Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Amazon Kindle  (Read 17872 times)
manc red

Ignore
« on: Sunday, August 8, 2010, 17:55:20 »

Just seen they have launched a new smaller cheaper version which has a UK site / store.

Does anyone have any experience / opinions of these?

I commute to work on a train for 2 hours each day and would seem like an ideal way to kill some time.  Are they worth the money or should i continue to buy 'real' books and newspapers?
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Thursday, August 12, 2010, 14:59:53 »

Even more pointless than the iPad IMO
leefer

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Thursday, August 12, 2010, 15:47:21 »

Saw the headline and thaught the rain forest was being cut down again for firewood.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Thursday, August 12, 2010, 16:09:03 »

I can see the point in a Kindle. Looks a little pricey for what it is, but I can see that its easier to download books onto it than buy lots to forever hoared on a bookshelf.

Not seen one in the flesh though.
LucienSanchez

Is this hospital called St. Croc of Shit?!

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Thursday, August 12, 2010, 16:30:26 »

What is the range of books like for these? For example, would one be able to get all the books required for a degree course?

We made a promise we swore we'd always remember... no retreat, baby, no surrender
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Thursday, August 12, 2010, 17:08:42 »

I don't see the point in the Kindle, an expensive one trick pony with the books from Amazon priced pretty much the same as the print versions (Apple prices for iPad books are pretty much the same). I've been looking for something to read books on and would get an iPad but it's a bit big, too expensive and not available subsidised by any networks (yet).

I'm tempted by the new Dell Streak which you can get for free on a £25 / 24 month contract (includes 3G and Wifi). Though there are rumours Apple will be releasing an iPad with a smaller screen within the next 6 months or so, I'll probably wait for that instead.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Thursday, August 12, 2010, 18:36:17 »

I don't see the point in the Kindle, an expensive one trick pony...

Apple will be releasing an iPad with a smaller screen within the next 6 months or so, I'll probably wait for that instead.

Do you work for the Gadget Show?
Talk Talk

« Reply #7 on: Thursday, August 12, 2010, 19:34:05 »

Nowt wrong with paper books. And you can kindle with them once read. Particularly if you are a Nazi.
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday, August 18, 2010, 20:03:09 »

I was just checking out the new Kindle on the Amazon website and I'm tempted. Didn't realise they'd dropped the price so much and made it smaller and not so gay looking.
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday, August 18, 2010, 20:42:21 »

Personally, I go to the library and buy a batch of books that they are getting rid of for 25p each. Sometimes you end up with crap, but others you bick up some good ones!

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
Fred Elliot
I REST MY FUCKING CASE

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday, August 18, 2010, 21:24:58 »

Personally, I go to the library and buy a batch of books that they are getting rid of for 25p each. Sometimes you end up with crap, but others you bick up some good ones!

I buy 5 books at a time from Marie Curie in Town, once read I give them back to them and buy another 5

about a quid each

Bonus
Lumps

« Reply #11 on: Wednesday, August 18, 2010, 21:52:26 »

And there's nothing wrong with CD's, or even vinyl, but I can't imagine you'll all say you can't see the point of those fancy IPOD things.

I think the ability to carry 3,500 books around in your pocket would be quite useful.

I also like the number of copyright free books that are available for free download. I might want one of these for Christmas.
Spy

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday, August 18, 2010, 22:01:07 »

there are rumours Apple will be releasing an iPad with a smaller screen within the next 6 months or so, I'll probably wait for that instead.

Wouldn't an iPad with a smaller screen basically be like a slightly more powerful iPhone 4 without the ability to make calls?
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday, August 18, 2010, 22:48:01 »

Pretty much all the books I want are technical / reference stuff, a Kindle is perfect for them especially if you download the books for free from torrents - it would pay for itself in no time for me.

Wouldn't an iPad with a smaller screen basically be like a slightly more powerful iPhone 4 without the ability to make calls?

It would, but then an iPod Touch is basically an iPhone without 3G. All three are pretty much the same device in different sizes and configurations, the different names are just for branding the products to certain markets.
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #14 on: Wednesday, August 18, 2010, 23:18:18 »

Doesn't it only work with books you have bought through Amazon?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
Print
Jump to: