Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Football Idols  (Read 9084 times)
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #60 on: Wednesday, October 20, 2010, 19:11:08 »

I was hoping someone would say Bullock. He's one of my favourite players too.
A Gent Orange

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: Wednesday, October 20, 2010, 19:11:27 »

Frank Rijkaard, Marco van Basten and Ruud Gullit. Basically that Milan side but primarily the three Dutch men who added so much flair, creativity and power. Gullit particularly will surely be judged by history as a brilliant player. He played in do many position and scored and set up so many superb goals.
jb

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: Wednesday, October 20, 2010, 19:12:00 »

I was hoping someone would say Bullock. He's one of my favourite players too.

Too Cool

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: Wednesday, October 20, 2010, 19:37:56 »

well if we're talking town hero's my first was chris kamara.
nochee

« Reply #64 on: Wednesday, October 20, 2010, 19:50:50 »

well if we're talking town hero's my first was chris kamara.

Mine was Charlie Henry after he scored that peach of a 20 yarder against the Pikeys. I wad 10 years old and my dad was mates with him, well proud!
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: Wednesday, October 20, 2010, 21:14:14 »

Does that one abandoned match in Ireland even count as a cap?

He got 8 caps according to Wikipedia. He should have got far more though.
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: Wednesday, October 20, 2010, 21:19:39 »

I think you have to be quite young to have an idol and like Leefer it was the Don for me. 

He could win any match by scoring from anywhere single handed and he could do this against any team, witness West Ham, Liverpool, Arsenal and so on.

It was no surprise he could do the same in the top league when he eventually joined the Palace.  He missed the first 2 or 3 months but could otherwise have been the player of the season that year.

However his bad hip and relegation for the Palace in spite of Don's best efforts meant that Town enjoyed nearly all of his best days.  Rarely do you see such extravagant talents in so modest an individual.

Kammy was a slightly later hero - enduring monkey chants from Pompey fans whom he had left for the Town on his first game against Pompey and pretty much ending his Town career I think (Reg will correct me) by responding to racist taunts by breaking the Shrew's Jim Melrose's nose at the end of 90 minutes at Gay Meadow .... and picking up an ABH for his trouble. 

In between his sliding tackles were as mesmerising as Hendrix with his guitar  (well maybe not quite)
Lumps

« Reply #67 on: Wednesday, October 20, 2010, 21:47:19 »

He got 8 caps according to Wikipedia. He should have got far more though.

So he did. He'd even started at least one competetive game.
chalkies_shorts

« Reply #68 on: Wednesday, October 20, 2010, 22:03:42 »

My first Town hero was Steve Aizlewood - a very underrated defender. The biggest hero is obviuosly Steve White.
For foreign players the first one was Gerd Muller - still in my mind the best finsiher I've ever seen. The Brazil World Cup 70 side was the best team ever. I also liked Batistuta and Davor Suker and I also had a bit of respect for the French defender Boil who went toe to toe with Psycho and came out better.
TheDukeOfBanbury

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: Thursday, October 21, 2010, 12:40:55 »

I think you have to be quite young to have an idol and like Leefer it was the Don for me. 

He could win any match by scoring from anywhere single handed and he could do this against any team, witness West Ham, Liverpool, Arsenal and so on.

It was no surprise he could do the same in the top league when he eventually joined the Palace.  He missed the first 2 or 3 months but could otherwise have been the player of the season that year.

However his bad hip and relegation for the Palace in spite of Don's best efforts meant that Town enjoyed nearly all of his best days.  Rarely do you see such extravagant talents in so modest an individual.

Kammy was a slightly later hero - enduring monkey chants from Pompey fans whom he had left for the Town on his first game against Pompey and pretty much ending his Town career I think (Reg will correct me) by responding to racist taunts by breaking the Shrew's Jim Melrose's nose at the end of 90 minutes at Gay Meadow .... and picking up an ABH for his trouble. 

In between his sliding tackles were as mesmerising as Hendrix with his guitar  (well maybe not quite)

Chris Kamara was my first Swindon idol. I remember the diving header against Pompey in the late 70's in the 3-1 win (I believe). Coming from a Pompey father I could have taken the "blue" road instead of the "red"
I recall writing "we've got Kamara - STFC" on a wall in Portsmouth and later remember that great diving header.
I also recall the Pompey fans after the game on Swindon Station and my scarf being well hidden whilst boarding the train back home. Now they were some nutters.

As for slide tackling Kammy was a genious.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: