Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Removing IE8 search box  (Read 1603 times)
thedarkprince

Hubba-hubba

Ignore
« on: Saturday, October 30, 2010, 22:34:11 »

Anyone have any idea how I can remove the search box (the one in top righ, default is Bing) from IE8?  It seems a totally pointless thing to me and has slowly started to annoy me more and more. 

There's a few instructions kicking about but most mention the Local Group Policy Editor, which doesn't exist on Home Premium edition, and a Registry edit, which doesn't work on Home Premium edition (spotted the theme yet?!).

I'm guessing there must be a way to do this but can't for the life of me find it or work it out.

In case it helps some of the more technically-minded amongst you, here's the instructions I've found:
http://www.mydigitallife.info/2009/08/20/how-to-disable-remove-or-hide-ie8-search-box/
Barry Scott

« Reply #1 on: Sunday, October 31, 2010, 09:09:34 »

I know it's bit sanctimonious of me, but you shouldn't really be using Internet Explorer in a day when the market is awash with browsers that are streets ahead of the very poor Internet Explorer.

SRWare Iron
Opera
Safari
Firefox
thedarkprince

Hubba-hubba

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Sunday, October 31, 2010, 09:46:25 »

Don't worry, I was expecting a response like this Cheesy

I do use Firefox at home but at work we have to use IE8 and that part is bugging the shit out of me as it seems completely pointless when it takes only a second or two to type google.co.uk or bing.com in the fucking address bar.
thedarkprince

Hubba-hubba

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Sunday, October 31, 2010, 09:51:29 »

...and yes it is weird that a company would choose to use Home Premium over Pro.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: