Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Karl Pilkington  (Read 11447 times)
kerry red

« Reply #60 on: Wednesday, April 16, 2014, 17:41:27 »

HOLY THREAD REVIVAL!

I've been watching The Moaning of Life.

The thing that gets me about Karl is that although he is an ignorant simpleton, it's difficult to disagree with a lot of the stuff he comes out with.

The thing is, is he a ignorant simpleton or is it just for effect?

And I really abhor Gervais. Makes my skin crawl - especially when he had to ad lib some awards ceremony a while back.
Bewster

We fucking love you Gumbo!

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: Wednesday, April 16, 2014, 17:44:57 »

The thing that gets me about Karl is that although he is an ignorant simpleton, it's difficult to disagree with a lot of the stuff he comes out with.

This is what he is all about, it is all black and white, he can't deal with anything else. I first became aware of him on RG podcasts in 2006 and it was laugh out loud funny but as usual Gervais brought it mainstream, milked it and I found it less and less funny
Honkytonk

Whoo Whoo!

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: Wednesday, April 16, 2014, 17:48:24 »

I just find it abhorrent that two of the most high-profile British celebrities people think of in America now are Ricky Gervais and Piers Morgan.

There goes 400 years of work portraying us as a reserved, sensible nation with great dignity.
Flashheart

« Reply #63 on: Wednesday, April 16, 2014, 17:56:37 »

The thing is, is he a ignorant simpleton or is it just for effect?

I've wondered the same thing. If it's the latter then he must be a fucking good actor.
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: Wednesday, April 16, 2014, 18:12:01 »

Ricky Gervais vehicles don't require Pacino-esque acting ability and that's a part of why Gervais/Merchant have done so well over the last 15 years.

Pilkington, in my opinion, is without a doubt a television alter-ego akin to Stephen Colbert's character in the United States.

Karl Pilkington is probably a 'character' in reality but some of the stuff he's done from the radio show to present is clearly staged (e.g. his diary from the early podcasts).

I don't watch 'An Idiot Abroad' and I don't think Gervais will ever get close to The Office but fair play to them, he's made the absolute most of his limited ability and used what's around him to create further success.

Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: Thursday, April 17, 2014, 08:31:05 »

I remember Gervais being questioned on Karl Pilkington and if it's staged. He said something like, I wish I could write a character like Karl. I think it is mostly natural, but he definitely plays on it a bit.

I love Gervais though. The Office, Extras, Idiot Abroad, The Ricky Gervais show, love them all! Well I wasn't a massive fan of that Life's Too Short one with Warwick Davis, but generally I am a fan. Oh, except for his films, they are generally pretty poor.
Iffy's Onion Bhaji
petulant

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: Thursday, April 17, 2014, 21:07:40 »

Gervais' stand up is pretty poor as well in my opinion. Not much a fan of Derek either although its made better with KP in it who adds a humerous slant.
Flashheart

« Reply #67 on: Thursday, April 17, 2014, 21:28:15 »

Gervais' stand up is pretty poor as well in my opinion.

I thought his stand-up was very good personally.

I do say thought as in past tense deliberately though. The guy has two tricks up his sleeves.... Religion and fat people. That's about it. As an atheist I think a lot of his stuff is/was funny and I love taking the piss out of religion. He also makes some good points that I agree with but the bloke really needs to change the fucking record. Occasionally at least.

I also find Gervais irritating. Fuck having somebody like that sat at your table in the pub.

All that asides, he has done a lot of great stuff. Or, perhaps more to the point, he and the people he has worked with (such as Merchant) have done some great stuff.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: Thursday, April 17, 2014, 22:05:45 »

Gervais' stand up is pretty poor as well in my opinion. Not much a fan of Derek either although its made better with KP in it who adds a humerous slant.

I cannot remember which one it was but watched about 15 minutes of one of his stand up DVD's until realised that all 4 of us had stopped watching because it wasn't very good.

Some of the stuff was almost borderline 1970s Jim Davidson, I.e. let's take the mickey out disabled people because they are different. If one of the old school comedians had done it people would be up in arms,  but because he was flavour of the month it was apparently great?

I agree he had done well by working with some very funny/clever people oh and by being David Brent which I suspect didn't take much acting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: