Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 ... 13   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Adver News: TEF Suicide Watch...  (Read 23008 times)
STFC_Gazza

« Reply #30 on: Monday, July 12, 2010, 10:28:36 »

I am sure DW and AF will want to build on last season and not take a step back. There are plenty of decent players out there to make a difference and we may even have them in our squad already. Big year for Morrison though.

If Rich's quote is right it seems like DW and AF are quite pissed off that Greer wanted to see what Brighton had to say so he said well fuck off then.....

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: Monday, July 12, 2010, 10:33:45 »

i thought fitton said he wouldn't take less than £450,000 for greer?read it on here and not a direct quote, so was that bollocks?

i thought as soon as the move was on that it would be down to a better contract on offer from brighton that would tempt greer away.if fitton told him they had accepted a bid prior to any contact between greer and brighton then that changes it significantly.

we never get to hear the truth anyway as what they all tell the press is lies with a bit of truth in there.what i think is a must is that greer is replaced with a like for like player.we need a leader at the back. however people want to dress it up we have lost 2 key players from last year.both are big losses
juddie

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: Monday, July 12, 2010, 10:33:59 »

In a business sense, 250k for a player you got on a free is excellent. It's now up to them to spend it wisely.

I'm sure Wilson hadn't been looking for a defender, a colossus and potential captain, until now...
STFC_Gazza

« Reply #33 on: Monday, July 12, 2010, 10:46:31 »

Well whatever it sort of seems like it wasn't the happiest of endings really.....
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: Monday, July 12, 2010, 10:58:25 »

Everyone is being a bit harsh on LJF and Morrison and their ability to step up to replace Greer.

LJF has only ever played a few games at CB and got a lot of praise for most of them, and if Sheehan was available for the Leeds game its possible he would have kept his place ahead of Cuthbert. Give him some more games to get some experience and who knows what he'll be capable of.

Morrison had a poor season no doubt largely due to the injury, but the season before he was excellent. With a pre season he can start afresh and there is every chance he'll regain the form that we were all raving about at one point.

Sure we could do with an extra CB for cover, but for most of last season we were without cover in one position or another. Isn't one of the youth team players that just signed a contract a CB? Couldn't Douglas or Prutton fill cover in an emergency? Then there is always the loan market if necessary.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: Monday, July 12, 2010, 11:12:08 »

A year ago this would have worried me, now, I'm a bit non plussed to be honest.  We don't know what the money is, the Adver have taken a punt and when asked the club probably just said, yeah, print that, we are not telling you the exact amount.  More than £250,000 for a near 30 year old centre back in League One is still a lot of money.

Greer is probably going to be missed because he came in when we had an awful defence, with Ifil managing to miss out on having the blinders he could.  His consistent approach was something we hadn't seen in a while, but it's no more than a mid table team in this league should have.  Cuthbert coming in has shown that real quality exists, and can be had for a fraction of the cost.  NOw that we have the ability to pick up such talent, losing players like Greer need not be the issue many make it out to be.

Anyway, go back 12 months, everyone was in a state of frenzy about the lack of players.  We didn't do too badly.  We've just got to accept, that until we get decent crowds supporting the budget, if someone offers more than 1/4 million squids for good league one pro's in our team, it's likely they'd be sold, just as we'd sell Austin if someone came in with £1.5m plus right now.
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #36 on: Monday, July 12, 2010, 11:16:56 »

It's a good point Rob. Cuthbert has been just as influential in making our defense good in my opinion and we got him for a reported £100k.

In that respect Brighton have paid over the odds.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: Monday, July 12, 2010, 11:21:38 »

Quite, we sold Fallon for something in the same order as we've got for Greer.  Fallon was far more influential on that team than Greer is on the current team.  Greer was worth more to us 12-18 months ago mind.  Now, knowing we can sign players like Cuthbert, knowing he had 12 months on a contract to run, knowing he was not the stand out player in the last 6 months of his time here, knowing someone wanted to pay us a decent sum - it's business.  Any loss making club at this level (probably all bar Southampton and Sheff Weds) would have sold-up.

Morrison and Jean-Francois may not be able to step up, we don't know, but it won't cost us £300k or more to find someone who can.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: Monday, July 12, 2010, 11:29:47 »

If we picked up another player of Cuthberts ability for 100K then I'm sure everyone would think selling Greer a good bit of business.
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: Monday, July 12, 2010, 11:32:50 »

I might be wrong, but didn't our entire first team squad cost us less than £250k in transfer fees?

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: Monday, July 12, 2010, 12:07:04 »

it is only good business if greer is replaced with a player as good as,or better.if not it means the side is significantly weaker
Rich Pullen

« Reply #41 on: Monday, July 12, 2010, 12:08:31 »

...or we better last seasons performance without him regardless of replacement.

Time will tell.
« Last Edit: Monday, July 12, 2010, 12:10:12 by Rich Pullen » Logged
Barry Scott

« Reply #42 on: Monday, July 12, 2010, 12:12:37 »

...or we better last seasons performance without him regardless of replacement.

Time will tell.

This is what I'm thinking. All we need is either Morrison or Lex to come in and get some games and consistency. For what it's worth I think they could both do it given a few games.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: Monday, July 12, 2010, 12:15:45 »

Not replacing Gr££r could be the difference between 5th and 12th.

A loan signing from Man Citys youth team wont cut it either.

Replacing Gr££r and Paynter - with Pericard and Morrison - not good enough, doesnt improve the team in the slightest.

Long way to go before the season starts but at the moment we're going backwards.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: Monday, July 12, 2010, 12:22:59 »

Long way to go before the season starts but at the moment we're going backwards.

I think that's an unarguable fact. 
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 ... 13   Go Up
Print
Jump to: