Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: GCSE/Exam Results  (Read 12296 times)
König

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: Monday, August 23, 2010, 22:01:38 »

At the moment, if you have a uni place take it. In the current climate its a good time to go to uni, but a very bad time to try and find substantial work. In three years the climate should be growing and recovering, and it should be a good place to graduate into.

Not only that, but uni is the best three years of your life, so long as you enjoy the course and the occupations it is preparing you for. But do it for you, not your parents or anyone else. I went to Bristol to study Aeronautical Engineering because, basically, my parents and college tutors wanted me to, but I soon quit and went elsewhere to study what I love and what I want to do for the rest of my life, loved every second of it and came out with a first class degree

thats how i feel, that its my parents wanting me to go etc, theres doubt in my mind because i'm not sure if i really want to go but then if i didn't theres nothing else i'd really want to do, apart from get the hell out of here haha. i've often wondered if it would be possible to get around europe or somewhere working as i go, i might find somethign along the way that i really want to do that way soapy tit wank. also, how easy was it to change your uni and course, was it in the same year that u started?
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: Monday, August 23, 2010, 22:05:13 »

Why not do the travelling for a year now, and go uni next year?

Things get better but they never get good
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #47 on: Monday, August 23, 2010, 22:08:32 »

I know just as many people who have done well for themselves by looking for and seizing an opportunity and have not gone down the usual academic routes to get there. The key is putting in the effort to find it.
Just try and have a fair idea of where you want to be a little way down the line. If you're not sure then things like college and uni are a good option because it gradually eases you into having additional responsibilities and gives you time to explore different options and make up your mind. Just be mindful that one day you'll have some decisions to make but that you don't have to always stick with the first thing you do.

If you do have a fair idea already, explore the jobs market and see what employers are looking for. You may find you need to go get certain experiences or qualifications first or it may not be the case. I didn't have to go to uni to get the qualification I have now but it probably made it slightly easier. College was a must in my case but I didn't start thinking about jobs until I was a year into college. I'd done a couple of part time jobs whilst there and I certainly knew I didn't want to be working in a shop etc. for the rest of my life, so experiences like that help too.

On the going to university issue (doesn't relate to Crispy as of now), don't let people put you off regarding the debt issue. Aside from the student loan I took out (which really isn't going to burden you once you leave), I only racked up £2000 of debt in 3 years. Realistically if I wasn't hell bent on having a good time I could have easily worked that off by doing a part time job for a year and being more careful.

On the flip side to Tails' scenario - when I left education I was earning just over £14k a year. My mates took the piss because they were a few grand more yet hadn't done anymore studies. They didn't seem to realise my potential earnings would trounce their's. But I didn't do it for bragging rights, it's all about personal ambition and where you want to be. I'd probably be happier doing some geeky IT job on far less money in reality.

However it goes and whatever you choose, good luck.
chalkies_shorts

« Reply #48 on: Monday, August 23, 2010, 22:20:39 »

Why not earn a wage and do the Open University - thier courses are excellent
Rich Pullen

« Reply #49 on: Tuesday, August 24, 2010, 07:14:26 »

Good luck young TEF'ers today.
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: Tuesday, August 24, 2010, 09:35:14 »

thats how i feel, that its my parents wanting me to go etc, theres doubt in my mind because i'm not sure if i really want to go but then if i didn't theres nothing else i'd really want to do, apart from get the hell out of here haha. i've often wondered if it would be possible to get around europe or somewhere working as i go, i might find somethign along the way that i really want to do that way soapy tit wank. also, how easy was it to change your uni and course, was it in the same year that u started?
Travel. You won't regret it.

Don't worry about language barriers, my girlfriend worked for 6 months in Guatemala and she didn't speak a word of Spanish when she arrived, nor did the locals speak any English (or Norwegian for that matter).

Saxondale

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: Tuesday, August 24, 2010, 09:49:34 »

Im sure this has been said already an I dont want to sound like an old fuck but remeber theres plenty of time.  I fucked up o levels, got 2 u's at A level and went out to work.  I went back and did other qualifications and ended up going to uni at 24.  I got my degree but even then it was pretty irrelevent to what Ive ended up doing.  It bought me the time to find out what I actually wanted to do.

Fucking up at school was probably the best thing I could have done in the long run as I now have a life and a job I love.

Never knowingly overstated.
TownLoyal

« Reply #52 on: Tuesday, August 24, 2010, 17:21:19 »

Why not earn a wage and do the Open University - thier courses are excellent

Except earning a wage, that's the route i've just taken. Just reserved my place on a "Technology of music" course, my mothers doing a law course and said its really good. Is a good way to go and as said, can earn a wage at the same time.
ron dodgers

shaddap your face

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: Tuesday, August 24, 2010, 17:39:03 »

didn't have to show me degree certificate - they checked up on it and that trumps the rest of the jissom I got. IT is a great career - piss easy and you get plenty of money
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: Tuesday, August 24, 2010, 17:45:15 »

On the flip side to Tails' scenario - when I left education I was earning just over £14k a year. My mates took the piss because they were a few grand more yet hadn't done anymore studies. They didn't seem to realise my potential earnings would trounce their's. But I didn't do it for bragging rights, it's all about personal ambition and where you want to be. I'd probably be happier doing some geeky IT job on far less money in reality.

For a school leaver today wanting to work in IT I reckon university isn't the best option any more. Just get any IT job you can, preferably within a big company, then start studying for certifications in your spare time. Start with the basic ones in the field you want to get in to, when you've got them you should be able to get a relevant job (if you haven't already).

By the time you're 21 you'll have certifications equivalent to a degree plus 5 years experience and you'll be earning very decent money.
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: Tuesday, August 24, 2010, 18:01:13 »

It's not easy getting entry level jobs in IT companies atm, especially without the appropriate experience or qualification(s). Not saying it's impossible but it's a lot tougher than it was two or three years ago... in my personal experience at least.
Luci

Fatbury's Stalker

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: Tuesday, August 24, 2010, 18:17:50 »

I didn't go to Uni, saved up and went travelling instead. The experience I got out of that was incredible but admittedly not for everyone.

I now have a good job in the City and career path ahead so no regrets!

Don't write uni off though, there's some great courses out there.

LucienSanchez

Is this hospital called St. Croc of Shit?!

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: Tuesday, August 24, 2010, 18:24:10 »

didn't have to show me degree certificate - they checked up on it and that trumps the rest of the jissom I got. IT is a great career - piss easy and you get plenty of money

True... but for some reason i'm jacking it in!

We made a promise we swore we'd always remember... no retreat, baby, no surrender
joteddyred

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: Tuesday, August 24, 2010, 18:49:32 »

I got good GCSE results and then good college qualifications and my dad especially was really disappointed that I didn't want to go to University, but I had no desire to.  Although I had a number of qualifications,  I didn't really know what I wanted to do.  Struggled to find a job, temped in call centres and then ended up doing secretarial work for a number of years.  I came out of that about 5 years ago and moved into an admin role in the project environment, where I have now manged to move up the ladder several times and subsequently now have a job that I enjoy and pays bloody well.  However, it's taken me to be 35 to get to that stage and from taking a job opportunity that I so nearly missed!

I don't regret not going to Uni, but what I do regret is not travelling a bit when I still lived at home and was child free!  I've had some lovely holidays, but it's not quite the same and if I could turn the clock back 17 years, I would definitely go and see a bit more of the world.
Fred Elliot
I REST MY FUCKING CASE

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: Tuesday, August 24, 2010, 18:51:41 »

Where is Crispy ?

Has he gone on an all day bender ?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8   Go Up
Print
Jump to: