Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 ... 8   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Sky Sports League 1 preview  (Read 33684 times)
nevillew
Tripping the light puntastic

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: Monday, August 2, 2010, 15:36:44 »

Going to be an exciting season for them then - pushing for promotion and battling relegation at the same time!

"You just never know which team is going to turn up"

Paolo Di Canio, it's Paolo Di Canio
reeves4england

We'll never die!

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: Monday, August 2, 2010, 15:58:05 »

They've got us down for 17th, which I'd hope is bollocks.

A columnist in the Times yesterday reckoned you'd overachieved last season, and that we'd finish in the play-off places.

Are you still in the market for a striker then? As Reg says, from the outside you've lost Greer and Paynter and nobody has come in to fill their boots yet?

Not teasing by the way, just an honest question.
A lot of us think we're still to see the best of Vincent Pericard, who could still come good but needs to do it soon. We're also looking at a guy who has impressed on trial from Nantes, and there are rumours that we're interested in Tresor Kandol too.
oxford_fan

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: Monday, August 2, 2010, 16:14:58 »

What was Pericard's problem last season? Form, fitness? Both?

Has he looked any better in pre-season? I see he scored a penalty in one match.

What strikers have you got other than Austin and Pericard? Do you play one up front?
STFC Bart

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: Monday, August 2, 2010, 16:15:20 »

Think we are a striker and centre half away from being a side that should be up there challenging.

Feel we need an inexperienced head in central defence- morrison/lecs are good prospects but feel we need someone experienced back there.

As for Notts County- who knows. But the UK insolvency rules are so lax that it isnt fair that teams take the 10 point deduction then basically practically have a clean slate. Agree with Fitton the whole thing needs tightening up
reeves4england

We'll never die!

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: Monday, August 2, 2010, 16:16:39 »

What was Pericard's problem last season? Form, fitness? Both?

Has he looked any better in pre-season? I see he scored a penalty in one match.

What strikers have you got other than Austin and Pericard? Do you play one up front?
We tend to play 2 up front, and it's looking like Austin and Pericard will be the pairing on Saturday. We also have Ball on loan from Man City but he looks more likely to play on the left. Other than that there's only Billy Bodin so we do need to get another one or two faces in.

It's hard to say what went wrong with Pericard. A bit of bad luck combined with only getting 20 minutes each week probably didn't help. Fitness also seemed to be a bit of a problem.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: Monday, August 2, 2010, 16:17:32 »

Think we are a striker and centre half away from being a side that should be up there challenging.

Shocked
Summerof69

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: Monday, August 2, 2010, 16:21:35 »

I think we'll be there challenging for auto. We might need an centre half, and if Dossevi signs, that'll sort out any striking problems.

I did predict we'll finish 5th last season, when interviewed by RS prior to the West Brom friendly last year, and I think we'll finish at least that this season.

BAZINGA !!

Join the Red Army Fund and donate at www.redarmyfund.co.uk

Join the Football Supporters Federation for FREE at www.fsf.org.uk/join.php
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: Monday, August 2, 2010, 16:42:54 »

Unless we sign another center back i think our success largely depends on lescinel/morrison. I'm not saying they won't, but i'm not expecting them to. Our defence was quite poor last season, and tbh it looks weaker now if anything.

Pericard will do his best I'm sure, but will he be the man to get 10-15 goals? I know we often said the same of paynter, Guess it just depends how optimistic you are about things.

It may be to say that do we actually need ferry and caddis, could the money have been spent in different areas of the pitch?

Deep down I'm not expecting us to do as well as last year, think we're looking at around 12th. Blind optimisim is a helluva lot more fun though, so here's to another play-off push

Things get better but they never get good
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: Monday, August 2, 2010, 16:57:21 »

Could the permanent signings of Ferry and Caddis be a statement of intent that may persuade Dossevi to sign?

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
oxonrobin

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: Monday, August 2, 2010, 16:58:34 »

I think I predicted us to finish 8th last year.

For our squad at the start of this season is looking far stronger than at the start of last season.
I think succes could depend on how well any current and future loans do this season.

Overall I predict 6th for us.
Barry Scott

« Reply #40 on: Monday, August 2, 2010, 17:18:07 »

If we sign Dossevi I'll be really pleased. Mainly because PL clubs were after him last season - which is probably for the wrong reasons.

I wonder whether after Brighton we'll be more or less optimistic? I'm almost scared that if we start well we won't have the fight we had last season. I'm getting all anxious now as the squad is now starting to look a bit special and if the defence comes together within a few games, we could be a real force.
chalkies_shorts

« Reply #41 on: Monday, August 2, 2010, 17:33:23 »

There is absolutely fuck all chance of Charlton finishing second. We are definitely top 6 this season. I've no doubt that if we don't sign a centre half and if JFL / Morrison don't step up we'll get one on loan. I'm more confident this season than I have been for many years. The squad is a shitload better this season than last. A centre half and a centre forward away from being an absolutely cracking squad. The latter is being worked on. 
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: Monday, August 2, 2010, 17:34:58 »

Easily the best squad we've had in 15 years, probably 17 years.
Iffy's Onion Bhaji
petulant

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: Monday, August 2, 2010, 17:36:35 »

I still remember 2003 when Kamara predicted us to be relegated before realising we'd signed the likes of Howard, Mooney and Igoe. Tit. Since then i've never even bothered taking notice of these sort of things.
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: Monday, August 2, 2010, 18:01:32 »

It's hard to say what went wrong with Pericard. A bit of bad luck combined with only getting 20 minutes each week probably didn't help. Fitness also seemed to be a bit of a problem.

I agree. One effort got cleared off the line, another one hit the post. If they go in it's a different story.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 ... 8   Go Up
Print
Jump to: