Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: ......hmmm...  (Read 14448 times)
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« on: Wednesday, September 1, 2010, 12:09:52 »

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Life-Game-Inches-Christian-Roberts/dp/190409144X
Crispy
Pink Jumper For Goalpost

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday, September 1, 2010, 12:14:54 »

Eek Legend, gonna be buying this.

Edit: Wont we sell it in the shop?

They've got muslamic rayguns, muslamic rayguns..
Crispy
Pink Jumper For Goalpost

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday, September 1, 2010, 12:16:31 »

Product Description
Life is a Game of Inches is the rollercoaster account of Cardiff City, Exeter City, Bristol City and Swindon Town footballer Christian Roberts. Amongst the glory of getting called up for Wales and delighting fans with his skills came the misery of alcohol addiction, gambling, losing a daughter and falling out with a succession of managers and players. Christian blows the lid off the sanctuary of the dressing room with tales of fighting, debauchery and drinking competitions. He also recalls the times he played whilst drunk and how on international duty Welsh manager, Mark Hughes, caught him legless behind a bar. Christian's alcoholism also ripped apart his family. He speaks frankly of leaving his 7-year old son sobbing on the sofa, with a broken leg, so that he could go to the pub and of throwing a pint glass at his wife when she desperately tried to stop him drinking. Ultimately Christian's alcoholism left him on the brink of losing his career, money, family and even his life. But after checking into the Sporting Chance clinic he seemed to turn his life around and was back playing the best football of his career under manager, Dennis Wise, at Swindon Town. Unfortunately, just as his life was back on track; a knee injury forced Christian to retire at the age of 28 and then tragically his Dad died of cancer. These events conspired to lead Christian on a gambling spree that would see him lose every penny he had earned and would also lead to his marriage falling apart. Having lost everything Christian moved back to the council estate where he grew up to face his new life single, jobless and broke. However, Christian did not lose heart and he threw himself into helping his community and working on the anti-racism campaign and is now happier than ever having left the bubble of living as a professional footballer.

They've got muslamic rayguns, muslamic rayguns..
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday, September 1, 2010, 12:21:15 »

These events conspired to lead Christian on a gambling spree that would see him lose every penny he had earned and would also lead to his marriage falling apart. Having lost everything Christian moved back to the council estate where he grew up to face his new life single, jobless and broke.

Blimey, alcoholic, gambler, broken family. Not nice.

I guess some will say he brought it on himself, which is fair enough.
Luci

Fatbury's Stalker

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday, September 1, 2010, 12:27:25 »

hmmmm moreso... http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/606/A73714232
STFC_Gazza

« Reply #5 on: Wednesday, September 1, 2010, 12:31:20 »

I wasted enough money watching Roberts play (if he could be bothered) as a player. I have no interest at all in seeing how his life fell apart in a book which is clearly only being written to make some money back. He brought it on himself. I feel more sorry for his family and his kids than him. Call me harsh but.....
Benzel

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday, September 1, 2010, 12:31:31 »

I might get this. Robbo won me over in the end. I bloody well despised him to begin with, I don't think I've disliked a player in the same manner I did him.

Is your cat making too much noise all the time?
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday, September 1, 2010, 12:31:59 »

I would tell you that ive recently written former Swindon Town player, Christian Roberts', autobiography

Erm, that would be a biography then. Cheat, cheat, cheat.

Of course what stars really write thier own 'autobiography'.
Bennett
No Comment

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday, September 1, 2010, 12:38:48 »

I wasted enough money watching Roberts play (if he could be bothered) as a player. I have no interest at all in seeing how his life fell apart in a book which is clearly only being written to make some money back. He brought it on himself. I feel more sorry for his family and his kids than him. Call me harsh but.....
considering you're the local soppy internet bitch that's a pretty harsh view mate

This is the water.
And this is the well.
Drink full and descend.
The horse is the white of the eyes and dark within.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday, September 1, 2010, 12:39:40 »

Christians story discusses the highs and lows of playing under Andy King, Iffy Onoura, Dennis Wise and Gus Poyet and Paul Sturrock and Maurice Malpas. Christian frankly talks about playing whilst drunk under Andy Kings hard drinking regime, how Iffy Onoura saved his life, how Dennis Wise was the best manager he ever played for and how Maurice Malpas was the worst. The book is one of the most honest autobiographies around as Christian opens up about his horrendous addiction to alcohol and how since he retired he has managed to turn his life around. If you want to read a real warts and all story about life as a professional footballer this is it!

Did Roberts play under Malpas?

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Dozno9

« Reply #10 on: Wednesday, September 1, 2010, 12:42:06 »

a book which is clearly only being written to make some money back.

Someone writing a book to make money... money grabbing arses.
Dr Pierre Chang
ITK Curran lover

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday, September 1, 2010, 12:43:29 »

I think he played under him at the start of the 07/08 season from what I remember, scored a cracking goal at Swansea.
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #12 on: Wednesday, September 1, 2010, 12:44:44 »

I wouldn't buy it because I'm a Swindon fan or due to my like/dislike of Roberts but it could be an interesting insight into things off the pitch.

I genuinely didn't know he blew all his money after recovering from alcoholism. It's obvious the guy is a bit of a twat, but probably someone interesting to read about.
Power to people

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday, September 1, 2010, 12:54:41 »

Sounds like an interesting read, may just buy a copy - I wonder if he will be doing a book signing at the CG - probably sell a few more copies
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday, September 1, 2010, 12:55:48 »

Erm, that would be a biography then. Cheat, cheat, cheat.

Of course what stars really write thier own 'autobiography'.

Micky Foley (who most of you have never heard of anyway) wrote all 3 of his autobiographies, the first one by free hand whilst on the road!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Up
Print
Jump to: