Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Amazon Kindle  (Read 17835 times)
Spy

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday, August 18, 2010, 23:51:05 »

Assumedly once someone somewhere has bought the books from Amazon they can share them in the same way as with MP3s.
manc red

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Thursday, August 19, 2010, 20:24:20 »

you can transfer word docs, pdfs and a few other file types to them.

ive pre - ordered one.  see what its like when it turns up.
Barry Scott

« Reply #17 on: Tuesday, September 28, 2010, 17:08:49 »

I took delivery of my Kindle today and must say I'm incredibly impressed. To say it is like looking at a sheet of paper is not far wide of the mark. It looks like superb quality print out on a laser printer behind a thin piece of plastic. It really does.

When you first remove it from the box it comes covered with a sheet of clear plastic with some writing on. You then remove the plastic and realise it has no writing on it and the device is actually turned on! (The battery also lasts for 1 month, which is amazing. That's a month of use - as long as wifi is off.)

And to set the record straight, the iPad is not an alternative to this. The iPad is like looking at a computer screen and this is like reading a book. Really. I fucking love it. Smiley
LucienSanchez

Is this hospital called St. Croc of Shit?!

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday, September 28, 2010, 17:55:31 »

Mine got delivered yesterday... need to pick it up next time i'm back from uni. Looking forward to trying it out and getting all my stupid History eBooks on it.

We made a promise we swore we'd always remember... no retreat, baby, no surrender
manc red

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday, September 28, 2010, 18:47:19 »

had mine for about 3 weeks now.  loads of free classics available which is ace.  really is just like reading a book, from the screen quality point of view.

not tried downloading newspapers yet though
Barry Scott

« Reply #20 on: Wednesday, September 29, 2010, 08:18:14 »

Have you got Calibre http://calibre-ebook.com/ manc red? Just started using that and it seems quite good. Although I think converting in Fine Reader from pdf might be better, but haven't tried that yet.
manc red

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: Thursday, September 30, 2010, 18:29:26 »

To be honest Barry i haven't tried.  Just been downloading and creating folders on the Kindle.

Not really got enough books to worry about it yet
Lumps

« Reply #22 on: Thursday, September 30, 2010, 18:33:29 »

I took delivery of my Kindle today and must say I'm incredibly impressed. To say it is like looking at a sheet of paper is not far wide of the mark. It looks like superb quality print out on a laser printer behind a thin piece of plastic. It really does.

When you first remove it from the box it comes covered with a sheet of clear plastic with some writing on. You then remove the plastic and realise it has no writing on it and the device is actually turned on! (The battery also lasts for 1 month, which is amazing. That's a month of use - as long as wifi is off.)

And to set the record straight, the iPad is not an alternative to this. The iPad is like looking at a computer screen and this is like reading a book. Really. I fucking love it. Smiley

FUCK! I want one now! Can't you post again saying it's a pile of old shite?
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #23 on: Thursday, September 30, 2010, 19:02:48 »

I was sceptical but given the price and decent reviews I may get one for my mums birthday.

How easy is it to download and buy books from the kindle? My mum can get the hang of things on computers but is often slow at doing so. Also newspapers are mentioned, are all the daily nationals available?

lambourn red

« Reply #24 on: Thursday, September 30, 2010, 21:07:42 »

I was sceptical but given the price and decent reviews I may get one for my mums birthday.

How easy is it to download and buy books from the kindle? My mum can get the hang of things on computers but is often slow at doing so. Also newspapers are mentioned, are all the daily nationals available?

There is a free Kindle Android app which I use on the Desire which I would imagine looks and works very similar to the real thing apart from the size obviously.
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #25 on: Thursday, September 30, 2010, 21:26:57 »

Yeah I have that. Given it's an app for Android I think the layout etc. may be a lot different. I may have to have a look on youtube for a walkthrough review or similar.
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: Thursday, September 30, 2010, 21:36:41 »

There is a free Kindle Android app which I use on the Desire which I would imagine looks and works very similar to the real thing apart from the size obviously.

It won't look anything like similar. The main thing with the Kindle is the screen which is designed to resemble paper, the screen on the Desire and other phones is totally different.
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #27 on: Thursday, September 30, 2010, 22:03:47 »

I'm more concerned with the interface i.e. how easy it is to download books and possibly newspapers.
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: Thursday, September 30, 2010, 22:08:35 »

You download directly on to the Kindle don't you? No PC needed.
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #29 on: Thursday, September 30, 2010, 22:12:33 »

Yes but it's completely different to how the store looks on the Desire. I youtubed it and found the answer out. As simple as pressing menu and selecting the store.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
Print
Jump to: