Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Duke's two year contract offer....  (Read 1556 times)
Dazzza

« on: Saturday, June 18, 2005, 20:12:03 »

Reportedly due to be turned down this weekend but what a strange decision to offer out of all the out of contract players Duke a two year deal.

I wonder if it's revised from a one year deal or based on clauses similar to what he had a couple of seasons back.

Strikes me as strange why others where not offered two years even if the wages meant it made little odds regardless.

Glad the whole thing is drawing to a lose now.  Igoe looks a cert to depart so it's a complete re-building job for KIng.  Taken far to long to sort out and with hindsight the club would have been far better just sticking to a deadline then withdrawing the offers so that King can plan what he needs to bring in.

Sandy Gray looks to be on a steep learning curve this season, just hope that she picks up on whats happened for the future as these sort of decisions can be make or break in our situation.

Next season I hope she does a Delia.

kick_ass1987

« Reply #1 on: Saturday, June 18, 2005, 21:32:48 »

Well i was wasnt one of dukes boo boys, because he is a swindon player, and that should be a good enough reason not to put him down, but he was very poor towards the 2nd half of the seaon, and im not sad to see him go.... hopefully he will be replaced by someone with a stronger tackle and more determination!!
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Sunday, June 19, 2005, 00:32:18 »

Personally think that she and the club are doing a good job. It was obvious last year that the players that we had either weren't up to the job or weren't committed.

So, what do you do, pay them lots of money and run the risk of them not trying again or try to replace the ? The answer is to replace them.

So, what do you do if you haven't got much money ? Do you spend more than you've got or do you live within your means ? The answer is obvious.

I think that we are assembling a much better team than we had last year. We are getting rid of the bad apples without hurting the club financially and leaving behind people who want to play for the club.

I don't think that Parkin going would be the end of the world either. Without him then other players will have to be given a chance and will have to step up to the mark.

NMH

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
unclemark

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Sunday, June 19, 2005, 09:32:32 »

Maybe Roberts could play as an attacking midfielder with Caton anf Fallon up front.  Roberts is a great playmaker, but his finishing is not that great.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Sunday, June 19, 2005, 09:42:31 »

Quote from: "nozza"
Maybe Roberts could play as an attacking midfielder with Caton anf Fallon up front.  Roberts is a great playmaker, but his finishing is not that great.

At the AGM.....Iffy stated that Caton isn't ready yet.....Roberts says the position he'd most like to play is in the hole behind a front 2....maybe we could play 4-4-1-1.....potentially our defence looks OK, trying to be hard to beat would be a good start towards 52 points.
unclemark

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Sunday, June 19, 2005, 09:46:14 »

If we get  holding midfielder we could play a 4-1-4-1 like David Moyes at Everton.  He won manager of the season and his team were expected to avoid relegation , yet they finished 4th and qualified for Europe.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Sunday, June 19, 2005, 10:05:52 »

we'll miss Duke, just you wait and see....
stfc11

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Sunday, June 19, 2005, 10:21:09 »

yeah i think we will too
adje

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Sunday, June 19, 2005, 13:54:38 »

I wish Igoe would just piss off

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
walrus

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Sunday, June 19, 2005, 14:04:51 »

Look what happened at the beginning of 03/04 season.  A complete rebuild saw Kingy bring in some good players so keep the faith lads.

Suggestions of starting Caton are ludicrous as the lad just doesn't seem ready, and what team has ever been successful playing 17/18 year olds unless they are supremely talented i.e.: Rooney?

Roberts and Fallon is a nice partnership up front, and Igoe and Duke have tended to be very much confidence players and have been found lacking.  Igoe hasn't scored enough goals, although the freekick at home to Bradford was a cracker, and Duke has suffered from never really having a proper position in the team.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Sunday, June 19, 2005, 14:34:59 »

Quote from: "Walrus"
Look what happened at the beginning of 03/04 season.  A complete rebuild saw Kingy bring in some good players so keep the faith lads.

You have to think though, how many were already brought in by around this stage that season.

Plus think of how much the wage budget has been slashed in the last two years since then...
Ben Wah Balls

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Sunday, June 19, 2005, 14:51:03 »

Well the answer is not many had been brought in at this stage.

Evans, Howard and Mooney were all signed mid july. Smith, Igoe and Nicholas didn't officially join until the first of July and Smith and Viveash didn't agree thier moves like Shakes has done until late June. So I think the only players we had agreed to sign were Jon Stevenson and Nicholas at this point and they hadn't signed officially.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: