Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Town trialist John Campbell Exclusive Interview  (Read 15680 times)
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #75 on: Tuesday, December 14, 2010, 18:30:13 »

Couldn't he have moved his caravan closer to us?

Heres a random article I found on him, from 4/5 years ago......

THE GYPSY WHO REFUSED TO TRAVEL

HE is the hottest striker outside the Premiership after scoring the goal that knocked holders Manchester United out of the Carling Cup.

And, after the greatest footballing night of his life, Freddy Eastwood (above) went home to his caravan on a travellers' site under threat from the bulldozers of his local council.

Eastwood bought the land where his home is and added an extension, but it is on green belt land and he didn't get planning permission, leaving the council attempting to evict him and others.

The appeal hearing was supposed to be in October but it has been postponed and another hearing date has not yet been set.

This is the unique world of Southend striker Eastwood, the 23-year-old hitman who has been a lifelong Manchester United fan but admits he turned down repeated attempts by the Reds to snare him because the north is too far away.

He said: "I was about 12 at the time. I was on the Bobby Charlton soccer school and got to meet Ryan Giggs, which was great.

"I got invited back three times by them but I didn't go as it was a long way away."

Eastwood was eventually taken on by West Ham, but when they released him as a teenager he almost turned his back on the game.

He had to be persuaded not to go into working at his father's Essex car dealership by then Grays manager Paul Stimpson, who in turn convinced Southend boss Steve Tilson to take a chance on him.

Phil O'Reilly, secretary at Grays, said last night: "The travellers are a very close-knit family.

"It was a standing joke here after he left that he could be seen on a Saturday morning exercising his pony and trap on the A127 and then going on to play for Southend in the afternoon.

"Several people saw him doing that.

"You could say we had to be a bit flexible with him because of his lifestyle." Eastwood was still maintaining last night that despite gunning down Manchester United, he was more concerned about preserving bottom-of-the table Southend's Championship status, beginning with Saturday's League game against Preston.

The striker said: "This is the best result I've had in my career so far because I've always been a Man United fan.

"Just to play against them was superb but to score the only goal was just the most amazing feeling. What we have done is exceptional.

"As soon as I hit the free-kick I was happy with it and for it to be the winner was just superb." A posse of scouts were at Tuesday night's match and will again be waiting to run the rule over Eastwood this weekend.

Advertisement - article continues below »

And although Tilson is desperate to keep hold of his top scorer, he admits every player has a price.

But he will not take less than £5million and hopes Eastwood's Romany roots will at least put him off a big move too far from home. "I'm not sure he'd go right up north to be honest," said Tilson. "If someone like Sunderland came in for him, I don't think he'd go. He's a home boy, but there comes a time when you want to enhance your career and if a top side from up north comes in then I guess he may go there.

"I encourage people to move on, but anyone who comes in for him has to put the money on the table."

Stimpson, now in charge at Stevenage and the man who actually rescued Eastwood from obscurity seven years ago, said: "Freddy can go as high as he wants to. He has got the ability. People have talked about off-the-field problems with him, but I never had any. He comes from a fantastic family.

"It went wrong at West Ham for personal reasons.

"His background is different to normal people because he is a Gypsy, but he is a lovely, confident lad and he could handle the step up.

"Working with better players would only benefit him."

ROONEY v ROMANY

WAYNE ROONEY bulldozed a 1930s house to make way for his three-storey modern mansion (left)... but Southend hitman Freddy Eastwood is fighting to keep the bulldozers away from his modest home (right) on a disputed traveller site.

The two strikers are worlds apart - here's the tale of the tape...

EARNS - Rooney - £100,000 a week but renegotiating contract. Total annual earnings, from all sources, £11.2million. Romany -  £100,000 a year.

LIVES - Rooney - in a £4.25million mansion boasting a £13,000 gym and cinema in Prestbury, Cheshire. Romany - in a mobile home on a £2,000 green belt plot in Essex which has been refused planning permission.

LOVES - Rooney - fiancee Coleen, who has a magazine column, modelling deals and a passion for shopping. Romany -  wife Debbie, daughter Chardonnay, two, and son Freddy Jr, four.

COST - Rooney - £30million from Everton in 2004. Romany - £40,000 from non-League Grays Athletic in 2004

DRIVES - Rooney - a £50,000 Cadillac Escalade, a BMW X5, a Chrysler 300C among others. Romany - a £14,000 MG ZR - a reward from Essex Car Rentals for his goal scoring.

GOALS THIS SEASON - Rooney - five. Romany - 10

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Barry Scott

« Reply #76 on: Tuesday, December 14, 2010, 21:05:39 »

Have we not signed him yet?
leefer

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: Tuesday, December 14, 2010, 21:07:51 »

Have we not signed him yet?

Too old now.
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: Tuesday, December 14, 2010, 21:40:40 »

The latest is up on the other forum.

http://forum.web-fans.com/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=8678&start=30
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #79 on: Tuesday, December 14, 2010, 21:44:33 »

Its all so exciting isn't it! Hope it pans out.

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #80 on: Tuesday, December 14, 2010, 21:49:31 »

The latest is up on the other forum.

There's another forum (other than 'I can't believe its not MOS'?). Amazing.

JC - yeah at 60 minutes I knew I was coming off so I just went with whatever Swindon wanted, I just love the who thing about the club.

MJ - So have they offered you anything.

JC - No actually very little was said except see you at training but I hope they have seen something, I really would like to stay here, Ken the chief scout was excellent, the staff behind the scenes like the club secretary has been great, you just get a good feeling, I hope they see something.

I know he's after a contract, but nice to read all the same.
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #81 on: Tuesday, December 14, 2010, 21:52:21 »

There's another forum (other than 'I can't believe its not MOS'?). Amazing.

I know he's after a contract, but nice to read all the same.

I meant the other forum that actually has football talk and not just random swearing/stupidity and leroy and riddles eating and sexual habits.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: