Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: King realises at last  (Read 1942 times)
Kinky Tom
Snow Master Sandwich King.

Ignore
« on: Thursday, June 16, 2005, 11:14:47 »

http://www.thisisstfc.co.uk/news_headlines_story.asp

Wonder who the loan player from the hammers is.  Usually some good young talent there.
Kinky Tom

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Thursday, June 16, 2005, 11:15:45 »

Sorry, for those (PM) who cannot get onto thisis from work:

King’s hunt for a ‘know it all’
16th June 2005

ANDY King has targeted a strong, experienced midfielder as a priority to bolster his kindergarten squad next season.

The manager feels his band of troops will be a youthful one and he wants an old head for the engine room in the centre of the park.

King has lost a considerable amount of midfield experience with the respective departures of Matt Hewlett and Steve Robinson.

He said: “The main one I’m looking for is a strong, experienced type.

“We’ve lost a couple of players who know what this league’s about and experience is important.”

One name to catch King’s eye on the PFA released list is former Derby County and Nottingham Forest midfielder Darryl Powell, although he has not been in contact with the 33-year-old.

Powell, a former Jamaican international, was released by Forest following their relegation to League One at the end of last season.

Upon leaving the City Ground he said: “I still feel I’ve got enough energy to keep playing, and I’ll look to keep on playing for another couple of years.”

King admits that youth is likely to outweigh experience though when he examines the final make-up of his squad.

He said: “I think we’ll be looking at a young squad on the whole.”

King was meeting a number of transfer targets today, as well as bringing his board of directors up to speed on his wish list.

The Town boss has also revealed that he spoke to former Notts County and Sheffield United striker Tommy Johnson before his switch to Scunthorpe United.

It wasn’t an avenue King decided to pursue but the search for fresh faces is ongoing.

King is also hoping to speak to West Ham boss Alan Pardew regarding a possible loan deal for a player as his mobile phone bill continues to spiral.

He said: “I’m getting a lot of international dialling tones at the moment as all these managers seem to be on holiday. All you can do is keep trying.”

le god cuervo

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Thursday, June 16, 2005, 11:26:06 »

daryll powell would be a quality signing! very unlikely we could match his wages though
Piemonte

« Reply #3 on: Thursday, June 16, 2005, 11:37:32 »

Finally things are happening! we might even have a squad by the time the transfer window closes
magicroundabout
Fanta Pants

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Thursday, June 16, 2005, 11:39:07 »

King will come good people.
have faith in him

Kinky Tom

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Thursday, June 16, 2005, 11:41:48 »

Oh, I have faith in King identifying the right players, I'm just concerned about the financial issues pricing said players out of our market.  Good to see he'll be doing all he can though - which I never doubted he would, of course.
Johno

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Thursday, June 16, 2005, 12:16:07 »

Wow...we are actually getitng in touch with decent players. Shame that Tommy Johnson isn't signing for us, i reckon he could do a decent job. Daryl Powell is good too!
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Thursday, June 16, 2005, 12:40:10 »

wanting and getting are two different things
Johno

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Thursday, June 16, 2005, 13:22:39 »

Interview on official site with King. He says he has wanted to get Ashley Westwood, Anthony Barness but have both opted for championship clubs. He is also tracking a player from a championship club who is on a 2 year deal at the moment.
Kinky Tom

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Thursday, June 16, 2005, 13:23:57 »

I just read that too Johno, said he's meeting a player today too.  

Perhaps we'll have more news before the week is out.
Dazzza

« Reply #10 on: Thursday, June 16, 2005, 17:49:50 »

Mentioned TJ a while back but his best days look to really be behind him, 17 goals in six years and an injury record that makes Migs' time on the treatment table look like a weekend in Blackpool.

Think the club have shot themselves in the foot somewhat with the 1 year contract cap this season.

I'm all for airing on the side of caution both financially and with the risk factor of long term contracts but it looks like it may just cost us a lot of bargaining power.  Someone mentioned that the contracts offered to the likes of Igoe have been reduced on the incentive and bonus side of things.  Doesn’t leave much scope for an added incentive especially with the wage bill being further reduced next season.

Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #11 on: Thursday, June 16, 2005, 17:52:06 »

Unfortunately I think we have no choice but to err on the side of caution, even if it means losing out on decent players. If we can field a side capable of mid-table I will be quite happy.
DMR

« Reply #12 on: Thursday, June 16, 2005, 17:52:08 »

I don't understand the one year deal thing anyway.

If you're just going to offer them a new deal after a year anyway, why not make the first one a 2 year contract?

I understand a 1 year job for a new signing because they might be shit but someone like Evans, Smith or Heywood should've got a lobger offer.
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #13 on: Thursday, June 16, 2005, 17:53:21 »

Because if all those players get injuries like Migs did or even as bad as O'Halloran we would be fucked.
Whits
Morphined Up

« Reply #14 on: Thursday, June 16, 2005, 18:13:23 »

i was talking to mate at work today about Darryl Powell and he according to him got booed off the pitch most games. to be fair though he is the kind of dog we need in the middle, someone to dish it out a bit!  Cheesy

Plays in midfield and his name is Tommy Miller,
signed him from Huddersfield his name is Tommy Miller,
first touch is average but his second is a killer,
heeeeeey Tommy Miller!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to: