Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Iphone 4 vs HTC Desire  (Read 4702 times)
Panda Paws

« on: Friday, October 1, 2010, 13:57:54 »

I know both phones, particularly the desire, are covered on this site, so I apologise for starting a new thread but...

I'm due a new phone, and cannot decide between the HTC Desire for free or the Iphone 4 for £140 up front and five pound a month more?

I don't know masses about the HTC, but is the Iphone really worth the difference or should I just get the HTC? I just don't know enough to make a choice at the mo so some succinct info would be appreciated.
Chubbs

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Friday, October 1, 2010, 14:16:18 »

get the desire z
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Friday, October 1, 2010, 14:22:40 »

you rich people , tough choices :-) I like android.  not yet as many applications, slightly less easy to use and not as fashionable.  that's because I'm not an i woman. its not locked to apples closed approach either.

I'm getting the mrs an 80 quid orange san francisco on payg. processor is a bit weak but for that price its a bargain.   
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Friday, October 1, 2010, 14:30:21 »

If you've got a Mac or an iPod then it's a pretty simple choice - get an iPhone.

Otherwise it's a harder decision, I reckon it's worth the extra money but others don't. You've got a far wider selection of apps, it's easier to use, feature wise it comes out top, more storage out of the box (and a 32gb card for the HTC to match the top iPhone isn't cheap) for example.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Friday, October 1, 2010, 14:45:35 »

If you're used to Apple products, you'll probably prefer the iPhone.

If you don't like Apple's walled garden approach (ie we decide how you should use your computer/smartphone/whatever, there is only one way and it's the Jobs way and you don't want to have to hack the thing just to get it to do what you want), go for the Desire

Conversely, if you don't mind being restricted in what you can do/install on it, but like the idea that the trade-off for these restrictions is that Apple can optimise the hell out of the user experience, go for an iPhone.

If you want to make phone calls on it without being told there's a right and a wrong way to hold it, don't go near iPhone 4

If you own any form of polo neck, you should buy an iPhone Smiley
Sussex

« Reply #5 on: Friday, October 1, 2010, 14:55:16 »

I've got a Mac, used to have an iPhone, now have a Desire and want a polo neck for Christmas.

I like Desire, for no other reason (in my opinion - not fact) than that it does all the bits I use most (web/email/stuff) faster.

Don't use it for music and I don't like talking to people so can't comment on those bits.
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Friday, October 1, 2010, 15:18:42 »

If you don't like Apple's walled garden approach (ie we decide how you should use your computer/smartphone/whatever, there is only one way and it's the Jobs way and you don't want to have to hack the thing just to get it to do what you want), go for the Desire.

The walled garden approach isn't always the bad thing you make it out to be. I prefer it as it means there is far less to go wrong and when something does go wrong it's pretty simple for Apple to fix it as they have so much control over it. It's one of the reason Mac's are more stable and reliable than PC's, a controlled environment so less chance of problems with drivers and the like.

Depends what you prefer though. I don't have the time and can't be arsed fucking around with my phone, the iPhone does everything I want with the minimum of fuss. Setting it up is far easier and quicker than Android. Really need to get the latest one though as my 3G is a bit shit now.

pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Friday, October 1, 2010, 15:27:09 »

The walled garden approach isn't always the bad thing you make it out to be. I prefer it as it means there is far less to go wrong and when something does go wrong it's pretty simple for Apple to fix it as they have so much control over it. It's one of the reason Mac's are more stable and reliable than PC's, a controlled environment so less chance of problems with drivers and the like.
Yeah, I covered that in the next point.
Conversely, if you don't mind being restricted in what you can do/install on it, but like the idea that the trade-off for these restrictions is that Apple can optimise the hell out of the user experience, go for an iPhone.
Swings and roundabouts innit?

Depends what you prefer though. I don't have the time and can't be arsed fucking around with my phone
Nor do I, which is why I can't understand why virtually everyone who has an iPhone goes on about how easy it is to use, but then they have to jailbreak it to get it to do what they want.
woolster

« Reply #8 on: Friday, October 1, 2010, 15:31:34 »

my mrs got a HTC wildfire, i got an iphone & must admit i do envy her Cheesy
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Friday, October 1, 2010, 15:36:44 »

I think what it boils down to PandaPaws is that there isn't actually an answer to the question. They're both extremely capable phones, each with their strong points, each have points that some will really like while others will regard those same points as a weakness. Go into Carphone Warehouse or somewhere with a "script" of all the things you're likely to use the phone for and try them out.
Barry Scott

« Reply #10 on: Friday, October 1, 2010, 15:41:13 »

You know what I want? A phone that is actually a phone. A phone that I talk with and might send a text with on occasion. No ringtones, no bluetooth, no internet, no email, no games, no camera, no storage, etc., etc.

I would also like massive battery life, which must be easy if you can get 1 month out of a Kindle and a day out of a smart phone. Soon an enterprising individual will make a stylish phone straight out of the Flip mould. It'll work, the battery will last for a week, it'll be simple and then I can stop being forced into using these over-featurized entertainment centres. Smiley
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Friday, October 1, 2010, 15:46:51 »

Nor do I, which is why I can't understand why virtually everyone who has an iPhone goes on about how easy it is to use, but then they have to jailbreak it to get it to do what they want.

Mine isn't jail broken and I haven't seen a single good reason to do it, other than to use pirated apps.

What are all these functions that you can only do via a jail break?
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Friday, October 1, 2010, 16:24:30 »

Mine isn't jail broken and I haven't seen a single good reason to do it, other than to use pirated apps.

What are all these functions that you can only do via a jail break?
No idea, I don't have an iPhone. Why don't you ask all the other iPhone users on here, pretty much all of them seem to have jail broken their phones, every time there's a new ios release thread, it's full of how do you jailbreak it?
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Friday, October 1, 2010, 16:31:49 »

You know what I want? A phone that is actually a phone. A phone that I talk with and might send a text with on occasion.
That's just crazy talk Smiley
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Friday, October 1, 2010, 17:01:27 »

No idea, I don't have an iPhone. Why don't you ask all the other iPhone users on here, pretty much all of them seem to have jail broken their phones, every time there's a new ios release thread, it's full of how do you jailbreak it?

They only do it so they can run pirated apps. It's got very little to do with extra functionality they can't get otherwise.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to: