Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: AVG 2011 update causing pc's to crash  (Read 7670 times)
stfcinbmth

« Reply #15 on: Friday, December 3, 2010, 22:33:49 »

Cheers. We originally tried to download Avast but the option for the free version was greyed out?!

Thought maybe as it was a recon (still a half decent HP laptop - Si Pie checked the spec), it may have had an old AntiVirus still lurking on there.

http://download.cnet.com/Avast-Free-Antivirus/3000-2239_4-10019223.html?part=dl-85737&subj=dl&tag=button
Sippo
Living in the 80s

I ain't gettin on no plane fool

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Friday, December 3, 2010, 22:37:05 »

I use AVG on all our teacher laptops, and installed/updated 5 in the last few weeks. Never had an issue. I even updated one yesterday.

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
stfcinbmth

« Reply #17 on: Friday, December 3, 2010, 23:23:19 »

I use AVG on all our teacher laptops, and installed/updated 5 in the last few weeks. Never had an issue. I even updated one yesterday.

This only came to light with regard to one customers problems Sippo, the only thing I did on her machine was upgrade her current AVG to 2011 and the problems started the day after, which is what made me Google it. I'm not saying it applies to every scenario. I have 8.5 on the machine I'm using now, suffice to say I will be removing it rather than upgrading it.

@leefer still no need to be paying for any software now a days, but if you like Norton that's fine, tho I've generally found it creates more problems than it solves
SCM

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday, January 4, 2011, 18:53:55 »

Any way of solving this?

My XP computer just constantly restarts itself without letting me even get to the login screen. Tried running in safe mode etc.
stfcinbmth

« Reply #19 on: Wednesday, January 5, 2011, 07:53:43 »

Any way of solving this?

My XP computer just constantly restarts itself without letting me even get to the login screen. Tried running in safe mode etc.

When did this happen SCM, if it was the last couple of days they have pulled the update now so will be a different problem? You can't get into safe mode?
A linux OS disk will let you access "Programme Files" and rename the AVG folder, and back stuff up to a portable hard drive, otherwise it's a reinstall for you
SCM

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday, January 5, 2011, 17:57:38 »

I press F8 which gets me to the screen with an option to use safe mode, so I select it, Windows appears to load up, then just before the login screen it reboots.

Happens when I choose the other options as well (last known config that worked) etc. Just a constant boot loop.

This all happened about two weeks ago so I was lucky enough to catch the dodgy version just in time. I'll try the Linux thing, but i'm resigned to the fact that i'll probably have to somehow find my XP cd and reinstall everything.

Just a quick question - I presume that i transfer Linux onto a CD-R, is this done by burning or ripping etc?

Cheers for the reply!
« Last Edit: Wednesday, January 5, 2011, 17:59:10 by SCM » Logged
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #21 on: Wednesday, January 5, 2011, 18:12:15 »

Try to disable restart on system failure if you have the option in the BIOS menu. Next time it will boot and should give you the blue screen off death with an error code. That way you may be able to find a solution on the internet a little easier
SCM

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday, January 5, 2011, 18:21:40 »

Done that already mate.

I was getting the code c30002la or something similar, tried researching but there are far more questions than answers.

Then had the idea to remove unnecessary USB drives and rebooted. Now it's just stuck in the loop.

Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #23 on: Wednesday, January 5, 2011, 18:25:48 »

I would try doing a check disk in recovery console and if that doesn't work then do a repair install which often works for me and saves you from losing everything.
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday, January 5, 2011, 18:29:28 »

So is it actually related to AVG or not? If it is, use the recovery console and rename the AVG folder so that it won't be able to load on startup.

If you don't know what's causing it then a repair installation is the best option as Si said.
SCM

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday, January 5, 2011, 19:09:33 »

To get into the recovery console I need the XP cd right?

Pretty sure it's down to AVG, had the problem since it asked me to reset after installing the update.
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #26 on: Wednesday, January 5, 2011, 19:20:10 »

Yes you need the XP cd. You can get a copy from anyone but make sure it is the same version i.e. Home/Professional/x64 edition etc.

If you do a repair install I think you may need to re-enter your license key which is usually on a sticker on the computer.
The_Plagiarist

« Reply #27 on: Wednesday, January 5, 2011, 21:15:00 »

Have you tried rebooting?
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #28 on: Wednesday, January 5, 2011, 21:16:29 »

Have you tried rebooting?

Have you tried a decent joke? Smiley
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: