Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Amazon Kindle  (Read 17836 times)
Barry Scott

« Reply #30 on: Thursday, September 30, 2010, 22:25:44 »

I was sceptical but given the price and decent reviews I may get one for my mums birthday.

How easy is it to download and buy books from the kindle? My mum can get the hang of things on computers but is often slow at doing so. Also newspapers are mentioned, are all the daily nationals available?

Downloading books is very easy, paid ones that is anyway. You press the menu button, select shop in kindle store, then either search or browse. If you have Amazon 1 touch ordering on, then you then press buy and it appears on your Kindle in seconds (depending on whether you're using 3G or wifi). The whole process takes about 3 clicks and a minute or so.

The other impressive thing is you email [account name]@free.kindle.com with the subject line convert (obviously from a computer), then within a minute you have a document converted to native format and on the Kindle. If you leave the subject line blank it transfers it as is. Again, both wifi permitting. If you have no wifi the same thing can be done (with the 3G version), but the email is [account name]@kindle.com and you get charged 10p or something.

With regard to newspapers and magazines there's quite a few, but as I don't read them I can only go by the ads I've noticed and most seem £9.99 a month and some are £1 for first 30 days and some are free for 14 days and the like.

One thing I would say though, is although it supports pdfs, using pdfs directly is a pain and it's simpler and less painless to convert using the amazon service or Calibre.

I bought the 3G one, but given the higher price I now think it's not really required unless you truly want stuff NOW and you have no wifi.

After living with it for but a few days, I absolutely love it though. I've got about 20 books on it and love going between them and the way it always resumes from where you were. I also like the way you move the cursor next to any word (apart from short simple words) and it gives you a dictionary definition automatically in a subtle pop-up. If you also start typing somewhere on screen you can leave the quivilent of margin notes and even browse these like contents or something.

It's by no means the most technologically advanced piece of equipment out there, but god it does simplicity and function well. I also still find myself impressed by the screen even after hours of use!
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #31 on: Friday, October 1, 2010, 00:09:42 »

Yeah I'd get the wi-fi one. Thanks for the info, very useful. Having looked at youtube vids and feedback on here I think she'd get on well with it. Now to buy it before they sell out for Christmas.
Ginginho

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday, October 6, 2010, 12:04:55 »

Are you still loving the Kindle, Barry?

I'm sorely tempted to get this for my birthday next month.

I probably won't take it out of the house much, if at all, so would I be better off just getting the normal one instead of 3G wi-fi as it's £50 cheaper?
Barry Scott

« Reply #33 on: Wednesday, October 6, 2010, 12:37:50 »

Are you still loving the Kindle, Barry?

I'm sorely tempted to get this for my birthday next month.

I probably won't take it out of the house much, if at all, so would I be better off just getting the normal one instead of 3G wi-fi as it's £50 cheaper?

Very much. If you like reading it's almost a must have. I've used it everyday since I got it. I have only 2 criticisms: one is that some of the markings on some of the buttons appear to be coming off, but that's quite minor really. The other criticism would also be document support, although that's me being very picky, because it's only when converting them from mainly pdf, and it leaves headers, footers and page numbers in the converted docs, which I find annoying. It would also be nice to have a desktop converter because I can't email 100mb+ pdfs and I'm not in love with Calibre's converter.

It's £40 cheaper for no 3G (£109) and it's really not that necessary.
LucienSanchez

Is this hospital called St. Croc of Shit?!

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday, October 6, 2010, 14:01:17 »

Kindle editions = no page numbers = not really helping me with my degree. Oops.

We made a promise we swore we'd always remember... no retreat, baby, no surrender
Ginginho

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday, October 6, 2010, 14:21:45 »

I read enough articles, reviews and advice to know that I want one now, can't wait Cheesy
Barry Scott

« Reply #36 on: Tuesday, August 19, 2014, 22:31:33 »

Bumping this as it appears my long suffering near 4 year old Kindle mentioned earlier in the thread is getting a kind of screenburn.

Has anyone tried both the Paperwhite and the basic £59 kindle? I use the keyboard on my current one, so imagine the cheap one to be a pain, but is it worth the extra £50?
PetsWinPrizes

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: Tuesday, August 19, 2014, 22:40:08 »

Left my old original on a bus last year, got a paper white, love it. Being able to read in dark without a light is worth the extra cash alone I'd say
Barry Scott

« Reply #38 on: Tuesday, August 19, 2014, 22:57:49 »

Cheers, I do kind of want it, but I'm both a cheap cunt and suffer from buyers remorse when cheaper and equally capable stuff is available.

I'll sit on this for a week. And page 1 of this thread is cool.
jutty274

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: Wednesday, August 20, 2014, 03:51:08 »

I have had mine for nearly 3 years now & still love it, I can't see the point of the 3g one, as if you need to download books do it over WiFi. I have the basic version so I have no keyboard but then I always search my books on my laptop and download them with amazon one click buying. The only real downside is that the battery does drain quickly if you leave it for long period without using it, I know that sounds stupid but the picture that is on the screen does drain the battery.
The good points far out weigh any bad points, having suffered from insomnia I found that reading the kindle really helped me, as I would fall asleep while reading it & it never lost my page, it even knows when you leave your finger on the next page button & returns you to the page you were on.
kerry red

« Reply #40 on: Wednesday, August 20, 2014, 04:35:56 »

You can get Kindle Apps for different tablets.

I've just got a new Samsung tablet and downloaded the Kindle For Samsung App for free
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: Wednesday, August 20, 2014, 06:24:41 »

I know that sounds stupid but the picture that is on the screen does drain the battery.

It does sound stupid and it doesn't drain the battery. It's magnetic ink, the same way that an etch-a-sketch maintains a picture without a battery.

The battery will just naturally discharge itself if you don't use it for a long period.
Barry Scott

« Reply #42 on: Saturday, August 23, 2014, 16:00:20 »

Got a new screen on eBay for £40. Didn't even know you could get replacement screens.
Power to people

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: Wednesday, September 3, 2014, 13:09:30 »

Got 2 kindles the old type and a paper white for the wife and between us we have probably read about 1/2 a book each, had the original about 18 months keep saying I'm going to get back into reading and end up doing something else, maybe one day I'll get into reading books again, not sure why the wife has got one as she rarely reads books anyway
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: Wednesday, September 3, 2014, 13:15:46 »

I don't own one, and I've never used one. Am I missing out?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
Print
Jump to: