Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Digital Camera Help  (Read 6060 times)
Chubbs

Ignore
« on: Tuesday, August 17, 2010, 08:38:15 »

Looking at purchasing a new Digital Camera

any suggestions, dont really wanna spend more that £100 is possible
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, August 17, 2010, 09:41:22 »

Basically buy one with the most amount of MegaPixels as possible......dont worry about digital zoom......buy the most amount of optical zoom you can and buy the best make as they use the best quality lenses.

E.g. A Panasonic or Nikon 8 megapixel will be a better buy than a 12 megapixel Sanyo or Casio...etc

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, August 17, 2010, 10:30:05 »

Whats the criteria chubbs? Are you looking for something small you can chuck in the pocket, or something more bulky with a bigger zoom or what?

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, August 17, 2010, 10:40:52 »

if you aint signed up already,i suggest you join avforums and post the above question.
yeo

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, August 17, 2010, 11:59:54 »

A quick shutter speed is more important than megapixels,cheap digital cameras seem to take ages to take a picture meaning you miss "the moment" and invarioubly catch a moment 1/2 a second later which isnt the picture you are trying to take.

/
W56196272

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday, August 17, 2010, 12:04:36 »

A quick shutter speed is more important than megapixels,cheap digital cameras seem to take ages to take a picture meaning you miss "the moment" and invarioubly catch a moment 1/2 a second later which isnt the picture you are trying to take.

this is the only gripe with my camera.decent enough and takes quality images, but is useless for action or spur of the moment shots.
Chubbs

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday, August 17, 2010, 12:22:46 »

im after something small, pocket sized.

any brands i should aviod? or look out for
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday, August 17, 2010, 12:32:15 »

Unfortunately not an expert in these matters Chubbs, thought I'd seen a good bargain on one of the bargain sights but I can't find it now.

I've had a couple of canon Ixus models and they have been generally good, and also a Panasonic,  also OK. I find neither performed that well in low light conditions, which is fairly common for digital cameras. Also hear good things about some of the Olympus Mu and Fuji finepix ranges. Problem is there can be good and bad models from the same manufactureres. And without using any of them its had to know!

If you can't find an expert opinion then this site usually has a fairly in depth revirew of most popular models:

http://www.dpreview.com

edit : aha here it was, looks like Newbury is closest with stock though ::

http://www.jessops.com/online.store/products/75899/show.html

NO in depth DPR review, seems OK but there may be better about...
« Last Edit: Tuesday, August 17, 2010, 12:38:06 by Batch » Logged
Gethimout

« Reply #8 on: Wednesday, August 18, 2010, 16:18:03 »

Chubbs,

Look out for canons! They're always pretty decent.

If you go for the previous model year also, you'll save yourself a shit load!

I've got a canon IXUS. Very good!
stfc11

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday, August 18, 2010, 17:16:10 »

I got a Fuji the other month. Had a quick look around and found this one in Comet

http://www.comet.co.uk/shopcomet/product/617350/FUJIFILM-FINEPIX-JV110?cm_sp=FeatureEnd-_-Digital_Cameras-_-position

Good price, 3x optical zoom and a rechargable battery which is one of the things I wish i'd got otherwise you're fiddling around with batteries and trying to find ones that last a decent amount of time! If it's like mine then it should have about 25 menu's including sport which will give you a quick shutter speed.
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday, August 18, 2010, 19:48:50 »

if you aint signed up already,i suggest you join avforums and post the above question.

For most people AVForums is the worst possible place to go for advice. If you say you've got £100 to spend they'll tell you to spend £150 to get something better as it's well worth the extra, then when you say you've upped your budget to £150 they tell you to spend £200 and so on. The bigger problem is most of them are far too anal and go on about brand a being superior to brand b when in reality unless you've got perfect senses you can't tell them apart.

I always check out the reviews on Amazon as they're written by people looking for the same thing as me with the same quality requirements. Look for something with a lot of reviews and mainly 4 or 5 stars and you can't go wrong. The prices at Amazon are normally pretty good plus they won't fuck you about if there is a problem with something you buy from them.

I just had a quick check and they've got a Sony DSCW320B at £110 with good reviews, which appears to be a later version of the one Batch suggested at £100 with Jessops. Amazon have a number around the £100 mark with lots of good reviews.
pumbaa
Ha, no cunt in my title anymore. Oh.....

Fartmeister

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday, August 18, 2010, 20:05:44 »

Right, you aren't going to get a top quality camera for £100, so long as you're comfortable with that knowledge, that's OK.

Don't hyperventilate over the number of megapixels, there are only so many that manufacturers can shoe-horn into sensors that small. 10 MP is plenty.

Stick to well renowned brands - Canon, Nikon, Sony, Fuji and Panasonic all get decent reviews for their P&S cameras. Thats because they make quality glass as well, which IMO is far more important than the number of MP. Steer clear of electrical manufacturers making cameras (i.e. Samsung, Casio etc.).

Don't buy any cheap shit from Aldi or Lidl.

Just to prove my point, I have a Panasonic TZ7, £250 when released new, takes absolutely fucking shit pictures indoors and in low light.
jimbob

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday, August 18, 2010, 21:02:19 »

within your budget, Which Magazine suggest Canon PowerShot A470 @ 71% (top is 78% so not bad)

if you can stretch your budget further, this comes in at 73% - Canon - Digital Ixus 80 IS

Talk Talk

« Reply #13 on: Wednesday, August 18, 2010, 21:07:05 »

Buy one that takes proper film. You can get second hand really high end cameras on eBay for a pittance now and you can still get films processed at Wal-Mart and also put on CDs in jpeg format.

You know you want to be retro really, don't you?
jutty274

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday, August 18, 2010, 21:07:45 »

Currys & argos are clearing out the cameras from last season and have some good deals at the moment. I have just brought one of the Samsung ones with the screen on the front( which i haven't had a chance to use properly yet) i paid £169 but they had reduced that by about £30 in currys.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to: