Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: BBC News: Swindon bid to bring back Obadeyi  (Read 9234 times)
Doore

« Reply #30 on: Thursday, July 22, 2010, 14:36:40 »

This calls for a poll: Tope or not Tope.
Don Rogers Shop

« Reply #31 on: Thursday, July 22, 2010, 14:41:30 »

Tope was not as bad as people make out.He played most games out wide for us,Wilson showed last year that if players dont perform on loan or not he will drop them so i don't see the problem.

If it's true anyway.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #32 on: Thursday, July 22, 2010, 14:55:03 »

Tope can in no way be put in the same bracket at Hutchinson.

Tope had pace, a bit of ball control, not the best finisher but nearly always tried.

Hes a year older and may be a year wiser for the experience, might well make a good left wing backup/striker backup, impact sub, lets face it his strike rate of 2 goals in 12 games is the same as Paynter was at the start of last season. Wink

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Barry Scott

« Reply #33 on: Thursday, July 22, 2010, 15:23:51 »

I thought Tope was good. He was also played out of position. When he was upfront I thought he looked very dangerous.

Also, didn't we take Tope last season as part of the agreement for Ward? I'm sure someone, perhaps DW, said that we were allowed Ward off of the back of taking Tope on loan for a period, or something like that. I am prone to making stuff up by the way.
Colin Todd

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: Thursday, July 22, 2010, 15:39:48 »

I thought Tope was good. He was also played out of position. When he was upfront I thought he looked very dangerous.

Also, didn't we take Tope last season as part of the agreement for Ward? I'm sure someone, perhaps DW, said that we were allowed Ward off of the back of taking Tope on loan for a period, or something like that. I am prone to making stuff up by the way.

Yeah he did say that he originally wanted ward, but got Tope instead (got mugged over there) but as a result of tope's positive feedback from his loan we were allowed Ward.  or something like that anyway
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #35 on: Thursday, July 22, 2010, 16:11:57 »

He could be equally shit and equally good in the blink of an eye. But he just ran forward without any idea what he was doing or was going to do, caused defences problems and we created chances because of him. He has a lot to learn but he'd be a fairly decent option for us and a bit different to most of our other players.

I think I'd prefer to see him on the wing if O'Brien isn't fit enough to play.
« Last Edit: Thursday, July 22, 2010, 16:35:51 by Si Pie » Logged
Colin Todd

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: Thursday, July 22, 2010, 16:30:15 »

I'd prefer to see him in boltons Reserves.

For quick and direct, read he just ran forward without any idea what he was doing or was going to do.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: Thursday, July 22, 2010, 16:34:51 »

My personal feeling is that this is to try and keep Bolton sweet and keep us in their heads in case Ward isn't in their team come November-December time.

That said, Tope wasn't that bad. Not half the player Ward was, but he is cursed with being referred to and thought of "Tope Odebayi and Ben Hutchinson" when he was far better than Hutch. As backup, or on the wing, he could do a job I'm sure.
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #38 on: Thursday, July 22, 2010, 16:44:33 »

At this level athletic players can be pretty good even if they don't have the best touch or skill.

But you can't have a complete winger:

McGovern - Not really a winger, great at what he does but he rarely runs at players.
O'Brien - Quick and can really run at players, or with the ball off the pitch. When he's fit enough to play.
McNamee - A little box of tricks. Could beat players for fun. Was too focussed on beating players that he never tracked  back and missed good crossing opportunities.
Ward - Not really a winger but played great there. The pick of this bunch I've listed (as a winger). Only criticism was that he could be a little too selfish but that's just a minor grievance.
Robson-Kanu - Quick and direct, sorry I mean ran forward without any idea what he was doing or was going to do.
Macklin - Couldn't break into the team and show us if he was any good.

Out of all these players Ward is the only stand out. But that's just because he was so class. I'm beginning to think the likes of Gary Stanley & Co are a bunch of spoilt kids.
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: Thursday, July 22, 2010, 17:25:03 »

To be fair, I thought Tope was the least shit of the strikers we had on loan last season (excluding Ward as he played on the wing) so if we're going to have one of them again I'm glad it's him. As Nemo said, I reckon part of it is to do Bolton a favour and get him some games so we're in their good books if they want to loan Ward out again.
Iffy's Onion Bhaji
petulant

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: Thursday, July 22, 2010, 17:29:14 »

Tope was alright but nothing amazing.
wiggy
Whippet fancying, T-shirt flogging cunt

Whippet Fancier

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: Thursday, July 22, 2010, 21:03:16 »

Tope was OK - but if he is coming back I hope he has learned the offside rule.

Thank [insert deity of choice] for beer and peanuts
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: Friday, July 23, 2010, 06:21:43 »

The fact the Tope was only 'ok' for us may be the very reason Wilson wants him. You need to have squad players who aren't going to be knocking on the manager's door every time they're not in the starting XI. This is obviously why DW offered new deals to Timlin and Easton.
Highland Robin

« Reply #43 on: Friday, July 23, 2010, 07:42:51 »

I agree...but we saw the problems of not having substitutes who are 'good enough' when needed, when Douglas got injured.....we need at least one 2nd choice in each 'zone' of the field who really is pushing for inclusion.  I don't know which category Obadeyi fits into because I only have others' judgements to go on, but I would worry at this stage if DW was bringing in people who would not be pressing for a regular place.
Colin Todd

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: Friday, July 23, 2010, 08:39:25 »

At this level athletic players can be pretty good even if they don't have the best touch or skill.

But you can't have a complete winger:

McGovern - Not really a winger, great at what he does but he rarely runs at players.
O'Brien - Quick and can really run at players, or with the ball off the pitch. When he's fit enough to play.
McNamee - A little box of tricks. Could beat players for fun. Was too focussed on beating players that he never tracked  back and missed good crossing opportunities.
Ward - Not really a winger but played great there. The pick of this bunch I've listed (as a winger). Only criticism was that he could be a little too selfish but that's just a minor grievance.
Robson-Kanu - Quick and direct, sorry I mean ran forward without any idea what he was doing or was going to do.
Macklin - Couldn't break into the team and show us if he was any good.

Out of all these players Ward is the only stand out. But that's just because he was so class. I'm beginning to think the likes of Gary Stanley & Co are a bunch of spoilt kids.

I agree that theres no such thing as a complete winger at our level, beacuse McGovern wouldnt be playing in league 1 if he had pace. Even Ricky Shakes would have been a good player if he could beat a man and cross.

But that doent mean Tope is any good. And to compare him to HRK is well wide of the mark in my opinion- HRK is a much better player.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
Print
Jump to: