Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: 1 in 7 chance of playing Oxford...  (Read 17010 times)
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: Monday, August 2, 2010, 16:07:51 »

We're rivalry nomads because in recent years we've become victims of not having a rival league team in the same town and as a result of this Swindon Town will always happily be pretend rivals when needed Smiley

If Bristol Rovers are not in the same division as City, we'll be their rivals.
If Bristol City are not in the same division as Rovers, we'll be their rivals.
If Gillingham, Bournemouth, Cheltenham Town and co are needing attention, we'll be their rivals.

We've not played Reading at the CG for over eight years now and unless we draw Oxford in the Johnstone's Paint Trophy a decade will have past since Oxford visited the County Ground. That's a long time.

My old man always disliked Bristol City and Reading more than Oxford. Being raised in West Wiltshire, there were always more City and Rovers fans about than Oxford so there was more banter.

As for me, well, I dislike them all  Smiley

Of course you want to beat Oxfrod, in the same way you want to beat any of the clubs, there might be a particular reason for wanting to beat.  I'm sure many of our fans took more pleasure in doubling Leeds and Soton last season, than any win over Oxfrod.

After we got beat 4-0 by Rovers last season, I tried to explain to the Eastern European bird I was with at the time, why I couldn't eat the food she'd prepared, because I felt physically sick.

She couldn't start to understand....
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: Monday, August 2, 2010, 16:25:50 »

I'm sure many of our fans took more pleasure in doubling Leeds and Soton last season, than any win over Oxfrod.

Talking shite, you are...
nochee

« Reply #62 on: Monday, August 2, 2010, 16:30:17 »

Dunno about that, the 6-0 drubbing of Leeds was quite special  Beers
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: Monday, August 2, 2010, 16:31:46 »

Dont get me wrong. I enjoyed it.

The cockiness of some Leeds fans, the fact they were the pace setters for a while and no one gave us a hope in hell, same with Southampton particularly the away game.

...its still not Turbo x2 at the Manor though.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: Monday, August 2, 2010, 16:45:45 »

I'd still swap beating any side in L1 for a win v Oxford in the JPT....
chalkies_shorts

« Reply #65 on: Monday, August 2, 2010, 17:24:13 »

If we played the Scummers in the JPT at Swindon we'd only get 5-6k. A lot of people will stay away due to the shitload of trouble that would almost certainly occur plus the JPT is meaningless until you get to the Semi Finals.
I'd take beating those fuckers over a doulbe against Leeds or Soton any day - or in fact any other club. I hate them and always have and always will. As someone else said Robbo x 2 at the Manor - supporitng town doesn't get any better than that, particularly when you see Alexander's goal celebration in front of those retarded piss stains.   
Spencer_White

« Reply #66 on: Monday, August 2, 2010, 17:38:27 »

The first 2 rounds of the JPT really are dismal. Only chance of a decent crowd would be in the southern final or maybe semi final.

If we draw them in the first or second round you watch people start making excuses. Its too much trouble for a match with very little meaning.

Same goes for the scum. When the Pox last come down the bank wasnt half full. Not even near half full.

How the fuck are we going to sell out a JPT 1st or 2nd round game when we didnt sell out the Charlton PO semi final. As Reg said, Dreamland!
Iffy's Onion Bhaji
petulant

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: Monday, August 2, 2010, 17:44:34 »

I hope we draw you away now.

What a day that'd be. We'd bring a couple of thousand at least, and give you a run for your money on the pitch.

Here's hoping.

Agree with all of it apart from you giving us a run for our money. Your CG record is shocking. I really do hope we draw you at home because with the squad we have now I think we could brush you aside.
JanTheMan

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: Monday, August 2, 2010, 19:13:53 »

If we played the Scummers in the JPT at Swindon we'd only get 5-6k. A lot of people will stay away due to the shitload of trouble that would almost certainly occur plus the JPT is meaningless until you get to the Semi Finals.
I'd take beating those fuckers over a doulbe against Leeds or Soton any day - or in fact any other club. I hate them and always have and always will. As someone else said Robbo x 2 at the Manor - supporitng town doesn't get any better than that, particularly when you see Alexander's goal celebration in front of those retarded piss stains.   

Fucking excellent post.  Basically it's gonna be a shit crowd watching a shit game of football in a shit round of the really shit cup.  To add to that there will be a shit load of trouble and we run the risk, small though it maybe, of getting done over which as we found out last time is hyper shit - Yet you'd rate a win against Pox above Leeds/Saints etc. I couldn't agree more.
JanTheMan

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: Monday, August 2, 2010, 19:24:06 »

The first 2 rounds of the JPT really are dismal. Only chance of a decent crowd would be in the southern final or maybe semi final.

If we draw them in the first or second round you watch people start making excuses. Its too much trouble for a match with very little meaning.

Same goes for the scum. When the Pox last come down the bank wasnt half full. Not even near half full.

How the fuck are we going to sell out a JPT 1st or 2nd round game when we didnt sell out the Charlton PO semi final. As Reg said, Dreamland!

I reckon they would bring a lot, probably the full allocation.  Whilst they've only brought 1-2k on the majority of previous occasions, they would want to prove a point.  Look at some of their attendances last season.  As a whole, and without sounding like a Leeds fan, this would mean a lot more to the average pox fan than the average town fan. 
JanTheMan

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: Monday, August 2, 2010, 19:47:47 »

You live in a dream world....

Reg

I don't think i'm dreaming, certain smaller derbies are still reknown for their atmosphere/edginess.  Whilst attendances can be low due to families staying away, i'd say most town fans at Brighton on Saturday would consider going. 

I've read a couple a three of your 15330 posts and recall you not being that bothered by the pox.  Out of interest do you have a number 1 most hated team?
leefer

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: Monday, August 2, 2010, 19:56:33 »

Of course you want to beat Oxfrod, in the same way you want to beat any of the clubs, there might be a particular reason for wanting to beat.  I'm sure many of our fans took more pleasure in doubling Leeds and Soton last season, than any win over Oxfrod.

After we got beat 4-0 by Rovers last season, I tried to explain to the Eastern European bird I was with at the time, why I couldn't eat the food she'd prepared, because I felt physically sick.

She couldn't start to understand....

Are you sure she just wasnt a shit cook Reg!
Spy

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: Monday, August 2, 2010, 19:56:44 »

We've been over this argument before. Oxford are our main rivals as far as I'm concerned and I think the vast majority of fans would agree with me. It's definitely number one in terms of potential for trouble.
Crispy
Pink Jumper For Goalpost

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: Monday, August 2, 2010, 21:04:22 »

I've never seen Swindon Vs. Oxford, apart from on ITV AGES ago, FA cup i think, think we lost 2-1?

They've got muslamic rayguns, muslamic rayguns..
Processed Beats

I drop beats from this processed meat.

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: Monday, August 2, 2010, 21:06:24 »

I've also never been to a Swindon-Oxford derby. My only memory is that 1-0 FA Cup defeat, with that tosser Jefferson Louis scoring.

If we were to play them again, i'd prefer it to be a night game though, and in the latter stages of the JPT. The area final is two legs isn't it? That would give us two chances to beat the banana-arsed bastards! Cheesy
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up
Print
Jump to: