see any entries in that config for DNS, the following commands *should* do the trick....

this should enable it for the specific DHCP pool....

router>enable
router#configure terminal
router(config)#ip dhcp pool CLIENT
router(config-dhcp)#dns-server x.x.x.x x.x.x.x (up to x6)
router(config-dhcp)#exit
router(config)#ip dns server
router(config)#ip name-server x.x.x.x x.x.x.x (up to x6)

this should enable it globally....

router>enable
router#configure terminal
router(config)#ip dns server
router(config)#ip name-server x.x.x.x x.x.x.x (up to x6)

Check to make sure it works (you'll need to refresh the IP settings on the PC's) before saving the config (see previous commands).

Applied these today, but that's as far as I've got as I've been sorting out some stuff that I bought in my old tits up companies online fire sale. Namely LCD monitors and a nice little Fujitsu Dual Core pc
stfcinbmth

« Reply #95 on: Thursday, December 2, 2010, 18:55:25 »

Just a curious question jonny. Would it be possible to set my pc's with a manual addy(which I normally do anyway) and the Cisco as static, as they are wired, and have the wireless router use DHCP for all the students ip's, that would then make it easy enough just to set the key on their lappies? If you see what I mean which I'm sure you do, then if they take said lappies anywhere else then they don't have to faff around in the Control Panel. I've got a feeling that this isn't possible
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #96 on: Thursday, December 2, 2010, 20:57:41 »

Anything is possible. Probably.

Will all of your PC's connect to the 837 and all the students to the wifi? Or will some of your PC's go through the wifi as well?

I've got a batch of 837 routers en route to me, should be here tomorrow hopefully. Will make it a lot easier for me to help once I've got them as I can set up the same configuration and get it working, then supply you with the config settings.
stfcinbmth

« Reply #97 on: Thursday, December 2, 2010, 21:17:31 »

Anything is possible. Probably.

Will all of your PC's connect to the 837 and all the students to the wifi? Or will some of your PC's go through the wifi as well?

I've got a batch of 837 routers en route to me, should be here tomorrow hopefully. Will make it a lot easier for me to help once I've got them as I can set up the same configuration and get it working, then supply you with the config settings.

Yep as stated, most of my networked items are hardwired, either direct to wireless router or through homeplugs. Should I ever sort my laptop out or purchase another one, then that will be the only one of mine that will need to connect wirelessly. Unless of course I include my Desire and any lappies I'm doing reinstalls on
stfcinbmth

« Reply #98 on: Monday, December 6, 2010, 10:41:56 »

Have you got those 837's yet jonny?
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #99 on: Monday, December 6, 2010, 17:15:41 »

Sat at the Fedex depot. Should be re-delivering them to me at work tomorrow.
stfcinbmth

« Reply #100 on: Tuesday, December 7, 2010, 10:29:19 »

Sat at the Fedex depot. Should be re-delivering them to me at work tomorrow.

No worries as it looks like the file sharer of the year will be leaving us. He's not happy about the fact that we don't have the heating on all day and set at 30 degrees. He's cold, bless
Still need to get it sorted though as I imagine we'll have another contender soon
stfcinbmth

« Reply #101 on: Saturday, December 18, 2010, 15:40:03 »

You got yours up and running yet jonny? I've had another factory reset and play around this afternoon, had the router connected to the net.
One problem I've found, if you set the router to DHCP you can't set the ip's on the pc's manually and connect to the net, if you then remove the manual ip and set the pc to DHCP then it connects. Is there a way round this aside from setting the 837 as static?
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #102 on: Saturday, December 18, 2010, 20:06:43 »

You got yours up and running yet jonny? I've had another factory reset and play around this afternoon, had the router connected to the net.
One problem I've found, if you set the router to DHCP you can't set the ip's on the pc's manually and connect to the net, if you then remove the manual ip and set the pc to DHCP then it connects. Is there a way round this aside from setting the 837 as static?

Surely you can define the DHCP pool of addresses to exclude the statics you want to assign?
stfcinbmth

« Reply #103 on: Saturday, December 18, 2010, 22:29:32 »

Surely you can define the DHCP pool of addresses to exclude the statics you want to assign?

Yes I see what you mean Batch, what I want to do is basically manually configure my pc's as static ip's, so If I configure the secondary network as 10.10.20.1 so I can use 10.10.20.2-10.10.20.10 as static then assign say 10.10.20.11-10.10.20.50 as DHCP
stfcinbmth

« Reply #104 on: Sunday, December 19, 2010, 19:07:54 »

How to add ISP details manually. CRWS doesn't get it right
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 [7] 8   Go Up
Print
Jump to: