Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 [7]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Morals  (Read 9723 times)
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #90 on: Wednesday, September 1, 2010, 11:17:51 »

If you would excuse me, what's the theory?
Highland Robin

« Reply #91 on: Wednesday, September 1, 2010, 14:14:57 »

I don't think the theory (if that is what it is) holds water.  The truth is that humans utilise violence against one another in order to achieve their aims.  At various times through history, philosophies have appeared which challenge that as unworthy of human potential.  The original teachings of christianity (so far as we can access them) are one of those moments.  The Renaissance was another.  the Enlightenment, possibly, another.  But the battle of ideas has never been won in the dirty reality of human existence.  (Read John Gray's books - Straw Dogs, Al Quaida and What It Means to be Human and others for a devastating description of the human condition.)  Sadly, religious institutions have been as human as any other, and individual adherents of virtually all faiths have not been persuaded by the teachings of their faith.
I am a person of faith, and I feel humiliated by the attitudes and actions of the religious institution to which I belong, very often for their inhumanity and their compromise.  But I cannot pin the ills of the world on them or their forbears, rather than on anyone else.   It is I fear part of what it is to be human.  We can hope, we can hold on to ideals, but at the end of the day, humanity has not moved on a lot since Day 1.
Spy

Ignore
« Reply #92 on: Wednesday, September 1, 2010, 16:26:07 »

I basically agree with what you've said.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 [7]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: